FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Is RER safe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/875386-rer-safe.html)

iff Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by o0herbie (Post 10833736)
If you fly in to CDG1 (a hell-hole of a terminal) then you'll need to get a bus to the RER station within CDG

Not anymore; since the spring of 2007 there's an automated people mover instead.

USAFAN Dec 1, 2008 8:38 am

Originally Posted by tomsundstrom (Post 10827444)
If you follow this link, you can pull up a schedule which shows which trains are Express, and which make the stops. Choose the direction "Robinson..." for trains from CDG, and the days (weekday or weekend) that you travel.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/horaires_rer_ligne_b.php#

planecrashlaw & tomsundstrom:

Thanks for your advise. Next time I go though CDG, I'll check it out.
BTW, regarding the tickets, I had to stay in line to buy them. The automatic ticket machines have been "out of order" and/or did not take my US credit card.

benzguy80 Dec 1, 2008 8:49 am

FWIW, I never had any luck with using my US CC's in the ticket vending machines back 3 yrs ago, always had to stand in line.

planecrashlaw Dec 1, 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by USAFAN (Post 10837056)
planecrashlaw & tomsundstrom:

Thanks for your advise. Next time I go though CDG, I'll check it out.
BTW, regarding the tickets, I had to stay in line to buy them. The automatic ticket machines have been "out of order" and/or did not take my US credit card.

A US issued credit/debit card will not work in the kiosks. Save 8.40 euro coins per person and a few Metro tickets when you go home--the kiosks will take euro coins but not bills. In fact, the RER tickets lines while in Paris en route to CDG can be just as bad as outbound CDG, so save coins for both going home to the US this trip and coming back next time and you will be set.

Home tomorrow. :(

iff Dec 1, 2008 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw (Post 10839184)
A US issued credit/debit card will not work in the kiosks. Save 8.40 euro coins per person and a few Metro tickets when you go home--the kiosks will take euro coins but not bills. In fact, the RER tickets lines while in Paris en route to CDG can be just as bad as outbound CDG, so save coins for both going home to the US this trip and coming back next time and you will be set.

Or just buy some extra tickets and hang onto them for future use. The prices go up every July, but you can still use your old tickets. In fact, if you go through there often or with other people you might consider buying a carnet of 10 tickets, currently €67.20 instead of the €84 you'd pay for 10 tickets separately.

allset2travel Dec 2, 2008 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by tomsundstrom (Post 10827444)
If you follow this link, you can pull up a schedule which shows which trains are Express, and which make the stops. Choose the direction "Robinson..." for trains from CDG, and the days (weekday or weekend) that you travel.

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/horaires_rer_ligne_b.php#

Thanks for the link.
I too have safety concern about travel on RER. Is there security staff on these trains?
Need to go from Montparnasse area to CDG (Aerogare 2 Term A), around mid morning. Definitely look like tourist with luggage and backpack. Besides RER-B from Denfert-Rochereau and taxi, what other transportation options available?

One more question, is safety more or less of an issue from Orly to center Paris during day time, compared to that to/from CDG?

JOUY31 Dec 2, 2008 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 10844034)
Thanks for the link.
I too have safety concern about travel on RER. Is there security staff on these trains?
Need to go from Montparnasse area to CDG (Aerogare 2 Term A), around mid morning. Definitely look like tourist with luggage and backpack. Besides RER-B from Denfert-Rochereau and taxi, what other transportation options available?

One more question, is safety more or less of an issue from Orly to center Paris during day time, compared to that to/from CDG?

At that time of the day, neither CDG nor ORY is a safety issue :). Another option from Montparnasse would be AF coaches.

Mountain Trader Dec 3, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel (Post 10844034)
Thanks for the link.

I have never seen security staff on RER trains. There may be one somewhere but to be honest, you won't know where they are and any person giving you trouble will.

Even ignoring security, I would never advise someone to mess with the RER from Montparnasse to CDG. Air France runs a clean, safe bus (Line #4) every 30 minutes from 6:30 am to 9:30 pm. They even have a person to stow your baggage under the bus and another to retrieve it when you arrive. No need to be flying on AF (or at all)-it's just a bus service. Here's a link with info, including a map of the pick-up spot at Montparnasse (hit the link, then click at bottom on "Lines" then go to Line 4):

http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/local/...rameHeight=600

benzguy80 Dec 3, 2008 7:19 pm

AF bus in Paris, pay where?

pardon a naive question, but do riders on the AF buses in Paris pay aboard, or do they need to be holding a prepurchased ticket? are reservations required?

thanks in advance,
benzguy80

cph_flyer Dec 3, 2008 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80 (Post 10852519)
pardon a naive question, but do riders on the AF buses in Paris pay aboard, or do they need to be holding a prepurchased ticket? are reservations required?

thanks in advance,
benzguy80

Usually you just buy the ticket on the bus. No reservations required.

o0herbie Dec 4, 2008 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 10850326)
I have never seen security staff on RER trains. There may be one somewhere but to be honest, you won't know where they are and any person giving you trouble will.

I have quite often seen both army and CRS (elite police) patrolling the RER. I wouldn't consider it as read that they are on every train though!

Mountain Trader Dec 4, 2008 7:36 am

Originally Posted by o0herbie (Post 10854485)
I have quite often seen both army and CRS (elite police) patrolling the RER. I wouldn't consider it as read that they are on every train though!

I've seen a lot of security-including soldiers with drawn machine guns-in stations, especially St. Michel. I've never seen any actually on the trains, but they might be there from time to time.

Strawb Dec 4, 2008 8:04 am

I was very nearly mugged on a late night train between CDG and Gare du Nord in 2004. I had my trusty Panasonic camera bag with me - which I use as hand luggage and not as a camera bag - and two young would-be muggers sat themselves right opposite me and grabbed my bag. Unfortunately for them the only valuable items I had inside were my passport and airline paper tickets (my wallet was on my person). Thank god they didn't take my passport and tickets. And the audacity of it was that there were several other passengers in the same carriage and they didn't blink an eyelid.

This has taught me to be especially weary of travelling late at night but it has not put me off at all. I still do travel late at night on the metro and RER but only for short journeys within Paris and inner suburbs. I have yet to be successfully mugged in Paris.

asdca Dec 4, 2008 10:45 am

Originally Posted by benzguy80 (Post 10852519)

thanks in advance,
benzguy80

You can pay aboard and there is also a ticket office at CDG in the lower concourse that connects (I believe) 2E and 2F. I've used these buses several times and def. recommend them.

benzguy80 Dec 15, 2008 6:12 am

Thanks for the posts about the Air France "les cars" coach. This worked out very nicely, depositing me with luggage near Charles de Gaulle Etoile. Round trip of 22e was well spent in my viewpoint. Nicer than hassling with RER B and very comfortable/secure.