Frontier really is a whole different animal

Old Apr 25, 09, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Frontier really is a whole different animal

Just venting, but my experiences with F9 have been less than stellar (24 segments over last 9 months).

Can't check in at a kiosk prior to 4 hours before your scheduled flight. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

Kiosk rarely finds reservations when using kiosk without TA help. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

TA's can't process confirmed same day change w/n 45 minutes of boarding. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

GA's can't process credit card transations for confirmed same day change. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

Gave F9 a shot, but they really are a whole different animal.
Old Apr 25, 09, 5:42 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I have given up on them. They are not any different from a legacy carrier.
Old Apr 26, 09, 10:03 pm

Judging by the threads titles for other major airlines, if this is the worst that you experienced, I still think they deserve their "Whole Different Animal" moniker.

Checko
Old Apr 28, 09, 8:12 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by COmciUA View Post
Just venting, but my experiences with F9 have been less than stellar (24 segments over last 9 months).

Can't check in at a kiosk prior to 4 hours before your scheduled flight. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

Kiosk rarely finds reservations when using kiosk without TA help. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

TA's can't process confirmed same day change w/n 45 minutes of boarding. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

GA's can't process credit card transations for confirmed same day change. Never a problem at other airlines I fly.

Gave F9 a shot, but they really are a whole different animal.
WOW, with 24 segments in 9 months, you'd be on track for 32 segments in 12 months and you'd have A-list at Southwest. You can check-in 24 hours in advance on the Internet or an Internet enabled cell phone. If you aren't A-list, that gets you a better seat. I've never had a problem with WN's kiosks.

Same day change can be a problem at WN because they require upgrade to full fare. However, depending on how far in advance you are booking your tickets, the difference between full fare and their low fares might be in the same neighborhood (is it $50?) as the same day change fee at F9?

I have done the same day change only a couple of times and have processed it either on the phone or on the Internet at WN with no problems.
Old Jun 11, 09, 4:12 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Got tix to go DEN>LAX and SFO>DEN (A friend talked me into it) - bad move

Angry F/A's on both flights. Like really what did I do to you? I said thank you!

SFO>DEN - Never fly if its game night. It will be like trying to sleep at a football game, now I know why people tell me live TV on airplanes is a bad idea.

The only thing I can say is that the gate/check in agents and and baggage handlers were A+ very good and nice. Maybe their F/A's should learn from them.

Seriously again, why are they always grumpy? Hell i even tried to cheer them up and I didnt get anywhere. Im sorry if I asked for a water sheesh.

Wow never thought id post a complaint on Flyertalk.com before....
Old Jun 23, 09, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Ok, I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but I am be-fuddled.

I had a ticket I needed to exchange from a last minute cancellation. Classic Plus, so shouldn't be any issues exchanging, seat assignments, etc...

I call in and exchange, no problem. When the res rep asked if I wanted a seat assignment, I asked for 2A. She indicated that she could only assign me a seat beyond row 12. I told her that when I dummy booked a new fare (still CP) online a few minutes ago, I could select 2A for those very flights! She said she was not allowed to assign me them b/c I am not a Summit or Ascent member. I said with a CP fare it should not matter. I asked her how I could have booked 5 previous tickets online with a CP fare in the same seat, but cant do it over the phone? She had no idea. Fine, hang up, call back.

2nd Rep. Explain the situation to her.

Rep: No problem, let me pull up the seat map. Sorry sir, can't assign you any seat except the one you are in.
Me: Huh? I am on a CP fare. That should allow for advanced seat assignments. How come I can do this online, but cant over the phone?? Is the flight oversold? On Airport hold?
Rep: Not over sold. I dont know. You can check in at 24 hrs and request it.
Me: How come the seat map is wide open online and I can select it when I dummy book? What is the point of a CP fare?
Rep: blah blah blah free DTV blah blah
Me: Bye

Am I out of line? I am looking into this too much? I feel like I have tried to give F9 a chance. I feel like even the most simple of changes, requests, etc... are a huge ordeal and F9 is not properly equiped to handle it. Rarely, if ever, have I had these silly issues on CO, NW, UA, DL, and even the rare times I fly AA.

They really are a whole different animal.
Old Jul 1, 09, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by COmciUA View Post
Am I out of line? I am looking into this too much? I feel like I have tried to give F9 a chance. I feel like even the most simple of changes, requests, etc... are a huge ordeal and F9 is not properly equiped to handle it. Rarely, if ever, have I had these silly issues on CO, NW, UA, DL, and even the rare times I fly AA.

They really are a whole different animal.
Let me try to explain what you encountered. Reservations agents (over the phone) see a very different version of SABRE than a CSA at the airport, and in turn the SABRE powered website you use when booking a ticket. The SABRE version in which RES agents use is highly restricted in functionality for many reasons. One of these restrictions is the seating application. RES agents can pull up a seatmap but it will only allow assignments for which there are hard data elements in the PNR to qualify that person for the seat (FF tier gets you a premium designated seat).

I know that online you can book whatever seat you want but you need to realize that SABRE is a technology based on decades old code, and even though the ala-carte system is in place nowadays, the computer system is still playing catchup. The website is likely accessing content through an API based on new-generation technology that can handle the new ala-carte approach, while SABRE is still a reservation system that is based on rules and logic for which F9's new system has not been adapted yet. Unfortunately, it will just take time to iron out all the details.
Old Jul 22, 09, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
Let me try to explain what you encountered. Reservations agents (over the phone) see a very different version of SABRE than a CSA at the airport, and in turn the SABRE powered website you use when booking a ticket. The SABRE version in which RES agents use is highly restricted in functionality for many reasons. One of these restrictions is the seating application. RES agents can pull up a seatmap but it will only allow assignments for which there are hard data elements in the PNR to qualify that person for the seat (FF tier gets you a premium designated seat).

I know that online you can book whatever seat you want but you need to realize that SABRE is a technology based on decades old code, and even though the ala-carte system is in place nowadays, the computer system is still playing catchup. The website is likely accessing content through an API based on new-generation technology that can handle the new ala-carte approach, while SABRE is still a reservation system that is based on rules and logic for which F9's new system has not been adapted yet. Unfortunately, it will just take time to iron out all the details.
So, couldn't rez agents simply explain a version of the above to irritated and confused pax?
Old Jul 22, 09, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
So, couldn't rez agents simply explain a version of the above to irritated and confused pax?
Do you seriously think that an explanation to a passenger blaming "hard data elements" and Sabre limitations would have gone anywhere? It would have just sounded like blaming ones tools to me and a cop out.

Also, it doesn't sound like the poster gave the representative a chance to get that far into the explanation. He just hung up (twice) the moment the agent told him that they were unable to do what he was asking.

Furthermore, I have a feeling that some of the agents aren't as well versed in the nuances of SABRE as denCSA and may not have been able to properly explain what was going on, beyond, "I really don't know."

Checko
Old Jul 24, 09, 6:14 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Originally Posted by GreatChecko View Post
Do you seriously think that an explanation to a passenger blaming "hard data elements" and Sabre limitations would have gone anywhere? It would have just sounded like blaming ones tools to me and a cop out.

Also, it doesn't sound like the poster gave the representative a chance to get that far into the explanation. He just hung up (twice) the moment the agent told him that they were unable to do what he was asking.

Furthermore, I have a feeling that some of the agents aren't as well versed in the nuances of SABRE as denCSA and may not have been able to properly explain what was going on, beyond, "I really don't know."

Checko
Short answer: Yup.

As a pax/customer, I ALWAYS appreciate info that explains things. Simply saying "that's not possible" without explanation (which, btw, doesn't need to be technical) is bad customer service. Seems there might be a training issue somewhere.
Old Jul 27, 09, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Short answer: Yup.

As a pax/customer, I ALWAYS appreciate info that explains things. Simply saying "that's not possible" without explanation (which, btw, doesn't need to be technical) is bad customer service. Seems there might be a training issue somewhere.
I hope you'd stay on the phone long enough for them to be able to give you an explanation. Good or bad customer service cannot be provided if the caller just hangs up and keeps calling back. All that does is restart the conversation with someone that does not know the whole story and probably will see the same exact thing.

One word: Escalate.

I don't know why people think hanging up and calling back will solve a problem that only a supervisor may be able to deal with. In all of my call center experiences where I've run into a wall, asking to speak with a sup has usually solved the problem or given me a better explanation of what was going on.

Search this Thread