Thought on closing Early Returns account

Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thought on closing Early Returns account

Given all of the things going on with Frontier, I have thought about using up the rest of my F9 miles, and closing my account. Has anybody else done this? I have about 240,000 miles right now...

Thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:36 am

What's the point? You now have an opportunity to accrue miles on Midwest Airlines, in addition to Frontier, and you can get 1.25 pcnt or 1.50 percent more miles if you buy the slightly upgraded tickets. If you reach Summit/Ascent status you are entitled to the "Stretch" seats for no additional charge, so it seems like you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face if you cancelled your account.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I thought about it because I have been flying UA much more than F9. I feel that I get more bang for my buck with UA.. For the lowest status you can reach on UA, Premier, you get free E+, free bags, priority boarding and security, free upgrades, and other opportunities.

I've been Summit for seven years, and just don't see a point in keeping the status... I don't fly Midwest, so it wouldn't matter to me if I got some extra miles... I already have a ton to burn..
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Well you could easily drop the status but there is no reason to dump the account completely. The miles can sit there until you feel like using them. I'd wait until we know more about what Frontier/Midwest is going to look like at this time next year.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: no elite status, but i get around
While in bankruptcy, wife and I drained our accounts for tickets to Mexico. This is when F9s future looked ugly. We have since built these balances back up and have hope F9 is here to stay in some form, thus making our miles valuable.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 3:21 pm

I agree with Mike and AZstar...I don't see the point.

Feel free to change your allegiance over to United, but there is no benefit to closing your account with Frontier. Might as well keep it open, earn miles if you ever fly them again, and use your existing miles for reward redemption when the time is right.

There is always the chance that your accrued miles become valueless in the future. If that's your concern, then I would use your current miles, but still leave your account open.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: LH Miles & More, F9 Early Returns
Originally Posted by azstar
What's the point? You now have an opportunity to accrue miles on Midwest Airlines, in addition to Frontier, and you can get 1.25 pcnt or 1.50 percent more miles if you buy the slightly upgraded tickets. If you reach Summit/Ascent status you are entitled to the "Stretch" seats for no additional charge, so it seems like you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face if you cancelled your account.
The fact of the matter is, flying Midwest (dba Republic) isn't comparable to the flight experience on Frontier. Sure you could accrue miles on Midwest, but would you really want to? Certainly when the only thing that still exist from an airline is their frequent flyer program and cookies it's not quite the same airline.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I thought about it because I have been flying UA much more than F9. I feel that I get more bang for my buck with UA.. For the lowest status you can reach on UA, Premier, you get free E+, free bags, priority boarding and security, free upgrades, and other opportunities.

I've been Summit for seven years, and just don't see a point in keeping the status... I don't fly Midwest, so it wouldn't matter to me if I got some extra miles... I already have a ton to burn..
I see no reason to fly Frontier when the miles on United would do you so much more good. With the amount of miles you have now you could easily book tickets to Europe or Asia, provided they were with United of course. I've heard Continental is doing status matching, maybe you should see if that includes Frontier and then you'd be a Star Alliance elite. Seems worthwhile to me.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
240k is a handful of trips to Mexico, no reason not to try to burn them. That is the reason for FT, after all. My purely anecdotal experience indicates Early Returns has slightly better availability recently, although that amounts to slightly better than virtually none.

As for "closing" your account, if you don't accumulate any miles in two years F9 will delete your miles without any action required by you.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: UA
I would burn the miles quickly if you still have Summit or Ascent status and can use double the amount for any flight.
I like Frontier as an airline (planes, crews, tv etc.) but their frequent flyer program is really bad. On UA I get 100% bonus on all flights (Gold or higher) and I can use the miles with relative ease. On F9 finding anything useful was recently close to impossible.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
The biggest benefit I found from Summit status was the ability to change flights with no penalty. I don't think United gives that, even at the top tiers. Think I might take a trip in a couple months? Book a ticket... can always change it to something else later if I don't want to go. That was an amazing benefit for how few miles it took to reach Summit. I've since fallen down to Ascent due to lack of business travel, but plan to keep Frontier over United status.

I echo the previous sentiments when I say that I've never flown Southwest, and I never will.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:51 pm

Now that the increase in miles has been announced, it might not be a bad time to spend some miles if you can find a good use for them. The last time F9 devalued their miles (a couple of years ago when a domestic RT went from 15,000 to 20,000) I burned my entire account down to about 500 miles before the change went into effect. But, since I do fly F9 a fair bit, and credit my random Airtran flights to F9, and have the credit card, I've since built a fairly healthy balance back up.

I'll certainly be looking to book what I can at 20,000 before it goes to 25,000. But I'll also certainly keep the account, as I (for now) expect I'll continue to fly F9 at least sometimes.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Given all of the things going on with Frontier, I have thought about using up the rest of my F9 miles, and closing my account. Has anybody else done this? I have about 240,000 miles right now...

Thoughts?
Did FriendlySkies use all the 240,000 miles since 2010?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.