Please help with layover, new to flying

Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Please help with layover, new to flying

I am sort of new to flying, this is probably a pretty basic question.. I'm flying to FL with a 2hr layover in Denver (Frontier if that matters). How and for how long can I prolong my layover in Denver and then get back on my way to FL? Will appriciate any help, thank you in advance!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
First of all, welcome to FT!

What is your routing and what exactly are you trying to accomplish? How much longer do you want your layover to be? Are you talking about a few hours?
What fare bucket did you book?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I don't know about Frontier's policies specifically, but you typically have 4 hours for a domestic layover. Anything longer is considered a stopover and priced differently (read: higher).
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Welcome to FT!

Here's F9's standby policy
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
bullglaz, welcome to FlyerTalk. For added assistance, let me move this thread seamlessly to our Frontier Airlines forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bullglaz
I am sort of new to flying, this is probably a pretty basic question.. I'm flying to FL with a 2hr layover in Denver (Frontier if that matters). How and for how long can I prolong my layover in Denver and then get back on my way to FL? Will appriciate any help, thank you in advance!
Without paying extra you can try your luck if the flight you're booked on is full and they are looking for people to go later, or if there is a long standby list. Once, before moving to DEN, I had a DEN layover and wanted to have lunch with some friends there. I went to the gate and asked the CSR if they could put me on the next flight, which gave me about five hours to kill in Denver. She did it on the spot and was happy to since the standby list was long. Sadly, my friends didn't show for lunch, but that's another story.

With all of the new policies I really don't know what they'll tell you. If you're wanting to stay for more than a few hours I would imagine that you are out of luck without paying any extra.

As I side note, I needed to make a change to a flight from MSP to DEN and when I talked to CS they informed me that coming home one day earlier was going to cost $600 in fare difference and fees. Accidentally I clicked "Dallas/Fort Worth" when checking what a one-way fare was and could book for that day for $130, MSP-DEN-DFW. When I went back and selected MSP-DEN, it was $480. So, I booked the MSP-DEN-DFW, got off the plane at DEN with my carry-on (nothing checked) and went home. Frontier was not amused.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by airshane
So, I booked the MSP-DEN-DFW, got off the plane at DEN with my carry-on (nothing checked) and went home. Frontier was not amused.
Really? Did they hassle you somehow? I would have thought that unless you do it regularly they would just live with it.

Last edited by MojaveFlyer; Jan 10, 2009 at 7:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, WN Cargo, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Really? Did the hassle you somehow? I would have thought that unless you do it regularly they would just live with it.
Well, being the nice guy I am, I decided to go to the gate of the connecting flight and inform them that I would not be joining them. That way, if they had a standby or needed the seat they knew. I hear these announcements that can sometimes delay departure when they are looking for someone who hasn't boarded yet, and figured I'd save them the trouble. The gate agent decided to "tell me a few things about me that I didn't know", to paraphrase Ron White. She said I had to get on that flight because I bought a ticket. Then started in about how my luggage would be lost, and when she lost that argument after finding out I only had carry-on she said that I could be banned from flying Frontier ever again for doing that.

A few days later I actually got a call from someone about it who was a little more level-headed. I think she was actually calling to figure out why I didn't board the flight, as if I got lost in Denver. She actually understood my argument about the cost difference and said she'd drop the remaining segment from my profile.

If I see the same thing in the future, I will do it again, but I won't stop by the gate to give them a heads-up next time.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by airshane
Well, being the nice guy I am, I decided to go to the gate of the connecting flight and inform them that I would not be joining them. That way, if they had a standby or needed the seat they knew. I hear these announcements that can sometimes delay departure when they are looking for someone who hasn't boarded yet, and figured I'd save them the trouble. The gate agent decided to "tell me a few things about me that I didn't know", to paraphrase Ron White. She said I had to get on that flight because I bought a ticket. Then started in about how my luggage would be lost, and when she lost that argument after finding out I only had carry-on she said that I could be banned from flying Frontier ever again for doing that.

A few days later I actually got a call from someone about it who was a little more level-headed. I think she was actually calling to figure out why I didn't board the flight, as if I got lost in Denver. She actually understood my argument about the cost difference and said she'd drop the remaining segment from my profile.

If I see the same thing in the future, I will do it again, but I won't stop by the gate to give them a heads-up next time.
I can't believe someone actually called you.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I cannot believe you went to the gate and told them that. I am sure the agent was hoping to get some brownie points by filing a case against you.

Cannot believe they have time for these things. But thanks for the heads up on the DFW idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.