FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Any reason you wouldn't depart CDG for TATL on 7/14? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/972127-any-reason-you-wouldnt-depart-cdg-tatl-7-14-a.html)

jacknyoc Jul 6, 2009 2:32 pm

Any reason you wouldn't depart CDG for TATL on 7/14?

May seem like an odd question, and apologies if I offend anyone, but wondering if there's any reason you wouldn't want to depart CDG for TATL flight on Bastille Day (aside from the obvious...that you would miss all the fun)? My point is whether there are any notorious airport of other transportation worker shortages or typical problems or the like since it's a National Holiday. Thank you in advance for input.

midatl Jul 7, 2009 12:45 am

Transportation may be an issue. There is a big military parade in the morning and it must impede traffic (I've never tried to get around on the 14th other than on foot.)

You may want to look into taking the RER (ratp.fr for schedules) and give yourself plenty of extra time. I believe the subway operates on a Sunday schedule on the 14th, but I may be mistaken. Provided you can get to CDG, July 14 is probably a very pleasant day to travel.

b1513 Jul 7, 2009 8:35 am

I've arrived on July 14 but haven't departed. Had no trouble at the airport or getting into the city by taxi although it was an early morning arrival. YMMV.

Bobette

Fornebufox Jul 7, 2009 9:29 am

Piggybacking on OP's question: Bastille Day is next Tuesday. Will this be one of those opportunities to faire le pont and take a bunch of time off so that it will be impossible to get anything done all week? Or do people usually buckle down during July (as much as they ever do) in anticipation of the country shutting down during August?

iff Jul 7, 2009 9:58 am

Some will no doubt faire le pont, and some will be taking their vacation. It's becoming more and more common for many people to take vacation in July, and I've seen signs popping up on some of the small businesses in my neighborhood announcing their closure during the next few weeks.

If you have specific places in mind, you could give them a call and see if they'll be open.

Regarding the OP's question, you shouldn't have any problems. Just remember that public transport will be running on a holiday schedule (see RATP site for schedules). Taxis should be available as usual.

jacknyoc Jul 7, 2009 12:07 pm

Thank you all.

We were in Paris last year on 7.14...very quiet if one was not among the festivities in and around the Champs Elysees during the parade or near the Eiffel Tower for the fire works that evening. In fact, we stayed around the Marais and Ille St. Louis most of the day and in that area along the Seine that night to see the fire works from afar and it all worked out well. but, we did not take any mass transit or the metro or a cab so have no experience. and, wasn't sure whether CDG would be on light staffing given the holiday.

Thank you

MatthewClement Jul 13, 2009 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Fornebufox (Post 12025306)
Piggybacking on OP's question: Bastille Day is next Tuesday. Will this be one of those opportunities to faire le pont and take a bunch of time off so that it will be impossible to get anything done all week? Or do people usually buckle down during July (as much as they ever do) in anticipation of the country shutting down during August?

A bit late for a response (sorry!) but nearly everyone at my office is taking the pont.