Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route Cuts Including Newark

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I could see UA upgauging MKE-EWR to at least a CR7, and US doing the same for MKE-PHL

Beyond that I can't see WN doing much from MKE to other than their own focus cities. Going to other hubs will be a disaster, and WN has already shown that it can't compete with even US.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Beyond that I can't see WN doing much from MKE to other than their own focus cities. Going to other hubs will be a disaster, and WN has already shown that it can't compete with even US.
You can ask US' ex-employees in BWI and LAS about that, where WN's domination was total.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Purely speculation, but I can't realistically see WN keeping a transitioned MKE any larger than they have kept BNA pre-ATL. That would be 24 cities. Right now at MKE, the combined WN+FL has somewhere in the high 20s - I want to say 27 after you take out the duplicates, but I may be off by a couple.

But I can just as easily see WN take MKE down further to 19-20 cities, more like a SAN or an OAK. I don't think they'll take it far down as a RDU or and SLC, with only 13-14 cities.

Last edited by ElmhurstNick; Feb 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm
Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Southwest should be able to function from MKE with a route network like the following at about 48-50 flights per weekday:
- Core connections: ATL, BWI, STL, MCI, DEN
- Secondary connections: BNA, HOU, PHX, LAS
- Business markets: LGA, BOS, MSP, LAX
- Sunny markets (seasonal?): TPA, MCO, FLL, CUN
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Purely speculation, but I can't realistically see WN keeping a transitioned MKE any larger than they have kept BNA pre-ATL. That would be 24 cities. Right now at MKE, the combined WN+FL has somewhere in the high 20s - I want to say 27 after you take out the duplicates, but I may be off by a couple.

But I can just as easily see WN take MKE down further to 19-20 cities, more like a SAN or an OAK. I don't think they'll take it far down as a RDU or and SLC, with only 13-14 cities.
If WN used Milwaukee like it uses Oakland that would be great. They have over 100 flights in Oakland. Realistically I think that they will stay where they are for now. They are in a dominant position in MKE and have a monopoly on a lot of routes which means they can charge more money.

Southwest should be able to function from MKE with a route network like the following at about 48-50 flights per weekday:
- Core connections: ATL, BWI, STL, MCI, DEN
- Secondary connections: BNA, HOU, PHX, LAS
- Business markets: LGA, BOS, MSP, LAX
- Sunny markets (seasonal?): TPA, MCO, FLL, CUN
add SFO and SEA to business markets and I think you got it

Last edited by MikeFromMKE; Feb 15, 2012 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe2000

4) The Midwest stockholders voted overwhelmingly to accept the TPG/NW offer.
Of course they voted for it; with all the phony-baloney capital provided by Northwest they probably got a 600% premium over what Midwest was worth.

Originally Posted by piotrkol1
The service cuts and layoffs show Frontier has lost the Milwaukee battle with Southwest and AirTran that started in 2009, Sorensen said. Frontier's owner, Republic Airways Holdings Inc., is seeking a buyer for the airline, but Sorensen believes those efforts are futile.

"This airline will fail," he said. "There's nothing left to buy."

I do find it interesting though that he thinks WN is likely to pick up MKE-EWR/PHL.
Southwest is brilliant, absolutey brilliant. There was real value in Air Tran and there is real value in the MKE market.

It's good to see WN's success at MKE and DEN, despite the NW phony-baloney captial infusion.

Last edited by MikeFromMKE; Feb 16, 2012 at 7:59 am
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Southwest is brilliant, absolutey brilliant. There was real value in Air Tran and there is real value in the MKE market.

It's good to see WN's success at MKE and DEN, despite the NW phony-baloney captial infusion.
Welcome back
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:13 am
Original Poster

The past is never dead. It's not even past.
William Faulkner
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tim34
If WN used Milwaukee like it uses Oakland that would be great. They have over 100 flights in Oakland.
I meant more in terms of the number of non-stop destinations, not the number of flights. OAK has a lot of high-volume routes, where I don't think any destination from MKE would be more than 4x/day and many would only be 2x/day.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Quote: MCO will probably be cut in September (I'm surprised they're even keeping it this summer with AirTran going up to 4x daily).

I'm surprised they would drop MKE-MCO. I fly that fairly regularly and it's usually very full. Of course I'm not on it every day...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Wisconsin
Quote: MCO will probably be cut in September (I'm surprised they're even keeping it this summer with AirTran going up to 4x daily).

I'm surprised they would drop MKE-MCO. I fly that fairly regularly and it's usually very full. Of course I'm not on it every day...
Leisure markets generally have junky yields.
A full flight doesn't mean full profits.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:32 am

I meant more in terms of the number of non-stop destinations, not the number of flights. OAK has a lot of high-volume routes, where I don't think any destination from MKE would be more than 4x/day and many would only be 2x/day.
I believe delta flies to MSP, DTW and to ATL more then that. I know delta flies to MSP at least 7 times a day on mainline aircraft.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Midwest Miles, Early Returns
Listening to the Bucks game last night on the radio, the Frontier commercial says, "...Now over 50 departures from Milwaukee!..." Obviously an OLD commercial!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You can ask US' ex-employees in BWI and LAS about that, where WN's domination was total.
True, but US has managed to hold their own in PHX and, quite surprisingly IMHO, put the total smack down on SWA in PHL.

Having lived in Chicago, there are a number of Chicagoans who will drive (or take the train) to MKE rather than ORD or MDW, plus the people who actually live in MKE, so I think MKE will always have a greater level of service than other cities of similar size, but I think the hub days are gone.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
True, but US has managed to hold their own in PHX and, quite surprisingly IMHO, put the total smack down on SWA in PHL.
Southwest in PHL still has 50% more flights than US has out of LAS. As for 5-year trends in PHX, I don't have any data at hand. That puts US' record vs. WN at no better than 1-2-1 in my book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.