FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Any site like this one? (link inside) Paris descriptions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/986456-any-site-like-one-link-inside-paris-descriptions.html)

sard Aug 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Any site like this one? (link inside) Paris descriptions

While researching my trip to Paris, I found this site:
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...nce/paris1.htm

Are there anymore sites like that?

The link I provided is a walk starting from Notre Dame.
I like it because he said a few things to check out, for example:

"The closest Metro stops are Cité, Hôtel de Ville, and St-Michel, each requiring a short walk. On the square in front of the cathedral, stand far enough back to take in the whole facade. Find the circular window in the center. "

"Looking two-thirds of the way up Notre-Dame's left tower, those with binoculars or good eyes can find Paris' most photographed gargoyle. Propped on his elbows on the balcony rail, he watches all the tourists in line."

"Now turn your attention to the church facade. Look at the left doorway (the Portal of Mary) and, to the left of the door, find the statue with his head in his hands."

Its like a guide for when you get there.
Most travel books and sites just gave descriptions, but no "step by step"

Are there other sites with similiar things so I can read up and get some ideas on what to look for when I get there.

I know, I know, I should look at things I am interested in :)
But it wouldn't hurt to get other ideas on some stuff I might not notice.

Thanks!
-Tony

Wtmarie Aug 19, 2009 8:55 am

How long are you staying in Paris? Let me know what you are interested in and I would be happy to help. I am originally from France.
One of the first thing I tell my friends is to find a hotel in the center of Paris (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th arrondissement). For example, do not stay near the Champs Elysees. It's worth walking there once, but it is full of tourist and you won't get a real "parisian experience).

nicolas75 Aug 19, 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sard (Post 12246980)
Are there other sites with similiar things so I can read up and get some ideas on what to look for when I get there.
-Tony

The New York Times has very well documented articles on Paris.

trsny Aug 19, 2009 9:02 pm

A lot of what's in Rick Steve's books is step by step. You can get an idea from the latest edition of his book on Paris. You can also download his audio tours on iTunes.

I used his book for my trip to Paris, but supplemented it with other things I picked up in researching my trip.

mhnadel Aug 20, 2009 9:36 am

Four ideas:

1) The DK Eyewitness Travel Guides are very much aong those lines, with neighborhood by neighborhood walking maps and fairly detailed descriptions. I've found them quite valuable in Rome and London, but have never used the Paris one.

2) The mainstream guidebooks (Frommer's, Fodor's and the like) usually have at least one or two walking tours of major cities on their websites.

3) There is an excellent book called Paris Walks which also includes some that take you off the beaten path. I have seen a similar idea on little cards, which could be easier to carry.

4) My boyfriend is a great fan of a book called "Turn Right at the Fountain." I've never used it myself, so that's a second hand recommendation. I have some qualms about how up to date it would be since it looks like the most recent edition is from 1996, but major tourist attractions tend not to change much. It might be worth looking for at a library, though, to see if it would suit your needs.

Also, don't forget about organized walking tours. I haven't done any in Paris, but I've done several of the London Walks and found them quite entertaining.

mhnadel Aug 20, 2009 9:37 am

One other thought - a lot of tourist offices give out or sell walking tour maps. I'm not sure if the tourist info centers in Paris have those, but it is worth stopping in one to see.

nicolas75 Aug 20, 2009 10:51 am

I am a big fan of Gallimard's Cartoville city guides.

There is an English version

A pilot version of the Cartoville Paris on an iPhone will be launched on Apple App-store within the first Semester of 2009. It will be also launched in its English, German, Spanish and Italian version, and then extended to all destination countries covered by the Cartoville series.

The same development has been achieved on a BlackBerry bold, which will be enriched with the same content and services and tested on the RIM portal as well as on the Orange Store in March 2009