Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns (Pre-Alignment)
Reload this Page >

Does award avaiability ever change or open up on a given segment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

I am looking to use miles for an award flight between DAY-DEN. My travel dates are not till April. I prefer the afternoon flights in both directions, but all that's currenty available are the morning flights for my dates of travel in both directions. Historically, I've seen fares go up and down between these cities, and particularly dropping after the first of the year for spring travel. Being this far out, I am surprised that the afternoon flights are already not available, and wondering if award seats might open up when fares start to drop. Or, do simply award seats never open up? Thank you.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:34 pm

Frontier award availability is just about the worst in the business. The fact you're finding an available flight on the day you want to travel is a bit of a miracle. So if you can make it work at all, book it!

In my experience, award seats are available almost entirely on either the very earliest flight of the day, or the latest. Rarely is one available during 'typical' travel times.

There's always the chance they'll open up more award availability, but don't hold your breath. If you have status with them, you can get on any flight for about double the miles (last time I checked).

Frontier's lack of award seats is the main reason I've switched the majority of my 75K miles/year to United.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
update

update to my original posting. I checked the award availability today, and now the afternoon flight for my return date has opened up, but now I am waiting for the afternoon flight to Denver to open up. Don't know if it will or not, but it seems to be a good sign that award seats have opened up, at least for my return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.