Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Money Orders from La Poste

Old Jan 2, 09, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P

Booking a gte where I have stayed before, I've discovered that the new owners require a deposit but do not accept credit cards. Neither are they interested in PayPal or in divulging their account details for a wire transfer. Before I decide between spending $35 and half a day at my bank obtaining a draft in euros, or sending cash via registered mail, it occurs to me that La Poste must issue money orders that would be acceptable.

I will be in French Guiana soon, briefly but with enough time for La Poste. Could someone confirm that La Poste money orders exist, and if so--are they requested with any special phrase or terminology, and is the procedure for obtaining them relatively uncomplicated?

Many thanks.
Old Jan 2, 09, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I can confirm. go to the post in guyana and then send the money order to the person here in france who can claim the money within 3 month at any french post office. very efficient service, I used it recently when I got an ebay payment from someone in guyana. its called mandat cash.
Old Jan 4, 09, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Do you have a link to this option? I need to remit a French check but can't find anything about this option on the laposte website. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 09, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
not sure you'll be lucky with a check since this is a cash transfer.

https://www.labanquepostale.fr/index..._d_argent.html
Old Jan 12, 09, 7:59 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
I've ordered coins from Monnaie de Paris, and once had to pay a hospital bill after I departed France. They accepted a US personal check (with a slight amount extra, to cover conversions to Euros.) In most instances the check cleared as quickly as a local check.
This may also work: Purchase a 50 Euro travelers check, and in the "pay to" line, place the name of the payee, and send it by "regular" mail--I've used this with Swiss Franc TC's with success--assuming the payee is not a crook.

Search this Thread