Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will happen to Lynx if Southwest gets Frontier?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

What will happen to Lynx if Southwest gets Frontier?

What will happen to Lynx if Southwest gets Frontier? Will it be sold so some other airline? Will it die?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
From a conference call between many media people a SWA spokesman. I think these answers are pretty much in-line with SWA thinking, but no one actually knows:

Q: Tom Belden, Philadelphia Inquirer. You would actually consider keeping service to very small Lynx markets?

A: Lynx is a wholly-owned subsidiary of F9, and one of the assets being auctioned. We are fully prepared to bid on those assets, reserving judgment as to what we would do with those assets if our bid wins. We are open minded and willing to consider anything at the moment without a commitment. In the past, we would have categorically rejected an opportunity like Lynx. We are not now, and that is new.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:56 am

I'm sure Lynx will be the first thing they dump if they win the Frontier bid. Lynx is an absolute disgrace. Horrible, lengthy delays and an astronomical cancellation rate due to mechanical issues. My theory is they don't have enough parts and/or mechanics and if you have a mechanical delay in one of the cities outside of Denver there is a good possibility the flight will be cancelled or the delay will be many, many, hours. It's happened to me way too many times.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by azstar
My theory is they don't have enough parts and/or mechanics and if you have a mechanical delay in one of the cities outside of Denver there is a good possibility the flight will be cancelled or the delay will be many, many, hours. It's happened to me way too many times.
Occam's Razor: Like Frontier, Lynx is also operating sans a spare aircraft. So if there are major MX issues on an aircraft and it is "downed" for a day, flights have to be canceled to keep the rest of the airline running. Anything to offer the cheapest ticket and stay competitive.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:09 pm

Even though Republic won the bid I don't even think they are stupid enough too keep Lynx, it would be much more effective to sell lynx and instead compete with United's regional routes with all the 145's Republic has.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by nightom22
Even though Republic won the bid I don't even think they are stupid enough too keep Lynx, it would be much more effective to sell lynx and instead compete with United's regional routes with all the 145's Republic has.
That makes no sense. The Q400s that Lynx flies are much more cost efficient than the 145s. If anything look for them to buy more Q400s and use those for the UA regional routes!
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:01 pm

In court filings regarding Republic's original post-petition financing, it's revealed the plan for Lynx: taking delivery of at least 2 more Q400's for Denver operations - perhaps adding a few more. But most noteworthy was the detail of operating 10 Q400's for another airline partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.