Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

In Paris For The Presidential Inauguration

Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

So, it turns out that I'm going to be in Paris (on business) on January 20th, the day of the Presidential inauguration. I would love the opportunity to see it live in a setting among the Parisians, where they'll also be watching. It will be at 6:00 PM Paris time.

So essentially, I'm looking for the French equivalent of a sports bar, but without the sports and with the inauguration. Not at all necessary that the place be filled with Americans, and would likely be more in some ways more fun if it weren't. Of course it doesn't have to be a bar, either, but it wouldn't hurt.

I'm staying in St. Germain. Would be nice not to have to travel across the city, but for the right place, who knows?

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
This might be a tough one, especially for a place to mingle with the French as televised events just don't seem to be a priority to them. That said, your best bets, particularly in that part of town, are probably The Moose (16, Rue des Quatre-Vents, 75006, 01 46 33 77 00‎) and The Frog and Princess (9, Rue Princesse, 75006, 01 40 51 77 38‎). Both of these places are frequented by expats, particularly The Moose as they broadcast numerous soccer, American football, and hockey games.

Edited to add: Joe Allen (30, Rue Pierre Lescot, 75001 - 01 42 36 70 13)‎ may be another place to call to see if they are planning anything.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
This might be a tough one, especially for a place to mingle with the French as televised events just don't seem to be a priority to them. .
You will be surprised this time

I am pretty sure Harry's Bar will have something going

This one may come in handy also > Not a bar but:
Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States soon. At the Library we'll be marking this historic moment with a special book display, a live broadcast of the inaugural address, and an evening discussion focused on the promise of change on the international stage.

Last edited by dodo; Jan 12, 2009 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by owenzelig
I'm staying in St. Germain. Would be nice not to have to travel across the city, but for the right place, who knows?
This thread in Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...de_France.html

is recommending Harry's bar.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by dodo
You will be surprised this time
Perhaps. Then again, I'd guess that both Harry's (an excellent suggestion btw) and the American Library both will be expat-centric events. Having been an American expat there myself (2002-2005) on the other side of the political line, I can guarantee that the majority of American expats in Paris will be quite excited and ready for the party on the 20th.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Perhaps. Then again, I'd guess that both Harry's (an excellent suggestion btw) and the American Library both will be expat-centric events. Having been an American expat there myself (2002-2005) on the other side of the political line, I can guarantee that the majority of American expats in Paris will be quite excited and ready for the party on the 20th.
I have found that there are so manyFrench citizens , young/old , from cities to the "boulangčre du petit village" are interested in Obama, let alone the media. I know of one former journalist who is currently living in DC whose kids have made a special trip to visit during this period. People are excited
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On election eve I was curious to see how "le Monde" was covering the US election (on their web site)--and was surprised to find that they had better and more accurate vote counts than many of the us networks. They had devoted their entire coverage to the us election. Based on this, you might find extensive coverage of the inauguration everywhere in Paris.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:49 am
iff

Just got an email stating that Carr's Irish Restaurant and Bar will be showing it, with coverage beginning at 4:30 p.m. (inauguration ceremony starts at 5:30 p.m.).

Carr's Irish Restaurant and Bar
1 rue du Mont Thabor
75001 Paris
http://www.carrsparis.com

There will also be an event at The Highlander:

The Highlander
8 rue de Nevers
75006 Paris
Metro: Pont-Neuf/Odéon
http://www.the-highlander.fr/
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by milepig
This thread in Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...de_France.html

is recommending Harry's bar.
I agree with the suggestion of Harry's but the TripAdvisor thread is a flame war.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I agree with the suggestion of Harry's but the TripAdvisor thread is a flame war.
Oh my, it was civil when I posted the link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.