Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Versailles & Chartres in a single day trip from Paris?

Old Jul 26, 09, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.

My wife & daughter (16) are spending a few days in Paris next month...flying on my miles, staying in a 4-star hotel on my points, and not bringing me with them. [Anyone feel sorry for me? Not that I'm getting sympathy at home, either...]

They were wondering about doing Versailles & Chartres in a single day.

Has anyone used Versailles Chantiers train station (instead of the direct train to Versailles Rive Gauche from Paris) to go from Versailles to Chartres (or Chartres to Versailles)?

How does it work with the tickets (that are generally round trip)?

Any useful info?

thx.
Old Jul 26, 09, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:Versailles & Chartres in one day

It could be done, but it's too much for one day. You can buy either one way or round-trip(aller/retour)tickets, which are just two one way tickets with no price reduction for buying two.
Old Jul 26, 09, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA
It's easy to do, though I agree both places deserve more than half a day. But if that's all they have, then your approach makes sense. Versailles-Chantier is my preferred way of getting to the castle: it's fast and only a short walk away from the station.

Depending on where you're coming from, taking the train from Montparnasse to Versailles-Chantier may actually be the fastest way to get to Versailles. I used to commute along that route and, if I took the right train, could be in Versailles in 12mn flat, 25mn on a slower train. Via the RER C, it would have been over an hour...

Assuming your wife and daughter want to visit Versailles first and then go on to Chartres, they will need to buy the following tickets:

1. Paris--Versailles-Chantier
2. Versailles-Chantier--Chartres
3. Chartres--Paris

These are commuter rail trains so no reservations needed. They can buy the tickets from a kiosk or a ticket agent at Montparnasse. The tickets will allow them to get on any of the trains doing this route, any day. They should hold on to the tickets since they will need them to exit the train station.

The tricky thing at Montparnasse is that it is actually 3 stations in one: a subway station (RATP), a train station (SNCF), and a commuter rail station (Transilien). And each has its own ticket system, kiosks, and agents... The commuter rail area is on the main floor -- they should not go up or down any stairs/escalators until after they have gone through the turnstiles.

You can get train schedules from the Transilien website: http://www.transilien.com/web/site

(To make things more confusing, much of that information is also available on the RATP website, since the Transilien is a partnership between the RATP and the SNCF)
Old Jul 27, 09, 6:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, LY Matmid
Originally Posted by midatl View Post
It's easy to do, though I agree both places deserve more than half a day. But if that's all they have, then your approach makes sense. Versailles-Chantier is my preferred way of getting to the castle: it's fast and only a short walk away from the station.

Depending on where you're coming from, taking the train from Montparnasse to Versailles-Chantier may actually be the fastest way to get to Versailles. I used to commute along that route and, if I took the right train, could be in Versailles in 12mn flat, 25mn on a slower train. Via the RER C, it would have been over an hour...

Assuming your wife and daughter want to visit Versailles first and then go on to Chartres, they will need to buy the following tickets:

1. Paris--Versailles-Chantier
2. Versailles-Chantier--Chartres
3. Chartres--Paris

These are commuter rail trains so no reservations needed. They can buy the tickets from a kiosk or a ticket agent at Montparnasse. The tickets will allow them to get on any of the trains doing this route, any day. They should hold on to the tickets since they will need them to exit the train station.

The tricky thing at Montparnasse is that it is actually 3 stations in one: a subway station (RATP), a train station (SNCF), and a commuter rail station (Transilien). And each has its own ticket system, kiosks, and agents... The commuter rail area is on the main floor -- they should not go up or down any stairs/escalators until after they have gone through the turnstiles.

You can get train schedules from the Transilien website: http://www.transilien.com/web/site

(To make things more confusing, much of that information is also available on the RATP website, since the Transilien is a partnership between the RATP and the SNCF)
Could this be done with a zone 6 Paris Visite card?
Old Jul 27, 09, 8:24 am

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
There is no bid differences between Versailles chantier and Versailles Rive Gauche.

Versailles chantier is 1.6 km far from Château de Versailles

Versailles Rive Gauche is half this way.
Old Jul 27, 09, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
There is no bid differences between Versailles chantier and Versailles Rive Gauche.

Versailles chantier is 1.6 km far from Château de Versailles

Versailles Rive Gauche is half this way.
Rive Gauche is bigger and easier to get to but as you say, further from the center of town.

I too suggest splitting this up and spending most of a day in Versailles. The farmer's market is well worth seeing. I think it's open on Sunday (or is it Saturday?) morning.

Search this Thread