Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Questioned by French police in CDG

Old Dec 24, 08, 5:23 am
Original Poster

I'm an American woman who travelled to Paris via AA and AF/Easyjet. After getting through immigration with no problem, I walked through a couple of terminals to get to the RER train to Paris. I also was supposed to meet my husband there as he was flying in on a Swiss flight. I waited on the line, got my train tickets and when I exited that train ticket room I was approached by two plain clothed French police, one male one female. They asked me in French if I spoke French to whick I said, in french "a little bit, do you speak English" They did and then they took our their badges, asked for my passport and asked me where I was coming from, why am I there, when am I leaving, etc. Then they left and walked out of that area. Routine?
Old Dec 24, 08, 5:25 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by dontbeajong View Post
I'm an American woman who travelled to Paris via AA and AF/Easyjet. After getting through immigration with no problem, I walked through a couple of terminals to get to the RER train to Paris. I also was supposed to meet my husband there as he was flying in on a Swiss flight. I waited on the line, got my train tickets and when I exited that train ticket room I was approached by two plain clothed French police, one male one female. They asked me in French if I spoke French to whick I said, in french "a little bit, do you speak English" They did and then they took our their badges, asked for my passport and asked me where I was coming from, why am I there, when am I leaving, etc. Then they left and walked out of that area. Routine?
Definitely.

And welcome to FlyerTalk dontbeajong ,

I am going to move this discussion to the France forum, which is more appropriate to the
issue you have raised and where you should find other contributions by posters.

With best regards,

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 24, 08, 5:26 am
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Do you think they were for real or a couple of scammers trying to figure out if they could rip you off?
Old Dec 24, 08, 7:58 am
Original Poster

definitely not, I looked carefully at their picture ids, etc

Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
Do you think they were for real or a couple of scammers trying to figure out if they could rip you off?
Old Dec 24, 08, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
That would have unnerved me - in Paris or anywhere else, for that matter.

I wouldn't have a clue if the badge was real or not. Ugh, I hope it never happens to me. I guess I would be a bit less nervous if they were only asking to see my passport and not asking to take/open my bags.
Old Dec 26, 08, 10:19 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You say the badge was real. Unless you have seen many of those, how do you know it was real. I am not sure what I would do. I have been stopped by uniformed police, usually in teams and in public which is OK. That is more common in Europe than in the US.
I think if I am in your case, I would ask to see a uniformed policewo/man and then answer all their questions. I have nothing to hide but don't want to be scammed.
I am glad to hear everything went well.
By the way, welcome to FT.
Old Dec 26, 08, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I think, I once was questioned by US police on arrival in an international airport and nothing wrong with that ...

and on arrival in CDG, this doesn't surprise me. this is part of the Schengen agreements. Police has the right to do ID checks whenever and wherever they want. I cross border almost every day and random checks happen from time to time ...

Search this Thread