Wiki Posts
Search

TGV Montbard to CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
TGV Montbard to CDG

Wondering how reliable the schedule/service is for the non-stop morning train from Montbard to CDG? please forgive the seemingly simple question...just wondering whether there are any unique or surprising service, timing, station issues? thank you.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: Many
AFAIK there is no direct TGV service from Montbard to CDG TGV station. You should - take a direct regular train from Montbard to Paris then take suburban train (RER) to CDG.

Indeed, there is also not direct service from Dijon (which is close to Montbard) to CDG.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:37 am
iff

Originally Posted by bodory
AFAIK there is no direct TGV service from Montbard to CDG TGV station.
According to the SNCF site it looks like there is direct service between Montbard and CDG 2 TGV.

I don't know about that particular route, but barring any strikes or mechanical problems, the TGVs seem to be pretty good about staying on schedule.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

thank you. I had seen both the Montbard-CDG and Dijon-CDG non-stop service on the SNFC site. It's only one train from each in the morning, but presumed that part of it was correct. I appreciate the input
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I've taken the early morning CDG, termninal 2, train a couple of times recently from Dijon. It was right on schedule once and about 5 minutes late the other time. Both stopped in Montbard.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

thank you, donlind, that's very helpful.

I've taken the afternoon Beuane-Dijon-Gare/Lyon train in the past and it's been 10 minutes or so late. but have not paid that much attention and didn't have a time-crunch on on the end either...it was no big deal. this time, I'm trying to make a 10:20 am CDG TATL departure. i should be fine. appreciate your help.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:06 am

Programs: Many
My mistake : there is indeed a direct TGV service between CDG and Montbard in the evening : http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/traininfo...urneyEndIdx=3&

and a morning service between Montbard and CDG : http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/traininfo...urneyEndIdx=5&

jacknyoc, sorry for the misleading information.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:37 am
Original Poster

not a problem...thank you very much for the follow up and the links. you were very kind to clarify.

Originally Posted by bodory
My mistake : there is indeed a direct TGV service between CDG and Montbard in the evening : http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/traininfo...urneyEndIdx=3&

and a morning service between Montbard and CDG : http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/traininfo...urneyEndIdx=5&

jacknyoc, sorry for the misleading information.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Here are details for a hypothetical trip on June 24 as posted on the German Rail site, which I've found to be reliable. One stop, no train changes and enough time for a 10:20 am departure.

Montbard
We, 24.06.09
dep 07:07

Aeroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle
arr 08:20

TGV 5152
TGV 5153 TGV
Subject to compulsory reservation

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA
TGVs usually stay on schedule but can accrue delays, especially on high travel days. If you are traveling this summer, the days to watch out for (ie, build extra time into your schedule for) are June 30, July 15, and Aug. 1, as well as the weekends closest to those dates. CDG will be particularly crowded on those days as well, so giving yourself extra time is a good idea.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

donlind, thank you, that's the info. I have as well. I appreciate your help

midatl, thank you for that insight. curious about those specific busy CDG dates...are they due to the beginning of holidays, post-Bastille Day, etc? we're not travelling on those dates, but just curious. thank you
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Yes, those bad travel dates are due to holidays. While the French no longer take their fabled one month holiday in August, many do take two weeks in July or August. This leads to particularly congested travel (roads, trains, planes) on the 15th and 1st of these months, as people come and go from their vacation rentals. To make it worse, Aug. 1 and 15 are national holidays, as of course is July 14. Everyone goes back to work and school at the start of September (the "rentree".)

I remember taking a train from Paris-Gare de Lyon on July 15 a few years ago and it was so crowded that once I made it to the top of the escalator, there was literally nowhere for me to go. People were packed into the station and it seemed like every other train was delayed.

CDG also gets crowded in the summer -- between the French leaving for their vacations and the rest of the world coming to visit -- and it's not unusual to see the army patrolling. The overcrowding always seems worse in terminal 1.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, just let me know!

I'm glad for your sake that you're not traveling on those dates. I think you'll find the whole experience a whole lot more pleasant
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

agree...thanks for the info. we were in Paris last year on 7/14...and purposely delayed flying out until 7/16, thinking we'd have problems on 7/15. it was a good move...there seemed to be a lot of tired-out revelers wandering and driving around the next day : )...including us. we also try to avoid flying from here on 7/3 or adjacent weekend...so it's not just a Europe or France thing.

as much as we can, we try to get in and out before the heavy summer vacation season begins. a few years ago we were in London the first week of August...very hot...and VERY crowded. we've gotten better since then.

anyway, thank you. bon soir...

Originally Posted by midatl
Yes, those bad travel dates are due to holidays. While the French no longer take their fabled one month holiday in August, many do take two weeks in July or August. This leads to particularly congested travel (roads, trains, planes) on the 15th and 1st of these months, as people come and go from their vacation rentals. To make it worse, Aug. 1 and 15 are national holidays, as of course is July 14. Everyone goes back to work and school at the start of September (the "rentree".)

I remember taking a train from Paris-Gare de Lyon on July 15 a few years ago and it was so crowded that once I made it to the top of the escalator, there was literally nowhere for me to go. People were packed into the station and it seemed like every other train was delayed.

CDG also gets crowded in the summer -- between the French leaving for their vacations and the rest of the world coming to visit -- and it's not unusual to see the army patrolling. The overcrowding always seems worse in terminal 1.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, just let me know!

I'm glad for your sake that you're not traveling on those dates. I think you'll find the whole experience a whole lot more pleasant
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: none
Station/Stop Date Arr. Dep. Platform Products Comments
Montbard 12.06.09 07:07 TGV 5152
TGV
Subject to compulsory reservation, Subject to supplement, Global price, Bar coach, space for wheelchairs
Aeroport Paris CDG 08:20

from this site
http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...74844&OK#focus
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

thank you very much

Originally Posted by kanopemainer
Station/Stop Date Arr. Dep. Platform Products Comments
Montbard 12.06.09 07:07 TGV 5152
TGV
Subject to compulsory reservation, Subject to supplement, Global price, Bar coach, space for wheelchairs
Aeroport Paris CDG 08:20

from this site
http://plannerint.b-rail.be/bin/quer...74844&OK#focus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.