Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

13 year old daughter's trip to Paris...HELP!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Help! I'm taking my 13 year old daughter to Paris this coming April. Looking for help with accomodations. Looking for a hotel (ideally with kitchenette) close to a metro line. A few questions...

- What areas of Paris should we AVOID (staying in)?

- Flying into CDG with luggage (obviously). Any suggestions for getting to our hotel? Is the metro decent to travel on with luggage?

- What line is the easiest shot to the CDG?

- Hotels?

Any help is appreciated!
Steve

- Sorry for my stupid questions - small town Canadian boy headed for the big city...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:14 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Welcome to flyertalk steveandmichael. I'm pretty sure someone can answer your questions. Even it takes a day or two.

About getting into town from the airport. I think there is a bus going from the airport into the city.

Anyway you might find some of your answers in the France Forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-467/

I will contact the moderator to move you post in the right forum.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Many Thanks

Thanks for the encouraging word!
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: FB,BA,M&M,Privilege
Hi,

Roughly in order:

- Avoid the area around Pigalle which is just below Montmartre. More akin to a red light district and noisy at night so might not suit a 13 year old.
try looking at the Marais area of Paris which has life, is not over touristy, and is walking distance to a lot of downtown sights.

- Not sure which Terminal you arrive at in CDG so in no particular order:

Terminal 1 (nasty round terminal). There is a direct bus link to the centre of Paris with no stops after the airport until inside the city. Nice safe and relatively cheap option with no luggage handling. Time to centre varies according to traffic on the freeway. Check with the information desk ref tickets. You will also have to allow for the journey once dropped off in Paris to get to where you will be staying. Also on offer is a driverless train shuttle to the airport RER station that then provides an underground train link to the centre - not the greatest journey and watch your luggage in transit. Taxis are also an option but will be expensive allow at least €50 Euros one way. All in all I would take the bus from T1 but allow plenty of time. At least you'll get a flavour for the city as you drive in.

Terminal 2:

Bus option exists here as well. Also in Terminal 2 is the mainline rail station which offers frequent and fast services 'overground' to the main Gare Du Nord rail terminal in central Paris. This is a great option. RER exists but is slower. Taxi is just as expensive. I'd recommend the main train option and then transfer at the Gare Du Nord to the Metro or take a cab.

- Accommodation - Can be tricky to find if there is a commercial Expo on in Paris and most rooms will be expensive and disappointingly small by North American standards. Noise levels will vary wildly according to location or the age of the Hotel. Kitchenettes are not a normal hotel feature. Try looking at the following budget chain, simple rooms, air conditioned, cleanYes I have stayed there on more than one occasion)

http://www.hotelsjardinsdeparis.com/...e/en/hotel.asp

or if you are staying for a longer period try looking for a small appartment. Costs and quality vary but one site you could try to get a feel for location and costs is:

http://www.cheznous.com/avail_result...4&searchType=2

The site covers the whole of France but there are usually appartments in Paris on the above listing. Costs vary but payment is direct to the owners so there are no agency fees. I have used the site before and it worked really well.

Hope that you have a great time. Paris can be as beautiful as they say in the springtime
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:51 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, steveandmichael and newgroundhogbrit. A newcomer helping a newcomer - that's awesome.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:53 pm

Programs: FB,BA,M&M,Privilege
I have to admit to being a 'returnee' rather than totally new - enjoyed it last time and glad to be gack for more :D
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
welcome to flyertalk, steveandmichael

for your convenience, I'll move this thread into the France forum.

regards

chrissxb,
europe forum
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

You guys are awesome.

Thanks folks - great advice. A big help indeed.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: SW, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents
you will have a great trip

Paris is such a great place to visit. I have been a couple times - my daughter is going over for the spring semester and my wife and I are going to visit her the first week in May.

My thoughts: I highly recommend renting an apartment. It is cost effective and immerses you in the city more than a hotel. We have twice rented the following apartment and can vouch for it http://www.beau-paris.com/apartment-...2_english.html, but there are many others as well.

For a first visit, I would recommend shuttle van service from the airport, which will take you direct to the door of wherever you are staying. You can book it and pay for it ahead of time, so no need to figure out ticket purchase or RER or metro transfers while in a jet-lagged fog. Price is more than the train but cheaper than a taxi. Do a google search on "paris airport shuttle" and you will see several companies.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
I just tried out the Air France coaches that run between CDG, Orly, and various places around Paris. If you're planning on staying in Mariais, for instance, you could catch #4 and get off at the first stop, Gare de Lyon. Cost is 22e round trip (per person), or 14e one-way.

Enjoy Paris with your daughter. I hope to take mine there again (her French is better than mine!).
Old Dec 19, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've traveled quite a bit with younger grandkids, and have learned things as I go.

Safety first. Obviously, don't scare the kid, but work things out. At all times she/he has enough resources ($, maps, addresses, phone numbers, plans, knowledge, etc.) to get her/him back to a safe place if you two become separated. I like the neck wallets under the clothes. The agreement we usually have is a very obvious meeting place, but the kid waits first maybe 10 minutes right where they are so I can find them. And if the meeting place doesn't work out, plan C tends to be cab back to the hotel, after asking a policeman or perhaps hotel to get them a cab. The details vary by where we are and what we are doing, but there ALWAYS is a plan. I've only lost one and that was just briefly, but still plenty scary enough.

I usually have a short set of rules I have them agree to before we sign up for the trip. The last one - often seems it is Rule 7 - is that sometimes the situation is too complicated or there isn't time to explain but for the moment, they just have to do as asked without any argument. This was created for a granddaughter that indeed likes to discuss/argue, and is likely to say most anything at any time. It was first invoked for going through airport security - just follow the rules, no chatting, no extraneous comments, etc. I agree to explain later back in the hotel room or someplace where I can.

Then involve them in the process. Have them learn to read airline sign boards for directions, metro routes, maps, foreign language signs, etc. I usually find that with a couple quick lessons, my grandkids understand the metro systems better than I do (and are quicker at it) and end up leading me around toward the end of the stay.

Stay rested, fed, calm, comfortable, etc.

Try to keep the trip on their terms. A McDonald's in France is probably lots more interesting than a museum, and indeed is a cultural understanding experience. But then short periods in museums really don't hurt them, and they get to cater to your selections too.

For the picky eaters, I tend to alternate with a safe meal (McDonalds?) and then a more interesting one, but still making sure there is something on the menu I know they will like. For the REALLY picky and timid eater, we piece through the foreign menu and order two entrees she thinks might be safe. Then she gets to try both and choose the one she likes better. I also do the grocery store thing so they can have some foods they are really used to - bananas, milk, cereal, white bread, etc.

I've learned it is REALLY difficult to get peanut butter in Europe, so have found some little packets of 100g (3.4 ounces) that I can take through security. A couple peanut butter sandwiches can be very comforting.

Have a wonderful time - Romelle

Last edited by Romelle; Dec 19, 2008 at 10:40 am
Old Dec 20, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Romelle
Try to keep the trip on their terms. A McDonald's in France is probably lots more interesting than a museum, and indeed is a cultural understanding experience. But then short periods in museums really don't hurt them, and they get to cater to your selections too.
Instead of McDonald's you should try Quick. It's a Belgian Fast Food Chain. Also keep in mind that Euro-Disney is outside of Paris. Have fun in Paris and don't worry about the food. There are some many chocolatiers, boulangeries (bakeries) and pātisseries (bakeries for sweets) which have tons of things kids love (and adults, too).
Old Dec 20, 2008, 4:42 am
iff

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Instead of McDonald's you should try Quick. It's a Belgian Fast Food Chain.
I have. I realize it's a question of taste, but... Quick = beurk beurk beurk to me, quality-wise. Not that McDo is haute cuisine, but I find it overall better than Quick. YMMV.

To the OP:
Staying in a private apartment is nice because you have more of a sense of belonging than in a hotel. It's nice to not have to go out for breakfast at the very least, even if you eat your other meals out.

Another option would be a serviced apartment, "apartment hotel" or "aparthotel" (a Google search on aparthotel paris brought up more options than I knew existed).

You probably want to stay someplace fairly central (single-digit arrondissements). I tend to favor the Left Bank; others prefer the Right Bank. Some areas of the Marais have a lot of wholesalers (vente en gros), which can be either a curse or a blessing: I find it frustrating because you see interesting things in their windows that you'd like to check out but can't because they won't sell to individuals (vente au détail), but I guess in the end it winds up being a money-saver.

Once you know where you're staying, it will be easier to figure out how to get there from the airport. Here's a brief summary of transport to Paris from CDG: http://www.gadabout.biz/paris/paris-...rt/&Itemid=486 As RDU-Man suggested, a shuttle might be a good option for you.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:52 am

Programs: Air France
Eat where the French eat

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Instead of McDonald's you should try Quick. It's a Belgian Fast Food Chain.

IMHO, and I have French grandchildren - skip McDonalds and Quick.....you can get plenty of that kind of food where you come from.

Paris is awash with small restuarants, where especially at lunch time you can get a really nourishing, tasty and quite cheap 3 course meal. Try a few first - I'm sure you will be pleased and well fed.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13 y.o's are pretty sophisticated these days.

either

A. take the kid to Orlando and go to disney world and eat big macs, or

B. take the kid to PARIS, like in PARIS france.
stay in a small hotel(large B&B) (in the 5th or 6th for first choice) get the petit dejune for breakfast. walk around a lot. go to the tower, go to Printemps and have lunch on the top floor. walk gallery Lafayette. walk from the arch to the louvre. walk the length of the islands. go to the churches and the whatever it's called on the islands. eat lunches in the little places on the islands(do this before or after the workers hit). spend a day at Versailles. go into the vuttion store, the baccarat store/museum. ride one of the open topped tour buses for a day. make a point of figuring out how the metro works, and take it. even if you screw up, all that happens is you end up in the wrong place. it's still paris.

the RER/metro is a tough way to arrive in paris if you are not familiar with it. it is also not extremely luggage friendly. spring for a cab, or if you are close, take the af bus.

take it easy on the major name museums. tfor many, they are very boring, and in summer, they are very crowded.

go to library and take out a bunch of paris and france travel guides.

buy an ACCESS guide to Paris. get out colored pens, and circle all restaurants in red(most important color) circle all sites in green, all ..... in blue, etc. you can skip hotels.

how long you be there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.