Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Annecy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What to do in Annecy?

I just booked a flight for myself and my wife in mid-February to fly to GVA. She wants to go to Annecy, so we'll in all likelihood be spending 2 days there (arriving early Friday morning and leaving Sunday morning). I've never been to this part of France before - only Paris and Nice/Cannes a long, long time ago - so I wanted to solicit the good opinions of the people here on what is good to see in Annecy, as well as any recommendations on hotels and (especially) food.

Additionally - if there is any advice on how to get to Annecy from GVA, that would be immensely helpful. It seems like taking a cab is the most straightforward and direct way of getting there, but not sure if you have to call ahead, if taking a cab from the airport is possible or if you have to reserve one ahead of time, etc.

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Hotel: can't suggest anything since I was staying with relatives

Transportation from GVA : to give you an idea
http://www.rome2rio.com/s/Annecy/Geneva

What to do in February: Skiing, visiting old town, a boat tour on the lake ( I believe that they do have it in winter), or have a look at these 10 things -to-see

Note: In summer, we did a lot of outdoor activities : hiking , visiting some farms nearby for the Reblochon cheese, going to Talloires and Chamonix where you can go up L'Aiguille du Midi

Food: try tartiflette and fondue Savoyarde and if you like beers, you will have some good choices
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'd recommend renting a car at GVA as the area in and around Annecy is very beautiful and interesting and you will want to have a car to get around. Especially if you want to go up to higher elevations. You can drive over to one of the telecabin sites not far from Annecy. Or just drive around to various points on the lake and hike around. If you don't want to drive from some reason and just want to stay in the town of Annecy, then yes you can take any cab on the French side. No reservation required, however it will be rather expensive. A cheaper option would be the train or bus or combination of the two.

Realize that in February all the hotels, airbnb places and general BnB lodges will be packed full of skiers. If you don't already have a hotel reservation you'd better make one quick. And once you get to a few weeks before your stay, you might want to think about restaurant reservations as the good restaurants will be quite full. School holidays in France and neighboring countries occur in February and thus it is the height of high season.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I fully agree with Stimpy. You have to rent a car to enjoy this beautiful area. The old part of the city is also top notch.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

I booked a hotel stay at Les Loges Annecy Vieille given proximity to the part of the older city and general top-notch reviews.

Is a car really preferred / necessary for a short stay? Just asking as it seems flying into GVA, you can depart the airport directly into France or into Switzerland, and that has an impact (in my case, negative for the latter). If having a car would be an absolute, unmitigated plus, I'd definitely consider it, but I feel like there's probably enough to fill the time in ~48 hours in the city to see without needing our own transport. I'd love to spend more time seeing the surrounding area, but I'm also someone who thinks that spending quality time hitting a few precise locations is better than running around trying to see every.last.thing, where it will be more a memory by camera than something that stays with you.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'd recommend renting a car at GVA as the area in and around Annecy is very beautiful and interesting and you will want to have a car to get around. Especially if you want to go up to higher elevations. You can drive over to one of the telecabin sites not far from Annecy. Or just drive around to various points on the lake and hike around. .
Totally agree with this. You could visit both Annecy and Chamonix in those two days. Driving is very easy and it gives you the opportunity to stop along the way. You won't be sorry. The Annecy area is very beautiful.

Bobette
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I booked a hotel stay at Les Loges Annecy Vieille given proximity to the part of the older city and general top-notch reviews.

Is a car really preferred / necessary for a short stay? Just asking as it seems flying into GVA, you can depart the airport directly into France or into Switzerland, and that has an impact (in my case, negative for the latter). If having a car would be an absolute, unmitigated plus, I'd definitely consider it, but I feel like there's probably enough to fill the time in ~48 hours in the city to see without needing our own transport. I'd love to spend more time seeing the surrounding area, but I'm also someone who thinks that spending quality time hitting a few precise locations is better than running around trying to see every.last.thing, where it will be more a memory by camera than something that stays with you.
Yes at GVA you can directly enter France or Switzerland and if you rent a car you can choose one side or the other as well. So in your case you should choose the French side whether taking a taxi or a rental.

If it was me, I would look at the cost of taxis versus a rental and in this case I'm pretty sure a rental would be cheaper even if you just use the car to go from the airport to the hotel and back and even if you have to pay for parking at your hotel. Thus even if you choose to stay in the center you are better off renting a car. And if it catches your whim to go out for a drive in the morning, your car is there waiting for you. If not, just use it to drive back to GVA.

That said, if this is your first time overseas and you are afraid of driving then sure, go with the taxi. But driving in France is pretty much the same as driving in the US. Except without the police cruisers all over.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: LCAH Gold
The "Col de la Forclaz" worth renting a car in Annecy. It is a tiny 25-km drive from the Old Town and you will be awarded by a gorgeous panoramic view on the Lake. This place is also the starting point for paragliding and hand-gliding : quite an amazing experience to see the departure of these things just over your head !
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Buaires
The "Col de la Forclaz" worth renting a car in Annecy. It is a tiny 25-km drive from the Old Town and you will be awarded by a gorgeous panoramic view on the Lake. This place is also the starting point for paragliding and hand-gliding : quite an amazing experience to see the departure of these things just over your head !
This is truly a beautiful route Just don't use it if it's foggy. There is a restaurant on the curve coming down into the town of Montigny that has the most delicious asparagus in season. It's on the left side, coming from Chamonix, at a sharp curve coming down into the town of Montigny. I wish I could think of the name of it. It also serves the best rösti I've ever had.

Bobette
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes at GVA you can directly enter France or Switzerland and if you rent a car you can choose one side or the other as well. So in your case you should choose the French side whether taking a taxi or a rental.

If it was me, I would look at the cost of taxis versus a rental and in this case I'm pretty sure a rental would be cheaper even if you just use the car to go from the airport to the hotel and back and even if you have to pay for parking at your hotel. Thus even if you choose to stay in the center you are better off renting a car. And if it catches your whim to go out for a drive in the morning, your car is there waiting for you. If not, just use it to drive back to GVA.

That said, if this is your first time overseas and you are afraid of driving then sure, go with the taxi. But driving in France is pretty much the same as driving in the US. Except without the police cruisers all over.
It looks like taxis are ~EUR 75 one-way which, while expensive, isn't a dealbreaker. I have zero issue with driving (especially if it's on the right side of the road, literally and figuratively), but given I will be jetlagged, it's more of a question of whether or not the sightseeing advantages of having a car, given the constrained amount of time, outweighs the general fatigue and bias towards not driving that I would have in such a situation.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It looks like taxis are ~EUR 75 one-way which, while expensive, isn't a dealbreaker. I have zero issue with driving (especially if it's on the right side of the road, literally and figuratively), but given I will be jetlagged, it's more of a question of whether or not the sightseeing advantages of having a car, given the constrained amount of time, outweighs the general fatigue and bias towards not driving that I would have in such a situation.
For me it's no brainer : rent a car !
And about fatigue, keep in mind that this drive is pretty short.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 1:37 pm

In case you drive, you might have to be prepared to pay toll on the motorway. Don't use the lane with the yellow t. Go for cash or card.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Okay okay, so I ended up renting a car. I also booked our two dinners at La Ciboulette and Yoann Conte, respectively - both seem to have pretty good reviews (and are Michelin-starred); has anyone ever been there personally?

A couple other questions as well...any good breakfast/lunch spots that could be recommended? And in the winter, is trying to hike La Tournette a good idea or not if it's not snowing out?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I was going to recommend bike riding; great path around the lake. But not in February.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I was going to recommend bike riding; great path around the lake. But not in February.
Yeah, probably not ideal. The 15-day forecast (admittedly, this is probably just completely random forecast generation by a computer) says it might be raining/snowing on the weekend (in 2 weeks' time). :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.