Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns (Pre-Alignment)
Reload this Page >

United to charge $25 for 2nd checked bag ... Hoping Frontier will NOT follow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite

United announced that they will be charging $25 for a second checked bag. I sure hope Frontier avoids this money grab. Bad idea.... Really bad!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
Gate-Checked Luggage

My guess would be that F9 and the other carriers will watch and see what happens with UA. I personally think that this may backfire by causing turnaround times to suffer, thus costing the airlines more $ than they make.
Boarding has seemed glacially slow on my last couple of segments, and I've never seen so many people being told at the front door that they would have to gate-check their bags, since the overheads were full. I would hate to see what happens if everyone starts charging for a second bag, it's going to make the process even slower.

Why is it that on aircraft such as RJ's that don't have overhead space, you can gate-check your bag and get it back on the jetway... yet when you gate-check on a full-size jet due to space issues, you have to get it at the baggage claim?

What if airlines allowed you to gate-check planeside, and get your luggage back in the terminal? Isn't it expensive to move luggage from the check-in desks to the aircraft and back, including all the sorting? If they allowed people to carry their own bags to the aircraft, and only had to load/unload them planeside, would this save the airlines money, and speed up turn times? I wouldn't mind giving my bag up planeside if I knew I would get it back at the gate upon arrival.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by DenverF9Flier
What if airlines allowed you to gate-check planeside, and get your luggage back in the terminal?

Won't work.

Most folks throw all the stuff that the TSA won't-let-inside-the-secure-area-with-you into their checked bags...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:07 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I also sincerely hope Frontier (and other airlines) don't copy UA charging for second checked bag. Looks like I'll have to ask the companies I contract with to "scratch UA from the list". One company uses WN whenever possible but WN does not fly everywhere yet.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
Should be waived for CR-J

I agree with a previous poster. The CR-J does not have enough space for the large carry on bags so why penalize pax for taking a smaller flight or better yet, visiting Aunt Milley in RPD for a week. Not only do they charge more money for flying to the hinterlands of the midwest, you get charged for the extra bags too. I guess DEN pax will fly someone else or start driving through the long boring roads of WY or NE. I know I won't be taking a golf vacation using UA ever again.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:43 pm

looks like the red headed step child in the *A has also jumped in to the $25 bag mess...if ual and us make it stick.....all others will follow including the beloved animal tails that have taken me home every once in a while in my weekly commute

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.