Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

What are some large bookstores in Paris that have American books at decent pricing?

What are some large bookstores in Paris that have American books at decent pricing?

Old Jun 17, 09, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

Folks, I am looking for some large bookstores in Paris that have American books at decent pricing. Particularly, I need to buy test prep references. If anyone could drop some info, that would be appreciated.
Old Jun 17, 09, 5:08 pm

W.H. Smith is the largest I know. It is on Rue de Rivoli close to Place de la Concorde. Good prices on this kind of material might be too much to ask for, though.

Till
Old Jun 17, 09, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Just to add from the Website: "The largest selection of English books in France with more than 70 000 references available...plus a wide range of international magazines, DVDs, English greetings cards, notebooks, games, etc."

http://www.whsmith.fr/indexE.htm
Old Jun 17, 09, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by tfar View Post
W.H. Smith is the largest I know. It is on Rue de Rivoli close to Place de la Concorde. Good prices on this kind of material might be too much to ask for, though.

Till
I've noticed on different occasions that the W.H. Smith bookstore on rue de Rivoli has NYT bestselling books in paperback when they're only available in hardcover in the states. Those particular books have been published in England. The ISDN numbers are different than the US hardcover books with the same title.

Bobette
Old Jun 17, 09, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Brentano's (37 av de l'Opera) has a decent test prep section in the basement, right next to the children's section.

What's nice is that Brentano's, WH Smith, and Galigagni are all roughly in the same neighborhood, making it easy to find what you need.

The Fnac occasionally offers good prices on books in English but I don't know if they carry American test prep material.
Old Jun 18, 09, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
The Red Wheel Barrow on Rue Saint Paul.

http://www.theredwheelbarrow.com/home.html
Old Jun 18, 09, 11:17 pm

<<Brentano's (37 av de l'Opera) has a decent test prep section in the basement, right next to the children's section.>>

Unfortunately, Brentano's has closed down as of June 15.
Old Jun 19, 09, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by midatl View Post
Brentano's (37 av de l'Opera) has a decent test prep section in the basement, right next to the children's section.

What's nice is that Brentano's, WH Smith, and Galigagni are all roughly in the same neighborhood, making it easy to find what you need.

The Fnac occasionally offers good prices on books in English but I don't know if they carry American test prep material.
Good chance that FNAC at Les Halles will have them. If not, I'm sure they could order them for you. They are very responsive in that regard. I would only check at the Les Halles location.
Old Jun 22, 09, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks to all of you for the helpful comments. It turned out that W. H. Smith is the only one to have reasonably comprehensive test prep references among the bookstores mentioned here; W. H. Smith, Galignani, Brentano's (closed), The Red Wheel Barrow, and Fnac at Les Halles. W. H. Smith was selling those books for significantly higher prices than the recommended prices printed on the books. Store's numerical price in euro was higher than the recommended numerical price in dollar.
Old Jun 22, 09, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by N227UA View Post
Thanks to all of you for the helpful comments. It turned out that W. H. Smith is the only one to have reasonably comprehensive test prep references among the bookstores mentioned here; W. H. Smith, Galignani, Brentano's (closed), The Red Wheel Barrow, and Fnac at Les Halles. W. H. Smith was selling those books for significantly higher prices than the recommended prices printed on the books. Store's numerical price in euro was higher than the recommended numerical price in dollar.
Exactly what I suspected.
Old Jun 24, 09, 5:24 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Shakespeare & Co. 37, Rue Būcherie
Old Jun 24, 09, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by b1513 View Post
I've noticed on different occasions that the W.H. Smith bookstore on rue de Rivoli has NYT bestselling books in paperback when they're only available in hardcover in the states. Those particular books have been published in England. The ISDN numbers are different than the US hardcover books with the same title.

Bobette
I prefer not to buy British versions of American novels. I wish they would just treat the text like an opera libretto.

It throws off my reading when the publisher has "Britishized" the text into things like, "He robbed £1000 from the petrol station in Brooklyn according to Crown Prosecutor The Honourable Trevor Tate-Lyle."
Old Jun 24, 09, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
I prefer not to buy British versions of American novels. I wish they would just treat the text like an opera libretto.

It throws off my reading when the publisher has "Britishized" the text into things like, "He robbed £1000 from the petrol station in Brooklyn according to Crown Prosecutor The Honourable Trevor Tate-Lyle."
They do that? That's horrible!

Was that "Last Exit Brooklyn"?

Till
Old Jun 24, 09, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
They do that? That's horrible!

Was that "Last Exit Brooklyn"?

Till
No, I made up the line, but it's typical of what is done.

Tate and Lyle is a British sugar company.
Old Jun 25, 09, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
American books are notoriously expensive in Europe. Even with the shipping cost, it might be less expensive to buy them from Amazon and pay the freight.

Search this Thread