FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns (Pre-Alignment) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-earlyreturns-pre-alignment-491/)
-   -   Chances of Frontier still flying in April... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frontier-airlines-earlyreturns-pre-alignment/859272-chances-frontier-still-flying-april.html)

1seeker1 Aug 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Chances of Frontier still flying in April...

Hopefully those of you that fly Frontier enough will have some well informed opinions on the following questions:

I want to travel from San Diego to either NY/PHIL/DC and back in early April 2009. I had to fly to Denver last September for a funeral and was pleasantly surprised to find that I only had to use 30k in miles (my wife and I)transferred from the AMEX Membership rewards account. I also learned that for the same amount, I could go anywhere in the Continental US. Compared to 25k on the major airlines, I though this was a bargain. I would like to obtain four free tickets for this coming April and I saw that the amount for tickets booked on or after Sept. 15 is changing to 20k - thats 20k difference alone for four tickets. I would like to book now and before I would need to spend another 20k. Now to my questions:

1. What do you think the chances are of Frontier still flying?;

2. What do you think the chances are of getting four free seats (haven't tried calling yet)?;

3. When do you think Frontier will open up Summer 2009 travel dates?

4. Is there currently a fee to redeem? If so, what is it?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Daze Aug 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by 1seeker1 (Post 10258607)
Hopefully those of you that fly Frontier enough will have some well informed opinions on the following questions:

I want to travel from San Diego to either NY/PHIL/DC and back in early April 2009. I had to fly to Denver last September for a funeral and was pleasantly surprised to find that I only had to use 30k in miles (my wife and I)transferred from the AMEX Membership rewards account. I also learned that for the same amount, I could go anywhere in the Continental US. Compared to 25k on the major airlines, I though this was a bargain. I would like to obtain four free tickets for this coming April and I saw that the amount for tickets booked on or after Sept. 15 is changing to 20k - thats 20k difference alone for four tickets. I would like to book now and before I would need to spend another 20k. Now to my questions:

As good as UA or US, maybe slightly better.

2. What do you think the chances are of getting four free seats (haven't tried calling yet)?;

For 15K each, about zero.

Don't know this answer.

No fee currently, but 9-15 it's $25.

Weakest aspect of F9 IMHO, is poor award availability.

InkedParrot Aug 25, 2008 9:09 pm

I hope there still flying in April.

crhptic Aug 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by 1seeker1 (Post 10258607)

No idea. DIP financing seems like a step in the right direction, but like all the airlines, their business is not profitable right now due to the high price of oil, and will remain so absent either a significant drop in oil prices or some other adjustments to flight supply/demand.

You don't need to call - you can use SeatCounter and search for S class. If you want to fly at peak or even somewhat popular times you will find availability VERY limited on these routes, especially the LGA and DCA routes which sell out at high fares and rarely have much award availability. Expect to require a flexible schedule, especially if you want four seats on the same plane.

Also, if using SeatCounter to plan flights (search one segment at a time), keep in mind you're allowed a maximum connect time in DEN of 4 hours. Anything longer is not a legal connection and F9 won't let you book it.

No idea.

If you redeem online the only fee is $2.50 per segment for the TSA Salary Tax. If you call, I believe there's an extra charge by Frontier.

srittle001 Sep 4, 2008 8:50 am

does frontier show up when using seat counter. I tried to do it on a specific date and they didnt come up.

GreatChecko Sep 5, 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by srittle001 (Post 10311299)
does frontier show up when using seat counter. I tried to do it on a specific date and they didnt come up.

I tried a random date and they showed up.

The only thing I can think of is that you might have tried a date too far into the future. It seems the schedule is only loaded through mid-March, 2009.