Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Works Fee: Refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

The Works Fee: Refundable?

I was looking at a flight on Frontier for Thanksgiving--and it is a lot less expensive than competitors. It looks like if I order "the works" package I get full refundability. This would be a good deal as I may need to change plans--But, if we cancel, do we get a refund on both the fare and "the works" extra fee? Or do we lose the extra charge for "the works"?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Not 100% but I was pretty sure it does, your best bet is to use facebook or twitter to ask but I believe your fare (which the upgrade fee should include) would be refundable.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Frontier Ascent
I had that same question—so I called customer service. For what it's worth, the rep told me the WORKS fee is NOT refundable, just the base fare.

Frontier, if you are reading this thread, please reconsider this for a couple of reasons:

• The way you are marketing the WORKS bundle says it is REFUNDABLE. There is no mention in the fine print that the bundle fee isn't refundable. That makes the entire tick price NOT fully refundable. As a long time Frontier Elite (nee Summit, Ascent, etc), I am factoring this in now when I price Frontier vs Southwest.

• The WORKS bundle is not cheap (starting at $49 each way). That means a minimum of $100 of the fare is gone if you cancel. You say this is like SW not refunding the Early Bird Access fee if you cancel a rez? Yes, but that is only $12.50. And SW discloses the rules on Early Bird fees on their site—even offering to transfer the fee to a changed flight if certain rules are met. And the Early Bird fee isn't promising "refundability."

• The Department of Transportation will probably take a very dim view of this lack of disclosure. The potential fine would run into the millions—not something that the airline or its shareholders should risk.

I discovered all this when I noticed a fare drop in a DEN-LAX flight. I considered canceling the first ticket (it was REFUNDABLE, right?), but then the phone rep told me I'd lose the works fee, meaning there would be no savings. So here is the work around:

1. Change the flight to an earlier or later time on the same day. Assuming all the flights on that day are the new sale price (in my case, it was), this generates a credit if the flight is less than your original fare. For me, this was a $120 savings across three tix.

2. Then change the flight back to the original time (and reselect seats). Voila! No charge for changes and you now have the credit to use for future travel.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:34 am

I'm not sure the rep gave you correct information. I've found they often don't know the real policy but you're right Frontier does not do a good job of explaining the fine points of the rules.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Frontier Ascent
That could be. As I said, "for what it's worth" that's what the rep said! Yes, I have often received wrong info on the phone,
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by frozenfire
I had that same question—so I called customer service. For what it's worth, the rep told me the WORKS fee is NOT refundable, just the base fare.

Frontier, if you are reading this thread, please reconsider this for a couple of reasons:

• The way you are marketing the WORKS bundle says it is REFUNDABLE. There is no mention in the fine print that the bundle fee isn't refundable. That makes the entire tick price NOT fully refundable. As a long time Frontier Elite (nee Summit, Ascent, etc), I am factoring this in now when I price Frontier vs Southwest.

• The WORKS bundle is not cheap (starting at $49 each way). That means a minimum of $100 of the fare is gone if you cancel. You say this is like SW not refunding the Early Bird Access fee if you cancel a rez? Yes, but that is only $12.50. And SW discloses the rules on Early Bird fees on their site—even offering to transfer the fee to a changed flight if certain rules are met. And the Early Bird fee isn't promising "refundability."

• The Department of Transportation will probably take a very dim view of this lack of disclosure. The potential fine would run into the millions—not something that the airline or its shareholders should risk.

I discovered all this when I noticed a fare drop in a DEN-LAX flight. I considered canceling the first ticket (it was REFUNDABLE, right?), but then the phone rep told me I'd lose the works fee, meaning there would be no savings. So here is the work around:

1. Change the flight to an earlier or later time on the same day. Assuming all the flights on that day are the new sale price (in my case, it was), this generates a credit if the flight is less than your original fare. For me, this was a $120 savings across three tix.

2. Then change the flight back to the original time (and reselect seats). Voila! No charge for changes and you now have the credit to use for future travel.
I'm in a similar boat, my flight's fare dropped and I have the works. My question to you is did you keep the works? I have no problem changing the same day then changing back, but want to make sure that I keep the works for the seat assignment/checked/carry bag? I would think they would credit the account over the phone?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:59 pm

Refund on "The Works" fee - Frontier Airlines

I just called Frontier Airlines (801-401-9000) about "The Works" refund. The agent told me it is refundable (ticket price + "The Works" fee). She personally handled this type refund before. If one calls the customer service to cancel the reservation (24 hours before the flight) the refund will be handled correctly. If you submit cancellation online you will need to submit a form to get refund. Call customer service if the refund is not correct.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:49 pm

I realize this thread is a little old, so it's possible policies have changed, but question on the changing itineraries back and forth for the credit--Frontier has listed under their change fee section:

All exchanges have no residual value when exchanged for a purchase of lesser value.

Does this mean they no longer will issue pax an airline credit for the difference? Anyone have any experience with this or input?

Thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by cmc4ewva
I realize this thread is a little old, so it's possible policies have changed, but question on the changing itineraries back and forth for the credit--Frontier has listed under their change fee section:

All exchanges have no residual value when exchanged for a purchase of lesser value.

Does this mean they no longer will issue pax an airline credit for the difference? Anyone have any experience with this or input?

Thanks!
If you cancel a Works ticket you get a refund, if however you purchase a ticket and the price goes down you get no refund for the difference. Of course you could Cancel a Works ticket and purchase the ticket again. They might issue a credit for a Works ticket, but for a normal fare you bought it you're stuck with it.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:09 pm

Thanks for the input! That's what I thought I was reading and wanted to be sure I wasn't going crazy!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:10 pm

Also, an update:

Just received the following message from Frontier. Has anyone actually tried to change flights and has either received or not received a credit when using the Works package? Customer service response seems to contradict the website (original post).

Thank you for contacting Frontier Airlines Customer Relations regarding The Works package.

If a scenario where this would be needed, if you just email me back, I would be more than glad to help you out and issue you a credit for the fare difference.

For Future Frontier Flights

Below are some links for of our bundled packages, The Works and The Perks. Each option bundles extra services such as bags and seats, in one low price.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta
If the fare goes down, you can call to get a full refund to your credit card (fare + The Works fee), then go online and book again. I did this earlier this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.