Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Some investors want to buy F9 and move to New Orleans

Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit

This is a bit interesting:

http://newfrontierairlines.com/
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I can't see this being pretty at all if this happens. NOL doesn't have the O&D market and too far south for a full fledge hub. A small focus city sure but a hub no way.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
1) Gawdawful livery.

2) MSY will need another runway to hope to meet the takeoffs/landings, I would think.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
Don't see this working at all. NO doesn't have the traffic (especially business traffic) to support such a hub. And what airline is going to be running the service to Europe and China they talk about? I can't see anyone doing that without a ton of $$ being through at them by the airport.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Anyone can set up an impressive website.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tvnwz
Anyone can set up an impressive website.
And in this case, the website's not even particularly impressive.

More chewy goodness here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...ml?ana=RSS_wid

Republic spokesman Peter Kowalchuk...did say that “Frontier is a valuable member of the Denver community and the Denver community is the home of Frontier. I’d say that for our employees in Denver, this [M7’s interest in Frontier] isn’t something that our employees should lose sleep over.”

At its annual meeting Aug. 1, Republic executives said they expect to sell or spin off Frontier in the first half of 2013.

Asked about progress toward a sale or spinoff, Kowalchuk said: “That process continues, and it’s moving slower than we anticipated.”

Last edited by DenverBrian; Oct 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Wow. Amazing, just think of all the things they can do if they buy Frontier, and move the hub to New Orleans. I'm sure they won't alienate any of Frontier's core customer base.

They'll guarantee same day roundtrip service to all major national business markets. They'll build a $2 billion dollar new terminal because of all the new passengers. This will create a demand for high speed rail to Baton Rouge. Worldwide non-stop codeshares immediately. Latin American medical care will move from Miami and Houston to NOLA.

This is obviously a well thought out and strategic plan. Makes you wonder how someone didn't think to build an airline based in NOLA before. Investors with billions for the new terminal and high speed rail must be lining up to back this plan.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
As a local New Orleanian, I can honestly say that this has a snowball's chance in hell of actually happening. Both the mayor and the airport director are not in support of this project, as it would potentially hurt the existing service we have with other carriers.

It would be great to have a small focus city operation to some regional destinations, but that's about all the area could support right now. I'm also excited about Spirit beginning ops here. I think they have the potential to build a decent sized operation here given the tourism market.

The region is actually well served for a metro of it's size. The largest markets without non-stop service are SEA, SAN, AUS, and RDU. I don't see F9 ever taking on any of these routes.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:50 pm

Almost as good as a idea as Avatar Airlines! I even think the NO people were around when Frontier went into bankruptcy, they were brought up a couple times when I worked at Frontier.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASDwxguy
As a local New Orleanian, I can honestly say that this has a snowball's chance in hell of actually happening. Both the mayor and the airport director are not in support of this project, as it would potentially hurt the existing service we have with other carriers.

It would be great to have a small focus city operation to some regional destinations, but that's about all the area could support right now. I'm also excited about Spirit beginning ops here. I think they have the potential to build a decent sized operation here given the tourism market.

The region is actually well served for a metro of it's size. The largest markets without non-stop service are SEA, SAN, AUS, and RDU. I don't see F9 ever taking on any of these routes.
Welcome to FlyerTalk! I dunno about Spirit, though - if they can find a way to make you bring your own seat to the plane, they'll do it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Makes you wonder how someone didn't think to build an airline based in NOLA before.
Pride Air.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Agree about Spirit in terms of customer service, but from a tourism industry perspective it should help bring in a few more customers. Especially those people who want to visit, but can't afford a fare on the legacy carriers. I'm actually shocked we don't have Allegiant service yet. The area is a large tourist destination, and we have 3 different cruise lines sailing out of here. You'd think the cruise lines and hotels would get some sort of package deals going with them.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
Forget the cookie and the animal crackers...bring on the beads!

So many jokes, so little time...

It is interesting to see how the 'smart money' makes money. Get the taxpayers to subsidize your business. I wonder how they determine 'incremental passengers'. Are they starting from the depressed base or ???

At least Frontier pilots are used to rough air and tornadoes in Colorado. Now on to hurricanes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.