Frontier needs the Luv now. MOVE OVER SW!

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Frontier needs the Luv now. MOVE OVER SW!

Why hasn't Frontier got the attention as Southwest has with Luv? Frontier has good prices like Southwest. So what's everyone's problem and not recognizing Frontier? I want Frontier to thrive and do something so they won't go out of business. I don't want those (TAIL) animals to go away!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
F9's doing it with DirecTV at every seat, extra legroom for price or status, and assigned seating, too. With their expansion into more point-to-point vs. hub/spoke destinations, they're definitely out-Southwesting Southwest right now.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I hate the boarding process on SW, love the Frontier seating assignments.
Love Flip, Hector and the singing Penguins.
I think Frontier needs to get to Hawaii before SW does quickly. I think SW is eying or already has plans for Hawaii.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Frontier EarlyReturns Summit
Originally Posted by Earthlings
I hate the boarding process on SW, love the Frontier seating assignments.
Love Flip, Hector and the singing Penguins.
I think Frontier needs to get to Hawaii before SW does quickly. I think SW is eying or already has plans for Hawaii.
Hawaii is not a good solution for F9. All the places they would be able to fly from (West Coast, possibly feed from DEN) will be more than saturated by AS, WN, and the host of legacy carriers out there. Frontier's future is in point to point vacation flying, similar to Allegient, but with more south of the border flying.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:25 pm

[QUOTE=MikeFromMKE;19939409Frontier's future is in point to point vacation flying, similar to Allegient, but with more south of the border flying.[/QUOTE]

In line with which, HUX - Huatulco, Mexico - has been added to the route map, from STL and from ORD.

It's in conjunction with Apple Vacations, similar to Frontier's DEN-PUJ.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
With their expansion into more point-to-point vs. hub/spoke destinations, they're definitely out-Southwesting Southwest right now.
And their entrance into smaller markets like TTN is very Southwesty (or atleast the old Southwest) with smaller alternative airports to big cities.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
And their entrance into smaller markets like TTN is very Southwesty (or atleast the old Southwest) with smaller alternative airports to big cities.
Indeed. I'd fly DEN-TTN in a heartbeat when going to NYC if F9 will start the route.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Indeed. I'd fly DEN-TTN in a heartbeat when going to NYC if F9 will start the route.
As much as I would love to promote the service, TTN isn't really a alternative to NYC as your about 1:15 plus tunnel traffic (can be 30-60 minutes plus) away by car and 1:15 on Amtrak ($80-100 RT) or 1:35-1:45 via Local NJ Transit train ($30 RT)

Philly is more of the alternate as you could be in Philly in about 30-45 minutes via car. You can get there by train in 45 minutes as well via Amtrak ($60-$75 RT) or 1:15 via the Local SEPTA train (around $20 RT I think).

If you wanted to vacation at the Jersey Shore you are about 45 minutes or so from the Belmar/Pt. Pleasant Area via car no train service.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:06 pm

There is a debate going on about whether the TTN runway - at 6000 feet - could handle a full load to DEN.

SNA is shorter but so is SNA-DEN. Supposedly, the rule of thumb for the A319, for TTN-DEN, is about 6300 feet.

I don't know, I'm not a Tech Wallah, but I am reading conflicting opinions.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
As much as I would love to promote the service, TTN isn't really a alternative to NYC as your about 1:15 plus tunnel traffic (can be 30-60 minutes plus) away by car and 1:15 on Amtrak ($80-100 RT) or 1:35-1:45 via Local NJ Transit train ($30 RT)

Philly is more of the alternate as you could be in Philly in about 30-45 minutes via car. You can get there by train in 45 minutes as well via Amtrak ($60-$75 RT) or 1:15 via the Local SEPTA train (around $20 RT I think).

If you wanted to vacation at the Jersey Shore you are about 45 minutes or so from the Belmar/Pt. Pleasant Area via car no train service.
Yes, I should be more precise. My business takes me to the Jersey suburbs, not to NYC proper.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I like how Frontier never has the problem with overbooking passengers on flights. Assigned seats are better and knowing if the plane is going to be full instead of SW pick your own seat.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
I "cheated" on Frontier with SW twice this last year, once due to a route that Frontier didn't fly, and again due to significantly better price/schedule. SW comped A-List status to Frontier FF's for the end of the year so I got to experience their elite experience as well.

Results:
Trip 1 was OK, despite status I waited for 45 minutes at security in PIT as no one was checking/enforcing the elite line. Also I found the whole seating process very stressful, was flying with a companion who did not have A-List status and didn't know how it would work out (it did, but I hated the uncertainty of not knowing whether we'd be seated together).

Trip 2, arrived in LGA at the crack of dawn, only to sit for 3 hours due to a mechanical issue before the flight took off. No apology, voucher, compensation, or anything else sent after-the-fact.

The verdict:
Unless presented with overwhelmingly better fare/schedule or a route which F9 doesn't fly with no alternative, I would not choose fly SW again, now that the free elite status has expired.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
I "cheated" on Frontier with SW twice this last year, once due to a route that Frontier didn't fly, and again due to significantly better price/schedule. SW comped A-List status to Frontier FF's for the end of the year so I got to experience their elite experience as well.

Results:
Trip 1 was OK, despite status I waited for 45 minutes at security in PIT as no one was checking/enforcing the elite line. Also I found the whole seating process very stressful, was flying with a companion who did not have A-List status and didn't know how it would work out (it did, but I hated the uncertainty of not knowing whether we'd be seated together).

Trip 2, arrived in LGA at the crack of dawn, only to sit for 3 hours due to a mechanical issue before the flight took off. No apology, voucher, compensation, or anything else sent after-the-fact.

The verdict:
Unless presented with overwhelmingly better fare/schedule or a route which F9 doesn't fly with no alternative, I would not choose fly SW again, now that the free elite status has expired.

So were you able to sit next to your companion on TRIP 1? Did you try to save the seat next to the person with your jacket or bag? Or did someone want to sit in your row and take the seat with someone else?

SW and Frontier have usually the same price for my destination I fly a lot. But sometimes, one airline has a much more higher price. So then I wouldn't buy rt, and book OW trips with the carriers.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
F9 is essentially punting on business travel with the elimination of routes to large east coast destinations, 4X weekly service to some destinations, not to mention no alliance or first class. Right now it is basically a hybrid of Allegiant and Southwest - trending toward Allegiant. This business model works provided fuel cost is low but is geared toward leisure travelers.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
F9 is essentially punting on business travel with the elimination of routes to large east coast destinations, 4X weekly service to some destinations, not to mention no alliance or first class. Right now it is basically a hybrid of Allegiant and Southwest - trending toward Allegiant. This business model works provided fuel cost is low but is geared toward leisure travelers.
Frontier is a leisure airline which some business travellers fly sometimes.

The highly seasonal, lower frequency model works just fine with the present fuel prices and the new route map shows the increasing emphasis on north/south winter flying and seasonal destinations in summer.

On December 31, Republic upgraded the profit estimates for Frontier for Q4. The airline is flying profitably and has been for most of the year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.