Any recent experience with the Lynx Q400's?

Old May 19, 09, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Any recent experience with the Lynx Q400's?

Am looking to book a trip through DEN to BZN, with DEN-BZN on a Q400 operated by Lynx. The only specific thread I found was speculating on comfort, etc when the Q400's were first introduced. And there is no Q400 for Frontier listed on Seatguru, the Seatexpert map has no info on seat pitch, and I found is no info on Frontier's web site. So...

Does Lynx run a pretty reliable service? Are the planes comfortable? Any seats to aim for or avoid?
Old May 19, 09, 5:16 pm

I've flown them dozens of times. They are just as quiet as CRJ jets, fly at pretty much the same speed, and are actually somewhat more comfortable. You can stand up completely and the overhead bins will accommodate small items. The only seats to avoid, if you like to look out the window, are the seats next to the engines; they're pretty big and obstruct the views unless you're looking straight down. I think they're rows 8-15, approximately. Other than that, you shouldn't have any problems flying these aircraft, and they're actually more fun than boring jets.
Old May 19, 09, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, Amtrak, VIA
the Lynx is infinitely superior to a CRJ.
Old May 20, 09, 1:58 pm

If you can snag 18 or 19 AC, they have additional legroom, recline and you don't have to deal with people tripping over your legs during boarding. They are my favorite and unless you really like having a bulkhead seat, you'll find them better than an exit row.

Seat pitch is pretty standard, though I don't know what it exactly is.

As for reliability, Lynx has better ontime performance than mainline on most days.

Checko

Last edited by GreatChecko; May 20, 09 at 2:48 pm
Old May 22, 09, 4:48 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Q400 is OK if it is only way to get there ie: El Paso, Billings etc. Used to fly them often to SUX until F9 pulled out. I find the seats very uncomfortable, sitting on an Orange crate might be comparable. I have tried alot of seats on Q400, being a Summitt allows me to try alot of seats. Can't say where it is best. I still fly this aircraft due to my preference to F9 vs. UA.
Old May 22, 09, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Continental's Q400s claim a seat pitch of 32", so I'd guess they'd be the same on F9's Q400s.

Looks like going for the front row may be the best bet.
Old Sep 28, 09, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Flew the Q400 a few days ago. Great plane -- much more comfortable than CRJ's plus much more efficient in terms of fuel use, etc.

In terms of seating, 19 AC are the definitely the best. I didn't notice much difference in 18 AC with the rest of the aisles.

I'm usually an aisle person but 19A has some great views.

Search this Thread