Wiki Posts
Search

F9's new Standby Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2002, 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

F9's new Standby Policy

I read on F9's website that just yesterday they have changed their policy for standby. Briefly, if I understand this correctly, now if your travel plans change, you can fly standby either the day before or the day after your scheduled return flight for a fee of $100. The old policy required a $60 fee plus the difference between the paid fare of your ticket and the fare of any available seats on that flight you might standby for. This is an improvement. In my experience, if you finished your business early and wanted to get home, the penalty for standby travel on F9 was quite excessive compared to other carriers.

It is not clear whether there is any fee now required to fly standby on a different flight on the same day of a scheduled return trip. It is also not clear whether the fee is not charged if you are not successful with your standby effort.

Early Returns Summit members do not even have to pay the $100.

The old part of F9's policy regarding standby flying was my biggest gripe with what I think is a good little airline. My business plans could easily change at the destination city, and F9 would really punish me for trying to get home early, and they were not flexible at all. This new policy will go a long way in making schedule changes more workable.

Bottom line for me: I will be doing more flying on F9.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 10:54 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why is this not getting more attention?

Frontier Airlines has relaxed its standby policy. For a flat $100 fee - with no change charges or fare increases - Frontier pax will be permitted to stand by for flights on the return leg of their itineraries.

Early Returns Summit members do not even have to pay the $100.

Old May 10, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AirTran Elite, Hertz PC
Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I have a question about F9's current standby policy for non elites which seems to be the same as when this was posted. My question is what is their policy on standby if I want to catch an earlier flight on the same day as my return leg was booked? Is this allowed without a fee? What about connecting flights?

All I could find about standby on their website was for day before or after with the $100 fee.

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2006, 10:41 am

The current standby policy allows for free same-day standby on all flights. Day before or day after incurs a $100 standby fee.
Old May 8, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: DL AA UA CO
Originally Posted by foxnine
The current standby policy allows for free same-day standby on all flights. Day before or day after incurs a $100 standby fee.
Another nice policy hits the dust as Frontier tries to battle Southwest at DEN.

Frontier - Change to Standby Rule: (May 07/ 1400 CDT) Effective Jun 10, 2008 Frontier will be changing a part of its standby policy. The new fare rules will be uploaded on Jun 09 to take effect on Jun 10. This new policy applies to all standby requests except Early Returns Summit members (Summit members are free).

Current Policy:

$100 fee for standby handled at ATO 4 hrs to 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure time for day before or day after original RETURN/ OW segment.
New Policy:

Policy: $100 change fee plus fare difference for standby handled at ATO 4 hrs to 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure time for day before or day after original RETURN/ OW segment.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, WN CP, Marriott Gold
spdickey - I don't see this anywhere on Frontier's website, where did you find it?

Just to confirm - I understand that the $100 fee has always been waived for Summit members, but you're saying that now the fare difference will be waived as well? The new policy definately stinks for regular travelers (though it does bring them in line with most other carriers, except United which now charged $150 for changes), but it also reinforces what I've always thought about Summit being one of the easiest-to-attain yet most-valuable of any airline's FF programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.