Getting from CDG to Paris Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from CDG to Paris Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: 8 mm lifetime,1K, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Roissy bus to Opera is a great deal if your hotel is near the Opera. A cab can be very expensive if the traffic is bad.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
I've never bumped one of these "digest" threads before, so I hope posting here is ok!

After reading the threads, watching youtube videos and soliciting stories from travelers more experienced than myself, I am still not decided on how to guide Mrs. McNandez and I myself from CDG -> the Raddison Blu.

Our situation:
We're arriving in Paris at 10:40AM on Sunday. I've never been to Paris, Mrs. McNandez hasn't been since she was a kid.
Considering that we might be jet-lagged and disoriented, is the AF bus the way to go? It seems like the RER and metro are the cheapest way to go, but I'd like to make it as easy on us as possible. If the AF bus is ideal, should we buy tickets ahead of time?

Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you have never been to Paris before and are going to be arriving tired after having made a transatlantic flight, I would not necessarily recommend taking the RER/métro. It does only cost 9.75€ per ticket but you will be making a connection at Châtelet and walking, carrying your luggage, several blocks from probably the George V métro station.

You can purchase AF Bus #2 tickets in advance for 16.20€ but it will still require a bit of walking with luggage and finding your way once the bus drops you at Étoile.

Consider a taxi from the official taxi queue, usually curbside but steps from the Customs exits. Do not accept offers from clandestine drivers soliciting from within the terminals. Taxis will drop you off at your hotel´s doorstep for about 50€ to 55€. Tipping taxi drivers is not necessary, I usually round up the fare to the nearest 5€.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:20 pm

Thanks, Tamino!

A taxi sounds pretty nice, but as it looks like our hotel is only 350 meters from the AF stop, the bus seems like a good mid-priced solution. We're both fairly young and in shape, and will be excited despite the possibility of jet lag, so hopefully it won't be too much of a trek!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:16 pm
iff

Finding your way shouldn't be a problem as avenue Marceau is exactly opposite avenue Carnot, so whether you go right or left around the place de l'Étoile makes no real difference.

Personally, I sometimes find the AF bus makes for a more relaxing transition between the long flight and arrival in Paris, especially given a recent experience with a crazy Parisian taxi driver (a rare occurrence, thank goodness). If you're not burdened with lots of heavy luggage, it can be good to get out and move around.

On the other hand, if it's raining you might prefer to take a taxi and save yourselves 350 meters of sogginess.

You know the options; the choice is up to you.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Family of 4 and taxi

So we have a family of 4. Would a taxi be able to take all of us and luggage?
We are planning a 14 day trip so a bit more than roll a boards.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:17 pm

Thanks, Iff! I went ahead and purchased us tickets for AF #2. Hopefully it won't be raining, but even if it is, it'll be a welcome change from the dreadful heat we're having here in Los Angeles!

I can't wait!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
So we have a family of 4. Would a taxi be able to take all of us and luggage?
Taxis can accommodate up to 7 with luggage. On top of the fare, there will be a 3€ charge for the 4th and subsequent passenger(s) and a 1€ charge for the second and subsequent bag placed into the trunk.

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We are planning a 14 day trip so a bit more than roll a boards.
I am sure there are many of us here who travel regularly for extended periods, beyond a fortnight, with nothing other than a small bag and a 22" roll-a-board. For the most part, you are responsible for handling your own luggage when you travel so you will want your bag count, and bag sizes, to be manageable.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by McNandez
Thanks, Iff! I went ahead and purchased us tickets for AF #2. Hopefully it won't be raining, but even if it is, it'll be a welcome change from the dreadful heat we're having here in Los Angeles!

I can't wait!
You will be fine with the AF bus. Before you go, check a map of Etoile for the AF bus drop off and the street off of the big circle you will be turning down.

The metro to RER from the Radisson Blu is just nuts, unless one worries a lot about traffic.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Sep 11, 2014 at 10:18 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Don't forget Uber as an option. About 45€ from CDG to city center. Some of our bloggers note there is a $30 discount on first use. I've used them in the US and plan on using them in Paris for the first time this weekend.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
Don't forget Uber as an option. About 45€ from CDG to city center. Some of our bloggers note there is a $30 discount on first use. I've used them in the US and plan on using them in Paris for the first time this weekend.
I use Uber more than any transport, even though I have an account with both G7 and Le cab.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Options:

17 euro (online/machine/onboard price may vary a bit; hour+; very traffic affected) + likely 1.4 euro metro/bus ticket from drop-off point.

http://boutique.lescarsairfrance.com....php?id_lang=2

vs 10 euro (lots of pick pockets and chip+pin card required for ticket machine or add an hour or more for ticket line!) for RER (30 min)

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61854/rer-b/

vs 2.8 euro (via carnet 10 pack or 3.6 for 2 single t+ tkts) [nice] CIF bus #93 from terminal 3 (30 min; min traffic affected) to Bobigny – Pablo Picasso M5 then (25 min) to city center/Gare du Nord (easy!)

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...e-visitor.html

From Orly there is the 2013 completed T7 Tram line to the end of M7 Villejuif - also only 2 t+ tickets to most anywhere in Paris - very relaxing compared to 12 euro Orlyval and (likely) ticket line delays if not chip card! It's a bit of a stroll (inside) to t7 boarding area but no (or maybe one set of) stairs. about 1h20m (2x as long as Orlyval)?

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/en/pa...ort/tramway-t7
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by uds0
Options:

17 euro (online/machine/onboard price may vary a bit; hour+; very traffic affected) + likely 1.4 euro metro/bus ticket from drop-off point.

http://boutique.lescarsairfrance.com....php?id_lang=2

vs 10 euro (lots of pick pockets and chip+pin card required for ticket machine or add an hour or more for ticket line!) for RER (30 min)

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/r_61854/rer-b/

vs 2.8 euro (via carnet 10 pack or 3.6 for 2 single t+ tkts) [nice] CIF bus #93 from terminal 3 (30 min; min traffic affected) to Bobigny – Pablo Picasso M5 then (25 min) to city center/Gare du Nord (easy!)

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...e-visitor.html

From Orly there is the 2013 completed T7 Tram line to the end of M7 Villejuif - also only 2 t+ tickets to most anywhere in Paris - very relaxing compared to 12 euro Orlyval and (likely) ticket line delays if not chip card! It's a bit of a stroll (inside) to t7 boarding area but no (or maybe one set of) stairs. about 1h20m (2x as long as Orlyval)?

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/en/pa...ort/tramway-t7
Chip and pin is not required to buy RER tickets at CDG. I have bought them using a non chip USA card, though with many cards now chip and sign, those should work too. The machines also accept cash.

Also, while one should be cautious and stay near other travelers on the RER, "many pickpockets" is an overstatement.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Mar 31, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Non-chip cards work occasionally for RER/RATP (depends on the machines, and I think even amount factors in).

However, I have had 100% success with my Chase Marriott Chip and Sign card.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Chip and pin is not required to buy RER tickets at CDG. I have bought them using a non chip USA card, though with many cards now chip and sign, those should work too. The machines also accept cash.
There are no longer any ticket kiosks at either Roissypol or Terminal 2 which accept magnetic strip credit cards. RER ticket kiosks only accept cards with chips. The kiosks also accept coins. There is a bill changer near the kiosks in Terminal 2.

Those with magnetic strip credit cards wanting to purchase tickets now need to use the service window.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Non-chip cards work occasionally for RER/RATP (depends on the machines, and I think even amount factors in).
I have heard reports that métro kiosks at Musée du Louvre will accept magnetic strip credit cards but I have not personally seen any stations where magnetic strip cards are accepted except at the service windows. Métro ticket kiosks accept coins or credit cards with chips. Every métro station has at least one kiosk which will accept bills as a form of payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.