Search

$600 paid over 2 years & 1099

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:05 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

$600 paid over 2 years & 1099

Can the 1099 kick in before you receive the prize?

Last edited by msv; May 12, 2008 at 6:25 pm
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by msv
I won $600 from Netwinner this year ^ and as I earn each $25 give card I request them. Currently it's taking about 75 days to process a win so if I request the $25 I have due it will hit $600 and they say it will trigger the 1099. Clearly I won't get any payout into 2008 for several of the prizes. So you savvy winners can the 1099 kick in before you receive the prize?
Even though I don't play Netwinner, I think I understand the question ... but I could be wrong I'll give it a stab anyway. Someone correct me if I've got this wrong.

1099s are based on the amount of cash (or the ARV of a prize) you have actually received in your hot little hands by Dec. 31. So if you win a prize today, but don't receive it until Jan 1, the value will count toward 2008 taxes, rather than 2007 taxes.

So if it takes 75 days to convert your Netwinner points to a gift card, you wouldn't actually receive that gift card until the end of January, right? In which case the value ought to go toward 2008 taxes. If, however, Netwinner gets efficient and you receive the card before Dec. 31, pushing your total to $600 actually received in this year, then yes, it will trigger a 1099.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Actually flyingmama might be right but might not. I thought I read somewhere that someone won a car in X year & it wasn't delivered until Y year, but they still got stuck w/ the 1099 in X year. I'd check w/ your accountant.

Cheers.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:22 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually flyingmama might be right but might not. I thought I read somewhere that someone won a car in X year & it wasn't delivered until Y year, but they still got stuck w/ the 1099 in X year. I'd check w/ your accountant.

Cheers.
This is the premise that NetWinner is using and sure want to get a clear answer before I cross the magic threshold. I would interested to hear from former winners of other contests how it was handled. I would also be concerned with the current sluggish pace of kicking out gift cards a 1099 might not appear until it was months late too.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 3:24 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Even though I don't play Netwinner, I think I understand the question ... but I could be wrong I'll give it a stab anyway. Someone correct me if I've got this wrong.

1099s are based on the amount of cash (or the ARV of a prize) you have actually received in your hot little hands by Dec. 31. So if you win a prize today, but don't receive it until Jan 1, the value will count toward 2008 taxes, rather than 2007 taxes.

So if it takes 75 days to convert your Netwinner points to a gift card, you wouldn't actually receive that gift card until the end of January, right? In which case the value ought to go toward 2008 taxes. If, however, Netwinner gets efficient and you receive the card before Dec. 31, pushing your total to $600 actually received in this year, then yes, it will trigger a 1099.
You are correct several of the cards will issue after Jan 1, 2008.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:07 pm

Sharon is correct that you probably need to consult a tax expert to be sure. If it were me, I would go by the actual date the cards are issued to determine what year they are taxable in... but I'm not a tax expert or an accountant, so take my advice for what it's worth, LOL.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:49 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Sharon is correct that you probably need to consult a tax expert to be sure. If it were me, I would go by the actual date the cards are issued to determine what year they are taxable in... but I'm not a tax expert or an accountant, so take my advice for what it's worth, LOL.
Guess this is a reason not to use an H&R Block seasonal accountant. Unless someone pipes in with proof otherwise I'll just wait until Jan 1 to submit my current winnings - unless of course one of those BIG wins comes my way!
thx.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
A couple years ago I won a basket full of items including 2 bottles of alcohol and a nice brief case at a national meeting. Much (and I do mean MUCH) to my surprise a 1099 was turned in with an extremely inflated value for the basket. Obviously the company running the meeting had a huge mark up on those 'gift' items.

This was before the current TSA rules. I was able to take the liquor, but not the actual basket home as it was too big to be a carry on item and too fragile to be checked.

Had I known I would have declined the basket. I ended up paying taxes on the inflated value.

Lesson learned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.