TTN: Possible additional expansion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
TTN: Possible additional expansion

Was over at a.net and someone found some info buried in an article from the local paper, The Times of Trenton (sometimes refered to as the Trenton Times).

"Frontier Airlines began flying out of the Ewing airport in November, offering cheap flights to Orlando, Fla. The Denver company has already announced it will expand service to Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Fort Myers, Fla. and to New Orleans. The company said yesterday it will make another announcement on expanded service on Monday but did not provide further details."

Some people are speculating that it could be TTN-DEN seasonally which is what I would like to see personally but it could also be DAILY service to MCO. Who knows hopefully we will find out on Monday.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
sorry article here

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...on-mercer.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:03 am

Trenton Expansion

Looks like five new routes of of Trenton are coming April 8th:

Chicago
Raleigh
Atlanta
Detroit
Columbus

Service appears to be less than daily -- I'm having a hard time getting the Frontier site to respond consistantly at the moment to find out. But elsewhere I've seen reported 6x/week to MDW and RDU, 4x/week to ATL and DTW, and 3x/week to CMH.

If nothing else, this is curious stuff. The previous stuff -- Florida and even New Orleans in spring -- makes sense to serve people in greater New Jersey to sun destinations. But these are a tad different. There's certainly VFR leisure traffic to these cities, but enough to support this service...especially Columbus and Raleigh? They are not only the smallest markets, but the closest ones at about 7 hours drive. Perhaps they will also market this heavily as a cheap way to get from those places to NY and PHL?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by knope2001
Looks like five new routes of of Trenton are coming April 8th:

Chicago
Raleigh
Atlanta
Detroit
Columbus

Service appears to be less than daily -- I'm having a hard time getting the Frontier site to respond consistantly at the moment to find out. But elsewhere I've seen reported 6x/week to MDW and RDU, 4x/week to ATL and DTW, and 3x/week to CMH.
Wow, that was unexpected!

Originally Posted by knope2001
If nothing else, this is curious stuff. The previous stuff -- Florida and even New Orleans in spring -- makes sense to serve people in greater New Jersey to sun destinations. But these are a tad different. There's certainly VFR leisure traffic to these cities, but enough to support this service...especially Columbus and Raleigh? They are not only the smallest markets, but the closest ones at about 7 hours drive. Perhaps they will also market this heavily as a cheap way to get from those places to NY and PHL?
That would be my guess. TTN will be F9's gateway to NY and PHL. How difficult is it to get from Amtrak to the airport in TTN? Might be a hassle free way to get to downtown NY without dealing with LGA or JFK.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromMKE
TTN will be F9's gateway to NY and PHL. How difficult is it to get from Amtrak to the airport in TTN? Might be a hassle free way to get to downtown NY without dealing with LGA or JFK.
I'm not sure how flying into TTN would be easier than using LGA, JFK or even EWR. If anything, it would be more of a hassle to fly into a secondary airport and then take a train to Manhattan just to save a few bucks.

For most of the new additions, there is already robust non-stop service to New York on multiple carriers.

It's interesting that Frontier is re-opening the CMH and RDU stations just for the TTN flights.

It's also noteworthy that Frontier selected DTW and ATL (Delta hubs) and CMH (a Delta focus city) for service. I wonder if we will see any type of retaliation from Delta this time around. It wasn't pretty when Frontier announced MCI-MSP.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:36 am

Press release http://media.flyfrontier.com/article...rticle_id=5418

Special fares to TTN from Fla (specific dates and flights) for $29 OW:

TPA-TTN F9 932 on 01/31/2013
RSW-TTN F9 904 on 01/31/2013
MCO-TTN F9 316 on 01/30/2013

Apply promo code "Choice" for 5% discount.

Special intro fares @$29 also available for some of the newly-announced TTN routes.

Last edited by mke9499; Jan 7, 2013 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000
I'm not sure how flying into TTN would be easier than using LGA, JFK or even EWR. If anything, it would be more of a hassle to fly into a secondary airport and then take a train to Manhattan just to save a few bucks.
Yes, it's definitely not a convenient thing to get to Manhattan. I'd guess the leisure traffic that would find it convenient are those traveling to places in suburbia who don't want to deal with NY traffic. That probably means true VFR traffic (visiting friends and relatives) as opposed to people going to NYC to see the classic NYC stuff.

It's interesting that Frontier is re-opening the CMH and RDU stations just for the TTN flights.
I do have to smile and shake my head a little bit about those lost stations being reopened, but so it goes. With so many markets seeing less-than-daily service, I suspect they're getting good at how to staff those sorts of low-frequency stations.

It's also noteworthy that Frontier selected DTW and ATL (Delta hubs) and CMH (a Delta focus city) for service. I wonder if we will see any type of retaliation from Delta this time around. It wasn't pretty when Frontier announced MCI-MSP.
LOL...I would sure hope not, but "never" is a dangrous word.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Interesting choices, to be sure...and Frontier has an edge because they don't mind selling cheap nonstops. So they may be able to siphon off a bit of PHL traffic without competing head-on with US at the same airport.

Plus, I've got to imagine that Trenton is much easier to deal with, both coming in and going out, than any of the big commercial airports in the area. That's got to count for something.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
How many routes has already existed? I think FLL, MSY, MCO, TPA, RSW and etc.

I'm glad to hear it. Let's keep'em it coming!!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
-dupe-

Last edited by DrivingRain; Jan 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Enjoy the routes and fly em while you can.

Hopefully they get the business they need to keep the routes and expand.

If Memory serves DL and Shuttle America/US, Eastwind (the Bee) were there and so was UA but they did not last too long due to limited routes and freq., so lets see if they learn from the past
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Seems to be another thread already out there....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/front...expansion.html
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:43 am

Are there any Rental Car places, easy public transportation near TTN? Hope it survives. Because it seems like people need to fly to places and not go to Philly and NYC area airports without traffic and congestion.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by Earthlings
Are there any Rental Car places, easy public transportation near TTN? Hope it survives. Because it seems like people need to fly to places and not go to Philly and NYC area airports without traffic and congestion.
I was looking into it yesterday, and TTN has an Avis on site. It is also a few minutes from the West Trenton Philidelphia rail station, and a few more minutes from the Trenton Transit Center with numerous rail connections to NYC and PHL.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:24 pm

Living in the area, this airport is really best if your destination/origin is within a comfortable drive of the airport (personal or rental vehicle). There are many train connections in Trenton, but once you factor in the taxi ride plus either SEPTA/NJ Transit, might as well use PHL or EWR. Sweet spot includes Bucks County PA, Mercer County NJ (including Princeton, all the companies along US-1), and southern parts of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties NJ.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about the airport or area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.