10 days in Paris

Old Feb 21, 09, 8:22 am
Original Poster

10 days in Paris

Is it worth taking a quick trip further south or even Italy during my time there? Money is tight, but I could probably score a PREM train fare if I look hard enough. Thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 09, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I presume you have not been to paris before. 10 days is not enough time to do all of paris.

catacombs
sewers
Versailles
2 or 3 days at small museums
flea market
Eiffel tower
walk the islands, from one end to the other.

open top bus day.

pretty much covers a week.
Old Feb 22, 09, 9:56 am

Programs: DL GM
We spent 10 days in Paris a couple of years ago, and while it is true you could spend weeks there just hitting the high points, we opted to go to Bordeaux for 2.5 days and really enjoyed getting out of Paris, seeing a bit of the countryside, and taking it a little slower in Bordeaux. Paris is not France any more than New York is America of course. I would encourage an out of Paris trip for a couple of days.
Old Feb 22, 09, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Agree with slawecki, there is more than enough to do in and around Paris for 10 days. I recommend mygenieinparis.com, a great service we found on our last visit. http://mygenieinparis.com/en/index.html

In addition to the obvious popular sights, MGiP can arrange private or small group excursions to match your interests. Private tours (of the Louvre, Eiffel), fromagerie/wine tasting, gourmet market tours, cooking classes, days trips to Reims, Normandy, Burgundy, ballet or opera tickets.
Old Feb 22, 09, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
I presume you have not been to paris before. 10 days is not enough time to do all of paris.

catacombs
sewers
Versailles
flea market
Eiffel tower

open top bus day.

You forgot to mention testing cafe chairs......this one's too hard, this one's too soft, etc.

Bobette
Old Feb 22, 09, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post

catacombs
sewers
Versailles
flea market
Eiffel tower

open top bus day.

Sorry, I should have said I've been to Paris 3 times, so a lot of this stuff I've seen. I'd like to do more off the beaten path stuff this time.
Old Feb 22, 09, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Agree with slawecki, there is more than enough to do in and around Paris for 10 days. I recommend mygenieinparis.com, a great service we found on our last visit. http://mygenieinparis.com/en/index.html

In addition to the obvious popular sights, MGiP can arrange private or small group excursions to match your interests. Private tours (of the Louvre, Eiffel), fromagerie/wine tasting, gourmet market tours, cooking classes, days trips to Reims, Normandy, Burgundy, ballet or opera tickets.
These are great suggestions. I may try a day trip to Giverny or even the ballet.
Old Feb 22, 09, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513 View Post
You forgot to mention testing cafe chairs......this one's too hard, this one's too soft, etc.

Bobette
I love cafe culture. I can't wait to sit at a cafe on St Germain des Pres.
Old Feb 22, 09, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by burberrybrit View Post
These are great suggestions. I may try a day trip to Giverny or even the ballet.
I'm not sure when you are going but this new exhibit looks great. You might want to then continue on to Rouen for dinner before you head back to Paris.

Bobette
Old Feb 22, 09, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Cafe life is good to sample, as is good old bar life. Harry's New York Bar, while cheesy, has its fair share of regulars and quaintness and has been a reliable way for me to spend a few hours on the last few trips to Paris that I've made.
Old Feb 22, 09, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
I love cafe culture. I can't wait to sit at a cafe on St Germain des Pres.
my fav: Les Deux Magot

great way to recover from an overnight flight, sitting outside sipping cafe au lait observing the pedestrian traffic
Old Mar 3, 09, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzguy80 View Post
my fav: Les Deux Magot

great way to recover from an overnight flight, sitting outside sipping cafe au lait observing the pedestrian traffic
I love Les Deux. I have fond memories of savoring a cafe creme while engaging with a British couple next to me and watching Paris go by. Ah, the simple life.
Old Mar 4, 09, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat/Hyatt Plat/DL/AmexPlat/CO
Don't forget Willi's Wine Bar (13 Rue des Petits Champs) - a great wine bar and small restaurant. We visit there every time we hit Paris.
Old Mar 4, 09, 9:32 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I love Les Deux. I have fond memories of savoring a cafe creme while engaging with a British couple next to me and watching Paris go by. Ah, the simple life.
The first time we went there someone at a nearby table ordered the most amazing looking omelette. We keep threatening to go back to have an omelette, but usually end up just having a drink and taking it all in. There's a great bookstore a couple of doors down. We usually check out a few a bookstores while we're there.

Across the intersection and down a bit, there's a Monoprix across the street from Cartier. That Monoprix is a good place to pick up the ingredients necessary for a decent picnic over in Luxembourg Gardens, which is a nice place to have lunch, do some reading, or just enjoy the park and the people. I've seen some pretty competetive chess matches and friendly games of petanque. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

We keep meaning to get to Willi's, but haven't. We'll be there in a few months. I'll put it on the list.
Old Mar 14, 09, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie View Post
The first time we went there someone at a nearby table ordered the most amazing looking omelette. We keep threatening to go back to have an omelette, but usually end up just having a drink and taking it all in. There's a great bookstore a couple of doors down. We usually check out a few a bookstores while we're there.

Across the intersection and down a bit, there's a Monoprix across the street from Cartier. That Monoprix is a good place to pick up the ingredients necessary for a decent picnic over in Luxembourg Gardens, which is a nice place to have lunch, do some reading, or just enjoy the park and the people. I've seen some pretty competetive chess matches and friendly games of petanque. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon.

We keep meaning to get to Willi's, but haven't. We'll be there in a few months. I'll put it on the list.
That's exactly what I do! Grab a sandwich or baguette, some Orangina, some fruit, etc and sit in those green chairs in the Jardin de Luxenbourg. Paris. . .

Search this Thread