Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Best place - Nice or Monte Carlo in October

Old Apr 23, 09, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,SPG

Have a conference and want to go to a seaside resort the second week of October (therefore dates are not flex, I know it's not exactly warm...)
Preference for 20-40 year old crowd, places to walk and things to see during the day, 4-5 star hotels for 3 nights. Next stop is BCN if that makes a difference in travel. Been to the resorts in Spain so would prefer France/Monaco.
Thanks
Old Apr 23, 09, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
There is good train service all across from Perpignan to Menton, so you actually have lots of good choices. Menton is right on the Italian border (10 minute train ride to have lunch in Italy), and Perpignan close to the Spanish border.

Menton is sort of an enclave of vacationing and retired Brits since it is known to have the warmest weather in winter along that border. They actually hold a Lemon Festival in February (I'm from MN so am easily amazed at such things.)

More westerly are many of the areas the Impressionists painted, lived in, drank in, etc.. There are actually outdoor encased prints of some of the paintings, set so you can view the scenes at which they looked while painting. Amazing.

Grasse is a bit off the coast, but worth a day trip if you are at all interested in perfume.

And of course there is Cannes with the film festival.

Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; May 3, 09 at 2:21 pm
Old Apr 23, 09, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Promenade des Anglais

Promenade des Anglais in Nice is a great place for walking. Old Nice is just a block off the Promenade , with Markets and cafes. Nice is a wonderful city for walking. Yes the trains are great for getting to other towns.

Monte Carlo has more hills. But, pretty people. And higher prices.
Old Apr 23, 09, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nice is great. many fine restaurants. fairly reasonable prices. i think the beach is of pebbles(gravel).

Cannes is wonderful. if it is not film festival, it is a great place to visit. by oct, it should be fairly quiet. they truck in sand to make a sand beach. it is somewhat more expensive than nice.
Old Apr 24, 09, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another option is Juan les Pins, between Nice andCannes (closer to the latter, and adjacent to Antibes):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan-les-Pins

http://www.antibesjuanlespins.com/ac...~25~lang~2.htm
Old Apr 24, 09, 6:58 pm

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
I am definitely not a big fan of Monaco

Nice is a charming town, at the same time a regional metrople and a elegant provencal city

You cannot miss Eze (less than 10 km from Monaco) and St.-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (less than 15 km). Do not miss the superb Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild
Old May 3, 09, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,SPG
thanks everyone. The decision is to add an extra day in Nice and use it as a base to explore all the suggestions given. If anyone has anything to add please PM me....
Old May 3, 09, 10:49 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Yes Yes Yes

Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
I am definitely not a big fan of Monaco

Nice is a charming town, at the same time a regional metrople and a elegant provencal city

You cannot miss Eze (less than 10 km from Monaco) and St.-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (less than 15 km). [/url]
Monaco is worth a day trip by easy train ride just to see but Nice is

a much better choice

The entire Cote D'Azur is served by frequent trains with great views

Ventmiglia just over the Italian border is a fun stop

Search this Thread