Possible to upgrade to classic pass?

Old Sep 29, 09, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Possible to upgrade to classic pass?

I purchased tickets through a credit card program (not associated with any airline). Not sure that I had the option of purchasing the classic or classic plus. It is a ski trip so if we decide to bring our gear instead of rent, we will be checking a bag and ski gear each (counts a two bags I believe). The round trip difference between economy and classic is $50. The round trip price to check two bags is $100. Our trip is not until February. Will Frontier allow an upgrade after the initial ticket purchase?
Old Sep 29, 09, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Don't know the answer to whether you can upgrade and don't know any other option apart from contacting Frontier reservations and asking. Please post your response.

As for whether you had the option, I don't think the Classic/Plus options are available except through the Frontier web booking system. They're trying to figure that out but the other systems (Travelocity etc) are focused on returning the lowest price, rather than presenting options. When I last booked a trip using credit card points, it booked into the lowest class. Not surprising considering the credit card company is trying to get the lowest price. I'm Summit, so it didn't make any difference. I did call Frontier right away and they added my Summit info to the reservation and let me select seats etc.
Old Sep 29, 09, 1:53 pm

Many credit card reward tickets are issued with no fare on them. If your ticket receipt says "BT" (bulk ticket) where the fare and tax should be shown, then you have to pay for baggage and you cannot upgrade. Don't miss your flight either, because you cannot even exchange that type of ticket for a different day. Since it's 100.00 plus fare difference to change your ticket, including upgrading to Classic, it's probably not worth it. FYI, skis, poles, and boots, even if packed separately count as 1 baggage item.
Old Sep 30, 09, 11:32 am

Once your ticket is issued, no it is not possible change the fare level you purchased. Also, you can only book Classic or Classic Plus through frontierairlines.com. All other means of booking will yield lowest possible rates, therefore economy tickets.

It is possible that some last minute bookings will only offer Classic fares, so you could find yourself travelling on a Classic ticket while purchasing through another source other than frontierairlines.com.
Old Oct 16, 09, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I called Frontier and was told that in order to upgrade I would have to pay a $100 change fee plus any fare difference. Since the base price of the ticket is about $50 more than when I purchased and the Classic pass costs $50 more, the net result is $200 extra after the change fee is added in. Not worth it. One person in our party did purchase a ticket via the Frontier website. Looks like they are now traveling with 2 - 49.9-lb bags.

Thanks for the info. I guess we will have to decide if bringing our skis vs renting is worth it with respect to cost and convenience.
Old Nov 7, 09, 8:55 am

thanks for posting this info as I was wondering the same. I purchased on American Express and did not even know the about classic/ economy. was hoping it would be just an upgrade fee- maybe they are missing the boat on an increase of revenue here as I will also stay in economy.
Old Nov 11, 09, 3:12 pm

Frontier is in the process of re-configuring the Airbus fleet. The first four rows will be called *Stretch* seating, available at the airport for 15.00 to Classic/Classic Plus/Ascent members, 25.00 for economy ticket holders, and free for Summit/Midwest Elite members. I think they can pre-reserve these seats. The current Midwest E-190 fleet already has Stretch seating (formerly referred to as *Signature*).
Old Nov 11, 09, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by azstar View Post
Frontier is in the process of re-configuring the Airbus fleet. The first four rows will be called *Stretch* seating, available at the airport for 15.00 to Classic/Classic Plus/Ascent members, 25.00 for economy ticket holders, and free for Summit/Midwest Elite members. I think they can pre-reserve these seats. The current Midwest E-190 fleet already has Stretch seating (formerly referred to as *Signature*).
Stretch seating is free to Classic Plus and Summit members. All others pay depending on their fare. Classic tickets will pay an additional $15 and economy tickets will pay $25.

Search this Thread