Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

What is best way to see Normandy if U R in Paris ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Our group wants to go to Normandy when we are in Paris in October of this year. Is there a best way to do this? Is it a one day trip or should we count on more than 1 day? If we go to the city of Normandy will we see the important parts of the D-Day invasion memorials? We are not sure what is where and just where we need to go. Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by vandy86
Our group wants to go to Normandy when we are in Paris in October of this year. Is there a best way to do this? Is it a one day trip or should we count on more than 1 day? If we go to the city of Normandy will we see the important parts of the D-Day invasion memorials? We are not sure what is where and just where we need to go. Thanks
There is no city of Normandy in France. The place you're thinking of is a region the size of Belgium or Maryland. The Wikipedia article I linked to is a good place to start reading about the region.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Normandy is a region of France, not a city. Many people like to make Bayeux a base for Invasion Beach exploration. You might take a look at the Office de Tourisme for more information:

http://bayeux-bessin-tourisme.com/en/
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
As others have noted Normandy is a region, not a town.
I'm perplexed as a basic search by you would have explained this.
If you search "Normandy" here you get several threads including:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...-normandy.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...ndy-tours.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...portation.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...n-giverny.html
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:59 am

I suggest you invest in a guide book, perhaps Rick Steves France 2015, to get a sense of what the DDay sites are.

We did a thrre day trip from Paris to this area last month and it was just the riGht amount of time. I would not recommend a one day trip as the travel out and back takes half a day and it would likely not be worth it.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
My recommendation for Normandy:
Rent a car
Drive to Honfleur and spend a couple hours there
Then drive to Bayeux, see the tapestry and a museum (if you have time) and spend the night. Drink lots of cider and Calvados.
Next day see the beaches and a museum - either the one in Bayeux or drive out to Sainte Mere Eglise to see the Airborne museum.
Then either head back in to Paris, or add another day and see Mont Saint Michel.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
My recommendation for Normandy:
Rent a car
Drive to Honfleur and spend a couple hours there
Then drive to Bayeux, see the tapestry and a museum (if you have time) and spend the night. Drink lots of cider and Calvados.
Next day see the beaches and a museum - either the one in Bayeux or drive out to Sainte Mere Eglise to see the Airborne museum.
Then either head back in to Paris, or add another day and see Mont Saint Michel.
Are there significant DDay sights in Honfleur?

We had some enjoyable visits to Homfleur in the 1990s and early 2000s. We last went in 2006, and it was overrun by tourists, primarily German tourists.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Not really D-Day stuff in Honfleur. I suggested it (as well as the tapestry) because there is much more to Normandy than just D-Day stuff.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If you are trying to do it in a day, I'd suggest one of the coach tours from Paris. Not the way I would do it (I'd stay 2-3 nights in Normandy), but it's an option.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would focus on Honfleur and Caen, but I'm not interested in DDay. Its also nice to just drive through the countryside in this area of France. Mont St Michel is impressive but can be mobbed with tourists. (I'm not sure whether it's officially in Normandy or Brittany.)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
As long as there's no cloud, you ought to be able to see much of Normandy on a flight from the USA into Paris. Failing that, wait for a clear day, check the routings in use, and book a last minute flight. I've had some stunning views of Normandy from flights from London to Nice or Barcelona

Note - these suggestions assume you want to see Normandy, as the title requests, different options are recommended if you want to visit the region ;-)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Mont St Michel is impressive but can be mobbed with tourists. (I'm not sure whether it's officially in Normandy or Brittany.)
Normandy But it's just at the limit with Brittany.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
If you're interested in D-Day there's an excellent museum in Caen, Le Mémorial de Caen. I took a tour of the sites with them, which was superb -- a minibus with a very well-informed driver, and more concerned with showing us stuff than generating revenue, like a for-profit company might do.

And definitely don't forget Bayeaux, with the astonishing 1000-year old tapestry. Honfleur as mentioned is a lovely seaside town, Trouville and Deauville nearby (and more or less the same place) are also lovely.

Dammit, it's France. Everywhere is good.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Very easy to take a train to the area as well. Pretty easy day trip. The year I went with my wife we took the train from Paris to Caen, rented a car, and drove back via the Loire Valley. Very nice trip. Did Mont St Michel along the way.

The weather might be dicey that time of year, so dress warmly. Remember you're along the coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.