Must a Passport have 6 months to go for a flight to Mexico

Old Dec 20, 07, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Must a Passport have 6 months to go for a flight to Mexico

I found nothing requiring 6 months to be remaining on a passport for entry into Mexico for a week. My daughter-in-law is worried and I wondered what the latest wisdom was on this. A check on the Mexico forum indicated that there was no such requirement

My biggest concern is that Frontier will deny her a seat from IND to CUN. Is that a real risk?

We called Frontier and the person said he was not sure whether that would be an issue or not. Anyone know for sure?
Old Dec 20, 07, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Its my understanding that, if 6 months is a requirement, it will be an issue.

Its Frontiers responsibility to make sure the passengers meet the entry document requirements. They could get fined for failing to do this.

Six month passport life is not unheard of. HOWEVER, I checked several websites and could not find anything requiring 6 months-although I might have missed it.
Old Dec 20, 07, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mshaikun View Post
I found nothing requiring 6 months to be remaining on a passport for entry into Mexico for a week. My daughter-in-law is worried and I wondered what the latest wisdom was on this. A check on the Mexico forum indicated that there was no such requirement

My biggest concern is that Frontier will deny her a seat from IND to CUN. Is that a real risk?

We called Frontier and the person said he was not sure whether that would be an issue or not. Anyone know for sure?
Found the following.

http://www.expedia.co.uk/daily/wg/P42275.asp

I would give the Mexico Consulate a call as they would be the ones who would know for sure. There is one in Indy.
Old Dec 27, 07, 11:48 pm

I don't believe you need a passport to go to Mexico until 2009. A drivers license and an official birth certificate will do. Along with a passport expiring soon, I don't expect you to have any issues.

(This assumes you are an american citizen though)
Old Dec 29, 07, 9:30 am

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html:
Implemented on January 23, 2007, ALL PERSONS traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean region are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.
Old Dec 29, 07, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
There is no 6 month rule for entry into Mexico. Just returned, and those in our party with under 6 months had no problem.
Old Dec 29, 07, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy View Post
I don't believe you need a passport to go to Mexico until 2009. A drivers license and an official birth certificate will do. Along with a passport expiring soon, I don't expect you to have any issues.

(This assumes you are an american citizen though)
You don't need a passport to go to/return from Mexico (or Canada, for that matter) only if traveling by land (and I think, by sea). The passport requirement has been there for air travel for close to a year.

As for the 6 month rule, I am not sure it is a strict rule or not, but many countries will be reluctant to let you in if you have under 6 months of validity left on your passport. This has been general advice for international travel for quite some time. Doesn't mean they won't let you in, but most countries can use this as a basis for denial of entry.

Search this Thread