Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And then there were seven...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by mke9499
Maybe MKE should see if they are interested in returning; I believe they do okay out of MSP.
I am not as tuned in to MSP as when I lived there. However, I am in terminal 2 of MSP with some regularity and my sense is that they seem to always have crowded gates.

You may recall that they were on the verge of going away when their owner was thrown in jail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Petters, but have definitely resurrected themselves.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I just saw this and don't fly Frontier, but too bad the LGA-MCI flight is disappearing...Delta serves it well at least.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I am not as tuned in to MSP as when I lived there. However, I am in terminal 2 of MSP with some regularity and my sense is that they seem to always have crowded gates.

You may recall that they were on the verge of going away when their owner was thrown in jail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Petters, but have definitely resurrected themselves.
Purchased last year by Cambria Holdings, SY appears to be doing well. I think one of the most overused terms in airline marketing these days is "Hometown Airline," which is how Sun Country refers to its relationship with MSP.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
If common sense rules... (Ticket counter to gate walk)

It would put DL on E. WN/FL/F9 on D and the rest on C.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by traveller001
If common sense rules... (Ticket counter to gate walk)

It would put DL on E. WN/FL/F9 on D and the rest on C.
The counters are there now because that's how the gates are aligned. Counter space is easy to change...
Old May 21, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
My bet on what will happen: They will keep all concourses open and spread the misery. While we may be over-gated, I do not think the airport, the county, or anyone else wants to put MKE in the position of being one of those dreaded cities with mothballed concourses. It just looks bad for business and is a losing strategy on the perception front.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The upside is that all the good stores and restaurants are all landside, so at least they'll be minimally affected by the drop.

Downside, an airside connector is never going to happen.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
The upside is that all the good stores and restaurants are all landside, so at least they'll be minimally affected by the drop.

Downside, an airside connector is never going to happen.
True the logistics of airside in MKE is a real issue. Though any boarding pass is welcome on any concourse if you want to do security multiple times.

Debatable is good stores and restaurants... Stores are all the same. Items offered is somewhat limited airside the exceptions are Renaissance Book Shop , House of Harley and Brooks Brothers those being landside.

Landside my fav restaurant is the Mitchell's Cafe. Not a fast food place and you can request subsitutions as you like. Prices very reasonable at least for an airport. Northpoint in my opinion is overpriced but serves a decent burger made to order plus Custard.

And don't forget you can play ping pong for free in the main terminal...

Heard good reviews for Cooler by the Lake on "E" and myself I can say Nona's on "D" is very spotty sometimes great sometimes leaving me saying why did I do this? Hint I don't go there anymore except for gelato. Usinger's on "D" is fashioned like a Deli... Not a great Bratwurst not being char grilled. "C" offers French Meadow with breakfast omelets (decent) and later sandwiches/salads. Otherwise you have Chili's Too where everything on the menu seems to taste similar but they have a nice bar enabling you to forget what you want. Pizzaria Picola has some unique tasty pizza's and a beer bar but price is higher than Milwaukeeans would usally pay.

Last edited by traveller001; May 24, 2012 at 1:53 am
Old May 24, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Though any boarding pass is welcome on any concourse if you want to do security multiple times.
I believe that TSA can get a little testy when you traverse security multiple times and you open yourself up for a little extra screening. I believe that is why they mark your boarding pass as you pass through ( though I am sure a terrorist would simply print out multiple boarding passes )
Old May 24, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I can say Nona's on "D" is very spotty sometimes great sometimes leaving me saying why did I do this? Hint I don't go there anymore except for gelato.
I thought it was just me. I am not a fan. And not a fan of Northpoint. They cremate the burgers there. Can't get a medium rare. Over priced and over done.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm certainly late to this thread but I want to say I'm sorry to any Milwaukee residents, especially legacy YX people, this must really sting
Old May 24, 2012, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm certainly late to this thread but I want to say I'm sorry to any Milwaukee residents, especially legacy YX people, this must really sting
Kind of you to say. Though I'm of course a big airline freak, many of my coworkers who also travel frequently are really at a loss on what to do and who to fly. Its not just a matter of do we go to Southwest or not. Southwest can't meet many of our needs.

As I write this I'm on a delayed MCI DEN MKE flight, and I flew thus way to get my 20th segment to renew Ascent for 2013 after many years of Summit / Yx Executive. 20 Paid segments so far in 2012 on F9 and likely zero more for the last 7 months of 2012. At least elite benefits for free vacation travel.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by knope2001
As I write this I'm on a delayed MCI DEN MKE flight...
Brutal my friend. Just brutal.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I thought it was just me. I am not a fan. And not a fan of Northpoint. They cremate the burgers there. Can't get a medium rare. Over priced and over done.
The last few times I ordered a burger they asked Medium or Well? Perhaps try again? The Bacon Bleu is great.

But the BLT at Mitchell Cafe and sub their finely sliced onion rings is the bomb.
Old May 25, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by tvnwz
My bet on what will happen: They will keep all concourses open and spread the misery. While we may be over-gated, I do not think the airport, the county, or anyone else wants to put MKE in the position of being one of those dreaded cities with mothballed concourses. It just looks bad for business and is a losing strategy on the perception front.
Hey, it's life, shite happens. MKE is a nice small/medium airport and I have to think with time it will be back. MKE is no CVG.

BWI went though a similar episode in the early 2000's with the implosion of USairways. The circumstance was similiar to MKE in that WN @ BWI wiped the floor with USairways from a competitive standpoint. BWI's concourse D became ghostly for about 3, 4 years. There is life after dehubbing, certainly not the same as it was. From an efficiency perspective perhaps a dark concourse would be warranted. Also, bustling concourses are better than half or 3/4 empty concourses- better vibe.

Personally I'd like to see a high speed rail maybe between RHI, CWA, Oshkosh, and MKE. Would this be great for MKE airport, IMO yes. Will this happen in a million years? probably no/

Last edited by hazelrah; May 25, 2012 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.