Community
Wiki Posts
Search

thanksgiving in Paris - Food to bring?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

thanksgiving in Paris - Food to bring?

Going to be visiting a friend in Paris over thanksgiving, and wondering, if there are any thanksgiving food items that might be difficult to find over there (that would be easy to take on a plane/check)?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA
You should be able to find nearly everything you need in the American specialty shops in Paris and/or the Grande Epicerie. (Though things will be more expensive )

My most reliable source for Thanksgiving supplies has been the "Thanksgiving" store in the Marais: 20 rue St Paul, 75004 (www.thanksgivingparis.com)

The "Real McCoy" also has a good selection: 49 av Bosquet, 75007

The Grande Epicerie is the deluxe supermarket that is attached to the Bon Marché: 38 rue de Sèvres, 75007 (www.lagrandeepicerie.fr)

Make sure to order a turkey from a local butcher ahead of time. If you ask, they can cook it for you, either using your recipe or their own. They can also provide stuffing.

The only thing I ever had trouble finding were ground cloves (for pumpkin pie) but that problem was easily solved by grinding whole cloves in a blender or mashing them with a hammer.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Marshmellows and cranbery sauce in a can. And Velveeta and Rotel if you want queso.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:04 am
iff

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Marshmellows and cranbery sauce in a can. And Velveeta and Rotel if you want queso.
You can get marshmallows in Paris. Don't the ex-pat grocery stores usually have cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving?

If I recall correctly, you can't bring any milk or milk products into France so the Velveeta would be seized by Customs if they found it.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iff
If I recall correctly, you can't bring any milk or milk products into France so the Velveeta would be seized by Customs if they found it.
is velveeta a milk product?

late november is the height of game season in france. have a thanksgiving goose or pheasant or grouse.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:55 am

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Originally Posted by slawecki
Excellent question...
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Depends on the definition of dry milk or anhydrous milkfat ?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 1:55 pm
iff

Well, I was thinking as I wrote my previous post that on moral grounds alone the French probably wouldn't want to let Velveeta past their borders...

If you use cream of tartar for anything, it's probably easier and cheaper to throw a small container in your luggage than to buy it there in the specialty ex-pat shops. Some people prefer American baking powder, too, versus the French levure chimique (double-acting versus single-acting). Baking soda (bicarbonate de sodium or bicarbonate de soude) is now available in many supermarkets and also at the pharmacy.

Last edited by iff; Jun 29, 2009 at 2:09 pm
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by midatl
You should be able to find nearly everything you need in the American specialty shops in Paris and/or the Grande Epicerie. (Though things will be more expensive )
Yea, i figure anything non perishable, like canned goods, i can stuff in my checked bag, save a few bucks.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:13 pm
iff

Originally Posted by nebratu
Yea, i figure anything non perishable, like canned goods, i can stuff in my checked bag, save a few bucks.
If you have the room, this is a good idea because the markups on these products are usually pretty hefty, and if you prefer a specific brand of something the stores there may not have it.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 3:12 pm

My American friends in Alsace have found some problems in getting good Cranberries and also Pumpkin Pie filling if that helps. Marshmallows are often sold under that name, but the French name for Marshmallows is GUIMAUVE. Hope this helps .... and generally in France, turkeys are not reared to anything near the size Brits and Americans are used to for their traditional feast days ............
Old Jun 29, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by iff
You can get marshmallows in Paris. Don't the ex-pat grocery stores usually have cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving?

I don't recall if I've had my bag checked when carrying Velveeta, but they didn't bat an eye at my Wolf Brand Chili or Pace Picante Sauce.

((and no, still not certain if Velveeta is a milk product))
Old Jun 29, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I had to laugh at this one.

What to bring? Start with the turkey and work your way down

Well, I guess that Butterball may have issues making it past customs, but otherwise bring about anything you want (I have flown PHL-ORD with the butterball in the carryon before). Yes, many thing can be found in Paris, IF you have the time and IF you want to spend the money.

If you are planning on Thanksgiving with other Americans in Paris, ask them what they want. I have seen requests ranging from Grape Jelly, Doritos (now fairly widely available) to speciality local or regional foods.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nebratu
Is Velveeta perishable? I realize that anyone who eats Velveeta in France would be eminently perishable.

Here's a thought - try for a Thanksgiving that uses local produce - isn't that the concept of Thanksgiving? I am of the impression that good quality food items can be obtained in France. Goose, Duck, or Chicken (or ham) might be much more common than Turkey, but certainly, a very Thanksgiving-like feast could be made using locally available food products in France.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:33 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You could also try online shopping (depending on where you're staying) for the more obscure items (that you don't need market/butcher quality for) - it'll be cheaper, and save you trekking all over Paris.

For example, http://www.houra.fr/ - sells things like cloves (clous de girofle) and lingonberry sauce (sauce aux airelles - much more common than cranberries in most of Europe), etc, etc. You can check what's available before you go. You're unlikely to see seasonal produce such as pumpkins (citrouille) on there just yet, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.