Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in France in March ideas? Southern cities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon in France in March ideas? Southern cities?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by dtc
Does that make sense?
Oh yes
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why go to stay in Paris at all if you only have a week? You can take the TGV directly or fly from CDG to NCE or Marseilles. (Don't transfer to Orly for the domestic flights; it takes too much time.)

I like Aix-en-Provence. There's some good wine just east of Marseille, in Bandol in particular.

It's better to have a car in this region, but the Riviera will be closed at this time of year except for cities like Nice and Cannes, plus the country of Monaco.

Don't try to do too much. It's your honeymoon so you want time to "relax."
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Mont Saint Michel is pretty easy by public transport if you train to Rennes and then bus from there.
I'd want a car to go there. Plus it's fun to drive in Normandy/Brittany as the countryside and coastline are so pretty.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why go to stay in Paris at all if you only have a week? You can take the TGV directly or fly from CDG to NCE or Marseilles. (Don't transfer to Orly for the domestic flights; it takes too much time.)
Why fly to CDG and then take the TGV? Might as well fly directly into LYS or NCE.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dtc
Thanks everyone.

My new plan looks like this: CDG->Paris->Avignon (I remember it from European History AP as the "Too many popes" time)->Nice - with day trips to Cannes, Monaco, etc.

I was planning to take TGV from Paris to Avignon and then to Nice.

Does that make sense?
dtc - Did you take this trip? Were you happy with the choices / time frames in each city? Working on an itinerary for the South of France now and looking for input!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:40 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
I did go. In hindsight, I personally I wish I had skipped Avignon and spent more time in the Nice area - there was so much more to do in that area. (My wife probably would disagree.)

Don't get me wrong - Avignon has some good restaurants and nice scenery (and that crazy bridge), but... eh.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the update! Leaning toward more time in Nice as well.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If one only compares the cities, Nice will indeed be more interesting than Avignon. However, you could easily spend 7 to 10 days exploring the areas around Avignon. Staying 10 days in/around Nice would probably need to be filled with a lot of beach time.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I spent 3-4 nights in Avignon two summers ago and fell in love. Really amazing city. Days were spent roaming the old city, and also renting a car to drive to some of the best vineyards in France in Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

There are some amazing hotels in the city, but I happened to grab an Airbnb and scored BIG TIME. The hosts were these two older gentlemen who we the nicest and most accommodating people I've ever met - the own a magnificent property in the city...really amazing stuff. PM me if you want details or more suggestions.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Le Prieuré is one of the amazing chateaux/hotels in Avignon, even though it is technically just outside of the city. It is surrounded by an ancient priory which is rather interesting in its own right. Michelin-starred restaurant too.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by stimpy
Le Prieuré is one of the amazing chateaux/hotels in Avignon, even though it is technically just outside of the city. It is surrounded by an ancient priory which is rather interesting in its own right. Michelin-starred restaurant too.
I see that le Prieuré is in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. What a magical spot.

I stayed in a hotel with the same name outside Aix-en-Provence in 1999. It was a typical little inexpensive French hotel, not at all elegant but perfectly serviceable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.