FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Is RER safe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/875386-rer-safe.html)

hydargos Oct 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Is RER safe?

hi,
i'm arriving from vce at 22.30 at terminal 2F with my wife and my daughter,

my final destination is west end hotel.

the best waty to go should be RER B from CDG to Chatelet and then the Metro (line 1) to Franklin Delano Rooosvelt station.

the question is:

are The RER and the Metro safe around midnight?

MeVoy Oct 12, 2008 3:11 pm

I can't say if the RER is "safe" or not, but it does pass through some rather sketchy areas on its way into Paris. This might not be a cause for concern during the daytime, but at that time of night, you might find yourself somewhat uncomfortable as people get on and off at these stations on what is probably a 45-minute ride to Chatelet. You might want to check if the Air France coach "Les Cars" is still operating, and consider taking it to Charles deGaulle/L'Etoile (the Arch de Triomphe), at which station you just take the Metro (Line 1, I think) which will be a straight shot - 1 or 2 stops - to Franklin Roosevelt. You could even think of a taxi for that short ride down the Champs Elysees. Incidentally, the Air France coach gives a discount to a party of 4 traveling together. Of course, for 4 people, a taxi directly from the airport could possibly have a competitive price. Just something to consider.

I just noticed that there are actually 3 of you, so please disregard any statements in which I allude to 4 people.

N227UA Oct 12, 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by MeVoy (Post 10509157)
I can't say if the RER is "safe" or not, but it does pass through some rather sketchy areas on its way into Paris. This might not be a cause for concern during the daytime, but at that time of night, you might find yourself somewhat uncomfortable as people get on and off at these stations on what is probably a 45-minute ride to Chatelet. You might want to check if the Air France coach "Les Cars" is still operating, and consider taking it to Charles deGaulle/L'Etoile (the Arch de Triomphe), at which station you just take the Metro (Line 1, I think) which will be a straight shot - 1 or 2 stops - to Franklin Roosevelt. You could even think of a taxi for that short ride down the Champs Elysees. Incidentally, the Air France coach gives a discount to a party of 4 traveling together. Of course, for 4 people, a taxi directly from the airport could possibly have a competitive price. Just something to consider.

I just noticed that there are actually 3 of you, so please disregard any statements in which I allude to 4 people.

How about Roissy shuttle, which is marginally more expensive than RER? BTW, is there a significant safety concern other than pickpockets? Nevertheless, I would avoid RER personally in the night.

USAFAN Oct 12, 2008 4:02 pm

I wish some FlyerTalker from Paris/France could help!

Here is what I think:

-I would not use the RER at night.
-Next, it can be a very long walk to change to the Metro at Chatelet.

asdca Oct 12, 2008 4:07 pm

The last Air France coach of the night for line 2 (CDG -> Etoile)leaves CDG at 23:00, so it might be tight. I assume that means the coach leaves 2A at 23:00, so that might mean an extra 10 minutes. More info (in English) at http://www.cars-airfrance.com/

NickB Oct 12, 2008 4:26 pm

I can't say if the RER is "safe" or not, but it does pass through some rather sketchy areas on its way into Paris.

Some RERs are direct to Gare Du Nord (stopping only at CDG1 en route). Not sure about late at night, however.

Although I would probably take a late night RER myself, I would feel uncomfortable recommending it to somebody else.

It may be worth your while considering staying overnight in a hotel near CDG and go to your final destination the next morning, assuming you do not already have a non-cancellable booking.

dddc Oct 12, 2008 4:38 pm

What day of the week are you arriving and how old is your daughther are two other questions that need answering.

Friday and Saturday nights these areas may be more bustling with activity, so may feel safer.

I've come back from EuroDisney on the last RER train back into Paris and not felt particularly bothered, even with Disney shopping bags that screamed "Tourist - mug me!".

I've also arrived at Gare Du Nord around 11pm on a week night and stayed at a hotel in this area. Just like anywhere, if you see something that you aren't comfortable with, cross the street. However if your daughter is young, you might want to get a taxi to your final destination just for your own peace of mind. I don't think there would be any problem but you have to decide what level of risk you want to take.

BearX220 Oct 12, 2008 4:56 pm

The last three or four stops before you get to Gare du Nord are pretty sketchy. no real worries in daylight, but I wouldn't do the all-stops train late at night.

Skipcool3 Oct 12, 2008 5:20 pm

I would not now use the RER at night. 3 of us, all fit chaps in our thirties, (One of us was Military, one a law enforcement Officer) were targetted by a group of smartly dressed North Africans as we changed trains. This was at about 10pm. I guess they thought that we would be an easy target as tired looking tourists to pick-pocket. One tried a distraction technique of dropping an asthma inhaler whilst another managed to get one of our passports, a wallet and some credit cards. We realised what was going on and it escalated. We managed to pin one to the ground, and it quickly became apparent that there were at least six working together. They were very professional.
The French Police were very helpful and helped us sort the mess out, and it was obvious that they also deployed teams of plain-clothes officers on the RER / metro. Yes, I know, things like this happen all the time, all over the world.....
Pay for a cab, and enjoy your break.

iff Oct 13, 2008 12:46 am

Originally Posted by hydargos (Post 10509104)
are The RER and the Metro safe around midnight?

I would say they're safer if you know where you're going, are awake and alert, and aren't traveling with luggage.

There are a lot of young people--some of whom may be quite boisterous, drunk, or high--from the suburbs who come into Paris on the later trains, and it can feel uncomfortable at times. The transfer at Chatelet involves a long walk and you may run into some questionable characters there too, especially if you need to stop to figure out where to go.

Depending on your daughter's age and how much luggage you'll have, you may be better off taking a taxi (about 50 euros?).

MatthewClement Oct 13, 2008 2:24 am

If there are three of you, taking a cab won't be much more expensive, and will be a lot less hassle.

youreadyfreddie Oct 13, 2008 2:45 am

I'd recommend the taxi as well. Less confusion, less stress. Avoid the taxi drivers who approach you as you exit the terminal and go to the taxi queue. Have a nice time in Paris.

JOUY31 Oct 13, 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by MatthewClement (Post 10511206)
If there are three of you, taking a cab won't be much more expensive, and will be a lot less hassle.

Yes, it is not really a security issue. For three persons, it is a no-brainer from a convenience/price performance point of view.

MatthewClement Oct 13, 2008 3:14 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31 (Post 10511250)
Yes, it is not really a security issue. For three persons, it is a no-brainer from a convenience/price performance point of view.

[PET PEEVE]
Although you will certainly all be forced to squash along the back seat, leaving the front seat of the taxi vacant. The front seat is the driver's "office" and is sacrosanct.

Drives me nuts in Paris!
[/PET PEEVE]

ALCARLOS Oct 15, 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by iff (Post 10511037)
I would say they're safer if you know where you're going, are awake and alert, and aren't traveling with luggage.

I have taken the RER around midnight. You are safe if you are an alert male without luggage. Otherwise, not a good idea.

FTraveler Oct 16, 2008 7:07 pm

If I was by myself, I may chance it - making sure I stay in a compartment iwith lots of other people close to the front. With family in tow, definitely not. It's just not worth the anxiety.

JOUY31 Oct 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ALCARLOS (Post 10524248)
I have taken the RER around midnight. You are safe if you are an alert male without luggage. Otherwise, not a good idea.

I am male and do it regularly with luggage. Usually landing after 10:00 PM, about half an hour to pick up the luggage and reach the RER station. And then 1h30 mn to the other end of the line, close to Saint Remy les Chevreuse ... I managed to get used to it. ;)

chauming Nov 27, 2008 6:10 pm

We were staying at the airport Hilton when my wife and I got lost when the train took itself out of service at midnight. I guess were couldn't heard the loudspeaker but neither could the parisians because a bunch of us ended up between stations with the lights out. We opened the doors and jumped onto the tracks to the nearby station. We manuever the train route to get back to the hilton. However, we ended up in a bad part of the system and there were two guys knocking things around and starting trouble. People walked away from them but I decided to stare them down. They mouth something to me but I said nothing and continued to stare them down. Mainly because I don't speak French so I didn't know what they said. They approached me and I continued to stare them dowm. They look like they wanted to fight but finally walk away. If you can stand this type of environment, then take the metro at night. And don't forget the smell of urine in many of the train stations. Good luck.

Armchair Flyer Nov 28, 2008 1:34 am

Like JOUY31 I used to happily use the RER B to and from CDG, until about 4 years ago I was in the same carriage as a guy who was assaulted and had his laptop bag forcibly removed for him by a youth whilst we were at one of the stations between CDG and the Gare du Nord. The youth made good his escape by pulling the emergency handle and sprinting off. That was early morning, me having just stepped off a redeye from the US. All happened very quickly and as I was sitting on a bench seat next to the door I reflected that it could so easily have been me.

My advice would be to avoid the RER to and from CDG, period (by the way, please note that I am not saying avoid the RER, period. The rest of it I use frequently. I just avoid the bit from CDG to the Gare du Nord inclusive). Don't put yourself in a position where there is a possibility that you might be compromised, it isn't worth it.

Cheers

Sim

By the way I've edited this post just to add: some RER trains stop (or used to stop) at all the stations between CDG and Gare du Nord. Others are direct from CDG to Gare du Nord. Same in the other direction. You might be thinking "it's the stops that are the problem so we'll just take the direct train, no worries". My advice is still the same, it isn't worth it. Take the cab.

benzguy80 Nov 28, 2008 7:20 am

I too have heard the stories of predation on the RER B between CDG and Gare du Nord.

I would (a) never take this train at night, especially with luggage, (b) not sit close to the door with a laptop, and (c) keep the cell phone out of site.

I also prefer the express train and am willing to wait some extra time to avoid all the stops when I'm alone as I always have bags with me on this route.

USAFAN Nov 28, 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Simon78300 (Post 10824977)
....By the way I've edited this post just to add: some RER trains stop (or used to stop) at all the stations between CDG and Gare du Nord. Others are direct from CDG to Gare du Nord. Same in the other direction. You might be thinking "it's the stops that are the problem so we'll just take the direct train, no worries". My advice is still the same, it isn't worth it. Take the cab.

How can I get an "Express RER" with no stops between CDG and Gare du Nord....do the trains look different, different signage? How often those direct-trains are going?
Thanks!

I have driven CDG-Gare du Nord, once direct and once with many stops ... the direct one looked like a Metro the other one looked like a "train" inside and had some military personal on board (not security, just taking the train to Paris)

planecrashlaw Nov 28, 2008 11:20 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 10826154)
How can I get an "Express RER" with no stops between CDG and Gare du Nord....do the trains look different, different signage?

We just did this on Wednesday. The platform signs will have a light next to each station along the line. Light on = a stop. Light off = no stop at that station. Lots of lights off between CDG and Gare du Nord = express.

I think that there are names associated with all stops vs express as well. And the express were less frequent.

Just a novice on the ground report..

JOUY31 Nov 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Simon78300 (Post 10824977)
Like JOUY31 I used to happily use the RER B to and from CDG, until about 4 years ago I was in the same carriage as a guy who was assaulted and had his laptop bag forcibly removed for him by a youth whilst we were at one of the stations between CDG and the Gare du Nord. The youth made good his escape by pulling the emergency handle and sprinting off. That was early morning, me having just stepped off a redeye from the US. All happened very quickly and as I was sitting on a bench seat next to the door I reflected that it could so easily have been me.

My advice would be to avoid the RER to and from CDG, period (by the way, please note that I am not saying avoid the RER, period. The rest of it I use frequently. I just avoid the bit from CDG to the Gare du Nord inclusive). Don't put yourself in a position where there is a possibility that you might be compromised, it isn't worth it.

Cheers

Sim

By the way I've edited this post just to add: some RER trains stop (or used to stop) at all the stations between CDG and Gare du Nord. Others are direct from CDG to Gare du Nord. Same in the other direction. You might be thinking "it's the stops that are the problem so we'll just take the direct train, no worries". My advice is still the same, it isn't worth it. Take the cab.

This must have been a dreadful experience :(. Still, time tends to blur memories. I remember swearing to myself that I would never use RER B again after the Saint Michel terrorist attack, and here I am, using it regularly, and I will be using it again tomorrow around 8 PM. That's life ...

KNRG Nov 28, 2008 12:57 pm

This thread has me worried..

My study-abroad has me comuting all around Paris and the prime method of transport is supposed to be the RER for students on the program.

Is it really that bad or is it moreso just not adviseable at night through some of the worse parts of town?

iff Nov 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by KNRG (Post 10826842)

My study-abroad has me comuting all around Paris and the prime method of transport is supposed to be the RER for students on the program.

Is it really that bad or is it moreso just not adviseable at night through some of the worse parts of town?

Just for clarity's sake:
RER = commuter train which goes across Paris and also into the suburbs
metro = subway which serves Paris

The RER can be confusing if you're not used to the system of train naming and destinations. It's a simple and cheap way to get to and from the airports and, depending on your route, can also be a fast way to get across Paris (fewer stops than the metro).

Within Paris, most of the time you'll probably be using the metro.

Some lines run through areas where tourists probably wouldn't go, and so you may see some tougher-looking characters on those. Generally speaking, if you just keep your street smarts about you (don't wear a backpack, keep your belongings close at hand, especially if sitting by a door, keep your money in a safe place, etc.) you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

As a woman riding alone most of the time, including late at night, I've never had any problems. I don't know if you're male or female; if female, you might occasionally get some undesired attention from men here and there, but you just have to be firm about telling them to get lost and usually they will. If you're with other people, that helps as well.

tomsundstrom Nov 28, 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 10826154)
How can I get an "Express RER" with no stops between CDG and Gare du Nord....do the trains look different, different signage? How often those direct-trains are going?
Thanks!

If you follow this link, you can pull up a schedule which shows which trains are Express, and which make the stops. Choose the direction "Robinson..." for trains from CDG, and the days (weekday or weekend) that you travel.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/horaires_rer_ligne_b.php#

Mountain Trader Nov 29, 2008 10:35 am

Originally Posted by KNRG (Post 10826842)

Are you going to the international university in the southern part of the 13th in Paris by any chance? If so, the RER out that way is generally very safe and well used by many people.

JOUY31 Nov 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Uneventful RER B ride home from CDG to the other end of the line. As always, it took longer than my usual flights back from LHR or FRA ;).

benzguy80 Nov 29, 2008 4:15 pm

Despite all the warnings I will admit that I've taken this train numerous times between CDG and St-Michel/Notre Dame without having any problems, ever.

There were a couple of times that I had too much stuff and probably should have taken a coach or a taxi, but that was my problem to sort out.

YMMV ...

benzguy80

o0herbie Nov 30, 2008 1:13 pm

If you fly in to CDG1 (a hell-hole of a terminal) then you'll need to get a bus to the RER station within CDG - add another 20-30 mins of waiting/driving. Seriously consider staying the night at the airport to avoid hassle.

As above - the CDG-Gare du Nord trains are fine, but the stopping services have me on edge, even during the day.

I'd definitely go for the taxi - but don't expect the driver (most likely a North African immigrant) to admit to speaking English, so have a print out of where you need to go - and try and understand the route before you travel.

iff Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by o0herbie (Post 10833736)
If you fly in to CDG1 (a hell-hole of a terminal) then you'll need to get a bus to the RER station within CDG

Not anymore; since the spring of 2007 there's an automated people mover instead.

USAFAN Dec 1, 2008 8:38 am

Originally Posted by tomsundstrom (Post 10827444)
If you follow this link, you can pull up a schedule which shows which trains are Express, and which make the stops. Choose the direction "Robinson..." for trains from CDG, and the days (weekday or weekend) that you travel.

planecrashlaw & tomsundstrom:

Thanks for your advise. Next time I go though CDG, I'll check it out.
BTW, regarding the tickets, I had to stay in line to buy them. The automatic ticket machines have been "out of order" and/or did not take my US credit card.

benzguy80 Dec 1, 2008 8:49 am

FWIW, I never had any luck with using my US CC's in the ticket vending machines back 3 yrs ago, always had to stand in line.

planecrashlaw Dec 1, 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 10837056)
planecrashlaw & tomsundstrom:

Thanks for your advise. Next time I go though CDG, I'll check it out.
BTW, regarding the tickets, I had to stay in line to buy them. The automatic ticket machines have been "out of order" and/or did not take my US credit card.

A US issued credit/debit card will not work in the kiosks. Save 8.40 euro coins per person and a few Metro tickets when you go home--the kiosks will take euro coins but not bills. In fact, the RER tickets lines while in Paris en route to CDG can be just as bad as outbound CDG, so save coins for both going home to the US this trip and coming back next time and you will be set.

Home tomorrow. :(

iff Dec 1, 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw (Post 10839184)
A US issued credit/debit card will not work in the kiosks. Save 8.40 euro coins per person and a few Metro tickets when you go home--the kiosks will take euro coins but not bills. In fact, the RER tickets lines while in Paris en route to CDG can be just as bad as outbound CDG, so save coins for both going home to the US this trip and coming back next time and you will be set.

Or just buy some extra tickets and hang onto them for future use. The prices go up every July, but you can still use your old tickets. In fact, if you go through there often or with other people you might consider buying a carnet of 10 tickets, currently €67.20 instead of the €84 you'd pay for 10 tickets separately.

allset2travel Dec 2, 2008 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by tomsundstrom (Post 10827444)

Thanks for the link.
I too have safety concern about travel on RER. Is there security staff on these trains?
Need to go from Montparnasse area to CDG (Aerogare 2 Term A), around mid morning. Definitely look like tourist with luggage and backpack. Besides RER-B from Denfert-Rochereau and taxi, what other transportation options available?

One more question, is safety more or less of an issue from Orly to center Paris during day time, compared to that to/from CDG?

JOUY31 Dec 2, 2008 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 10844034)
Thanks for the link.
I too have safety concern about travel on RER. Is there security staff on these trains?
Need to go from Montparnasse area to CDG (Aerogare 2 Term A), around mid morning. Definitely look like tourist with luggage and backpack. Besides RER-B from Denfert-Rochereau and taxi, what other transportation options available?

One more question, is safety more or less of an issue from Orly to center Paris during day time, compared to that to/from CDG?

At that time of the day, neither CDG nor ORY is a safety issue :). Another option from Montparnasse would be AF coaches.

Mountain Trader Dec 3, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 10844034)
Thanks for the link.

I have never seen security staff on RER trains. There may be one somewhere but to be honest, you won't know where they are and any person giving you trouble will.

Even ignoring security, I would never advise someone to mess with the RER from Montparnasse to CDG. Air France runs a clean, safe bus (Line #4) every 30 minutes from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. They even have a person to stow your baggage under the bus and another to retrieve it when you arrive. No need to be flying on AF (or at all)-it's just a bus service. Here's a link with info, including a map of the pick-up spot at Montparnasse (hit the link, then click at bottom on "Lines" then go to Line 4):

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...rameHeight=600

benzguy80 Dec 3, 2008 7:19 pm

AF bus in Paris, pay where?

pardon a naive question, but do riders on the AF buses in Paris pay aboard, or do they need to be holding a prepurchased ticket? are reservations required?

thanks in advance,
benzguy80

cph_flyer Dec 3, 2008 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80 (Post 10852519)
pardon a naive question, but do riders on the AF buses in Paris pay aboard, or do they need to be holding a prepurchased ticket? are reservations required?

thanks in advance,
benzguy80

Usually you just buy the ticket on the bus. No reservations required.