Any hope for this F9 newbie?

Old Dec 29, 07, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Any hope for this F9 newbie?

I have a business trip coming up in the next few weeks, heading out west. I would rather fly UA as I am 3P with them, but that would require an extra connection through ORD and DEN, and my boss basically said, "nuh-uh." It's probably a good thing she isn't letting this FT'er plan the flights, haha...we'd take forever to get there! Ok, that is beside the point. F9's flights and times actually work out the best, so I gave in and said, "ok...."

Looking at the seat maps for our F9 flight, though, our flight to DEN is starting to fill up. Aside from the preferred seating, only middle seats (yuck!) appear to be available. I've read decent things about F9's seats, so it shouldn't be too cramped, but I would obviously LOVE to not be stuck in a middle seat. I should mention that we have not yet bought tickets.

A few questions...
1.) Do any unreserved preferred seats open up 24 hours out, or at check-in? Any preference of online check-in vs. kiosk/airport?

2.) If I buy a higher class coach fare (Y,B,M, etc.), does that grant me access to the preferred seats?

3.) Any helpful hints you have for me before my first F9 flight?

I'm looking to it as it will be a new airline to try, even if I don't get any UA miles. Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 30, 07, 7:25 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
1.) Do any unreserved preferred seats open up 24 hours out, or at check-in? Any preference of online check-in vs. kiosk/airport?
Yes they do open up, but it seems on full flights they are still held by the agents for last minute assignments.

One thing about check-in with F9 vs. UA is that you get checked in for good. With United you can go online or to a kiosk and move seats around right up to they close the flight. With Frontier, the kiosks will refuse to help you if you have checked in online. You will need to see an agent to make changes.

2.) If I buy a higher class coach fare (Y,B,M, etc.), does that grant me access to the preferred seats?
Not sure about this, but I recall buying a last-minute Y before I had status and all but exits were open to me. Call F9 customer service, they answer quickly, and it won't be the UA ICC

The only thing preferred about the front seats is, well being in front. If you don't care about being farther back, just grab anything (except the limited recline rows if that matters to you (last row, 2nd last right row, before exit)). The exception is the rare leather seat 319s where the forward rows may have an inch or two than the rear.

3.) Any helpful hints you have for me before my first F9 flight?
Well, just remember that Frontier's seats are equivalent to United's E+, but with better IFE. Bring along headphones and a credit card. $5 for DirectTV for the whole flight, and $8 for PPV movies. I am not sure if the $8 is per movie or covers the whole flight since I fly shorter hops where they don't turn on the movies.

I'm looking to it as it will be a new airline to try, even if I don't get any UA miles.
Well, how many miles is this trip? At 15,000 you will get Ascent with is on par with 3P/2P (free TV/movies, exit rows, priority boarding/security). At 25,000 you will get Frontier's top elite (free booze, waived change/standby fees).

You are on FlyerTalk, so I know I don't have to remind you to sign up for EarlyReturns before your flight.
Old Dec 30, 07, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Thanks for your help, JaggedMind! I appreciate it.

As far as trying to access the preferred seats, my only real motive in doing so would be that there are window seats available. Only middle seats are available for the rest of the plane, but there are a few preferred window (and aisle) seats still up-for-grabs. I will also wait to check-in until I arrive at the airport.

My flight is East coast - DEN (and back), so it won't get me 15k miles but I will surely sign up. I don't plan on flying F9 after this trip (reason is in my sig..) but I might have another similar situation pop up again.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 1, 08, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by JaggedMind View Post
Well, just remember that Frontier's seats are equivalent to United's E+, but with better IFE. Bring along headphones and a credit card. $5 for DirectTV for the whole flight, and $8 for PPV movies. I am not sure if the $8 is per movie or covers the whole flight since I fly shorter hops where they don't turn on the movies.
Frontier's seats are not quite equivalent to UA's E+. Frontier's seat pitch is 33 inches; UA E+ is 34-36 inches.

F9's IFE is superior...but only UA lets you listen to ATC on channel 9. And they provide the headphones for you.
Old Jan 2, 08, 5:27 pm

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Frontier's seats are not quite equivalent to UA's E+. Frontier's seat pitch is 33 inches; UA E+ is 34-36 inches.
I was thinking "on par" but that wording didn't make it to the post. Still better pitch than many larger airlines.

F9's IFE is superior...but only UA lets you listen to ATC on channel 9.
I would love this on Frontier. The perfect spot would be as the audio feed on Channel 13 (LiveMap).

And they provide the headphones for you.
Well, Frontier does too but they are low quality disposables. "...if you are done with your headphones, take them with you or place them in the trash bag..."
Old Jan 3, 08, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa View Post
I have a business trip coming up in the next few weeks, heading out west. I would rather fly UA
DiscoPapa, get in touch and I'll see what I can do to help...

Search this Thread