Easiest way to keep miles from expiring?

Old May 15, 08, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Easiest way to keep miles from expiring?

Hi -
I have a small stock of miles I'd like to keep from expiring, and (obviously since my two years is coming up) have no status so can't use the "more store". Best/cheapest way to do this?

Thanks!!

Edit: Sorry failed at searching first time around.
Seems t-shirts and charity are a good way to go...
But if there's a free way do let me know
Old May 16, 08, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can get them to post (I joined about a week and a half ago and so far the bonus miles they said I'd get within 1 to 10 days haven't shown up yet at Frontier), eMiles will give you a couple hundred miles for signing up (if you haven't signed up for them before elsewhere, at least):

https://www.e-miles.com/enroll.do;js...=frontierne1v2

You have to get periodic emails for a while, but you can select to have them sent only once a week.

If you haven't applied yet for the Frontier MasterCard, you can get one with no annual fee and 5000 bonus miles on first purchase:

http://www.frontierairlines.com/fron...name=worldcard

If you have one already, just charge a couple bucks to it once every year or two!

(This card only earns one mile for every $2 purchased, so it's not great for actually using day-to-day, except for the bonus miles and to keep your account alive.)

Keep in mind that miles expire at the end of the 2nd year. So you have a number of months to get this taken care of.
Old May 16, 08, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA: 1P, SPG: PLT
If you already have the card but don't use it, just make a purchase every few months to keep miles from expiring.
Old May 16, 08, 8:03 pm

If you ever rent cars from Hertz, stay at any Marriott family hotels, or use SuperShuttle, or think you will do one of those things before the end of the year, any of those would also earn you miles.

Worst case is paying $28 to buy 1000 miles - probably better off spending the $28 on flowers from 1-800-flowers, as you will keep your account active but also make the recipient happy
Old May 18, 08, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks folks -- I had misread the terms that it expired after two years of inactivity (coming up in a few weeks). Seems it is the end of the second calendar year, so will have some time then...

cheers
Old May 19, 08, 12:33 pm
FSU

Don't forget about donating miles. There are several charities listed on their web site. You must donate at least 1000 miles.

Search this Thread