Wiki Posts
Search

Fromtier Changing Planes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Fromtier Changing Planes

The carrier has started using a new type of turboprop plane, the 74-passengers Bombardier Q-400. And according to its manufacturer, the 'Q' stands for quiet.

Source: http://www.kblg.com/modules.php?name...ticle&sid=7144
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
The carrier has started using a new type of turboprop plane, the 74-passengers Bombardier Q-400. And according to its manufacturer, the 'Q' stands for quiet.

Source: http://www.kblg.com/modules.php?name...ticle&sid=7144
Not new news to some of us, F9 has replaced the Q400 for Regional Jets flown by contractors. They have had some issues getting approval to fly them from FAA. There were some landing gear issues last summer with the plane and FAA approval issues. I think Horizions and Alaska Air business model was saw as a way to improve bottom line by F9. Also Lynx is a non-union company owned by F9, gets around the labor cost issue also.
The problem for me was they really didn't tell me as a PAX that my ticket for a Regional Jet was now changed to a turbo prop, I protested and was surprised to get a refund on those flights. Good Customer SVc but an announcement would have been in order. I have too many options when flying, I choose to fly a 737 or A318-19 any day over a prop, F9 has pulled the only A318 flight AM out of ABQ and replaced with Q400. Only one Regional Jet/day out of ABQ, its hard to fly F9 anymore unless I do WN to DEN and jump on F9. I choose WN, besides when it is $49 ABQ-DEN on both and its 737 vs Q400 what would you do?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
I hate to agree but I do

Originally Posted by loboclone
Only one Regional Jet/day out of ABQ, its hard to fly F9 anymore unless I do WN to DEN and jump on F9. I choose WN, besides when it is $49 ABQ-DEN on both and its 737 vs Q400 what would you do?
I agree. I hate WN and would never fly them out of DEN but if I'm not paying more $$ and getting a turboprop. One note: If airlines go to separate charges for your seat and your fuel, turboprops may become more popular. Av-gas is often cheaper than Jet-A and would lead to "cheaper" flights on these aircraft.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm not familiar with the ABQ-DEN route. While a 737 vs. the Q400 makes a difference, I'll take a Q400 over an RJ anytime. The cabin seems more comfortable and is used on routes where commuter aircraft are appropriate rather than RJ's flying long thin routes.

Not sure how F9 has configured them but see ...

http://www.q400.com/q400/en/interior.jsp

Plus - the fuel savings over RJ is very significant. That may be F9's problems but is ours in the long and short run.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k
I agree. I hate WN and would never fly them out of DEN but if I'm not paying more $$ and getting a turboprop. One note: If airlines go to separate charges for your seat and your fuel, turboprops may become more popular. Av-gas is often cheaper than Jet-A and would lead to "cheaper" flights on these aircraft.
Just a quick correction to your comment. Turbo Probs run on Jet-A, not AV-gas. Turbo props still use a jet engine, albeit with it turning a prop, rather than compressing air in order to produce thrust. Only piston engines use avgas(100LL). The advantage of turbo props over your 'standard jet engine is short haul flights. Probs are more efficient with short flights becuase there is no need to climb to higher flight levels. Jets are only efficient at high altitudes. Take a COS to DEN flight, typically flown at 12K, although RJ's are used for this with UA, a turbo prop uses less fuel per pound of PAX/cargo than the jet. The other advantage of the turbo prop is better short field performance, jets like longer runway's(with type of wing not factored)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.