Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on long weekend Itinerary in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Advice on long weekend Itinerary in Paris

My wife and I are staying at the Park Hyatt Vendome hotel to celebrate her 40th Birthday. I am hoping some fellow FT'ers can help me with our tenative itinerary.
I have never been to Paris, and it has been nearly 15 years since my wife was there.
We arrive on Thursday (12/18) at CDG around 10a.m. While in Paris, we were hoping to do some light sight seeing on Thursday near the hotel and prior to my wife's massage at the hotel spa at 5pm. Can you reccomend some walkable attractions?
For Thursday night, we would like to eat at Perraudin, 157 rue St-Jacques, 5th Arrondissmement...anyone ever try it? It's supposed to be very casual, but good.

Friday, we are hoping to see most of the main museums and attractions. Is there any museum passes or any tourist passes we should know about? Also are there any of the famous attractions that we should steer clear of?
We would like to see the Moulin Rouge on Friday the 19th. Also on Friday night, we are looking for suggestions for a nice dinner...not too casual, and not too much fine dining.
For the actual night of her birthday (Sat. 12/20), we were thinking of dining at Helene Darrose, 4 rue d'Assas, 6th Arrondissement. If you do not think this is a good choice for a fine dining meal, please tell me what your favorites are and what a typical bill would be for 2 people and a bottle of wine.

We are arriving in to Paris at 10AM and are planning on dropping our bags at the hotel or checking in if our room is available. What is the best means to get to the hotel? I was thinking taxi, but didn't realize how scarce they are...will that be an issue at the airport? I look at car service from the hotel and the cheapest they had was $230Euros! OUCH!
Thanks in advance for all your help, and we are truly looking forward to our stay...and appreciate any and all advice.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Friday, we are hoping to see most of the main museums and attractions.
Please tell me this was not a serious proposal. Do you have any idea how many days (weeks?) it would take to see "most of the main museums and attractions" in Paris?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:37 am
iff

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Friday, we are hoping to see most of the main museums and attractions.
I'm sorry, bsdstone, I admit I got a chuckle out of this as well. Keep in mind there's a LOT to see and do in Paris, and it takes time to get around to see and do all these things. I guess it boils down to what you consider the main museums and attractions that you would like to see. It also depends on how much energy you have and what kind of sightseer you are, whether you prefer to putz around a bit or go-go-go to check items off your list. If you can give us a more specific idea of your interests, you'll probably get better suggestions.

Taxis really aren't that rare, especially from the airport. It'll probably cost something like 50 euros from CDG to your hotel, and if I were you I'd go ahead and take a taxi.

What a nice birthday treat! I hope you both have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by iff
I'm sorry, bsdstone, I admit I got a chuckle out of this as well. Keep in mind there's a LOT to see and do in Paris, and it takes time to get around to see and do all these things. I guess it boils down to what you consider the main museums and attractions that you would like to see. It also depends on how much energy you have and what kind of sightseer you are, whether you prefer to putz around a bit or go-go-go to check items off your list. If you can give us a more specific idea of your interests, you'll probably get better suggestions.

Taxis really aren't that rare, especially from the airport. It'll probably cost something like 50 euros from CDG to your hotel, and if I were you I'd go ahead and take a taxi.

What a nice birthday treat! I hope you both have a wonderful time.
Sorry, now that I read it, it does seem a bit ridiculous!
What I was trying to convey is that we are wanting to do the main tourist attractions during the day on Fri/Sat, and what ones should we try to hit, and what ones should we try to avoid in such a small amount of time.

As far as what type of sight seeing we do...normally, we lit to putz around a bit, but in this case, it is going to be much more of a "check it off the list" routine...hope that helps!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:20 am

How about you list off which attractions seem most appealing to you and we can chime in with some advice on how long they take and which ones are the best. I can tell you what I enjoy the most in Paris but what does it for me may not do it for you. Also, that will give everyone an idea of your tastes. Like do you want museums or churches or gardens and outdoor spaces or the opera or chateaus?

Also, as was said, you'll have no problem getting a taxi at the airport. There will be drivers standing inside asking if you need a taxi or just walk out and look for one. As for getting back to the airport, just have the hotel call a cab for you, it's quite easy to get one. It should be about 50 euros.

My personal favorite is Musee D'Orsay. I'm really into art and architecture so it was quite the treat. I think I was there for three hours or so. Versailles was far too crowded and the weather was not good, it was my least favorite attraction. It's a long trip, too. Well, the train ride isn't that bad but then you factor in the walk to get there and then seeing the house and gardens and it's a full day. I might go back on a future trip but it has to be on a day with better weather and during the week. The Louvre is amazing, of course. Tour Montparnasse is nice because you can see everything, especially the Eifeel Tower. The worst part about going to the top of the Eiffel is that you can't see the beautiful structure you're standing on. It's also cheap and very easy access.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MissJ
As for getting back to the airport, just have the hotel call a cab for you, it's quite easy to get one. It should be about 50 euros.
We took a cab from the hotel (Hilton AdT) to CDG, and it was 34 euros for 3 people. With the luggage charge and tip, it came to 40 euros.

Not bad at all.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The worst part about going to the top of the Eiffel is that you can't see the beautiful structure you're standing on. It's also cheap and very easy access.
Maybe very easy, but also a bit pricy, even if you're willing to walk up to the first level. I think it used to be free.

We tried for 3 days to get up the Tower, but the crowds were such that we gave it up as a bad job. I'm told it was a school break weekend, but still, don't just assume you'll walk up to the tower and get on the elevator.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my first choice for return visit is to walk ile de france. usually not too many people. takes us a whole day.

there is a book somewhere called sort of "small museums of paris" spend a day in the small museums.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:48 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Musee d'Orsay has a large collection of impressionist art and IMHO is a MUST museum to see--it is open late on Thursday nights (the night of your arrival), so you can save that until the evening (assuming jet lag hasn't conked you out). There is a company that runs "hop on off" buses that pass the important sights, so you can get a quick run by for two days. http://www.viator.com/tours/Paris/Pa...f=02&aid=g3254 is their internet address.
Another museum open late nights is the Pompidou Center if you are into avant garde art this is also interesting.
You really can't see too much of Paris in even a month let alone a weekend--so you have to make compromises: two areas to see might be (1)the Latin Quarter, (2) Montmartre.
PS: The major department stores also have Thursday as their late opening night--if shopping is your "cup tea", browsing through the ones in central Paris can also be fun.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Also, as was said, you'll have no problem getting a taxi at the airport. There will be drivers standing inside asking if you need a taxi or just walk out and look for one. As for getting back to the airport, just have the hotel call a cab for you, it's quite easy to get one. It should be about 50 euros.
Do not accept rides from people in the airport terminal asking you if you need a taxi. These are illegal operators. Go outside to the taxi stand and get a legal, licensed cab that way.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by BigLar
Maybe very easy, but also a bit pricy, even if you're willing to walk up to the first level. I think it used to be free.

We tried for 3 days to get up the Tower, but the crowds were such that we gave it up as a bad job. I'm told it was a school break weekend, but still, don't just assume you'll walk up to the tower and get on the elevator.
I was talking about Tour Montparnasse. It's cheap and easy... much more so than the Eiffel. The Eiffel has long lines and as I said, when you're on it, you can't even see it. lol
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Do not accept rides from people in the airport terminal asking you if you need a taxi. These are illegal operators. Go outside to the taxi stand and get a legal, licensed cab that way.
Good to know, I've been approached by them but never used their services. I take the Air France bus for something like 10-15 Euros since it goes straight to Montparnasse where I always stay. I did know that you are only supposed to catch Taxis at designated stands but I didn't know if it was different at the airport. Duh, I should have put two and two together on that one though and known that wasn't quite right. Sorry about that.

Last edited by MissJ; Nov 19, 2008 at 10:16 am
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you plan to "pop" in and out of a bunch of museums, you should get one of those museum passes, even if you have to get a 3 day and use it only two days, or some such.

there is frequently a line at the ticket purchase office, but no line to have your ticket punched and go into the museum.

there was(still is?) a stairway on the side, near the main entrance to the Louvre, in the pyramid. you can enter there with no line.

do not bring stuff that has to be checked. the lines can be very long.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:44 am
iff

I did know that you are only supposed to catch Taxis at designated stands
No, you can hail a taxi anywhere in the street unless it's within 50 meters of a taxi stand, in which case you need to get a taxi there.

Taxi availability is indicated by the white light on top of the cab: if lit, it's available; if turned off, it's already in use.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:10 am

I'm aware of the availability thing, I've had a lot... lot... of experience with cabs in my day. Oh well, I could have sworn my guidebook told me that I had to go to a stand to get a cab. Guess I read that wrong (or it lied to me, lol)

I'm much more of a walker or train taker than a taxi patron. I've only ever taken them (in Paris) from my hotel because of not wanting to carry so much baggage to and on trains or buses.

Anyway, back on topic.

Any more specifics on what you would like to see or do?

One more interesting thing I found about the Louvre was that there were parts that were packed. The Mona Lisa was surrounded by people, of course, but I wandered the whole museum and found empty rooms far from the crowds. I stood alone and stared in the Rembrandt room, in awe. I wondered if some people come to see a few highlights and then skip the rest of the amazing works that fill the vast halls. I *think* I went in every room.. if not.... I tried really hard. It was amazing though. The art, the architecture, even the views out the windows are just stunning and worth the hours and hours of walking. I took about 500 photos if not more and could not have enjoyed myself more. I will definitely return there on my next trip. If you do the quick highlights visit, there will be crowds, noise and it will smell funny but if you like the art that you may not recognize from a postcard, you will be able to truly enjoy it.

Last edited by MissJ; Nov 19, 2008 at 11:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.