Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Help needed with SNCF mess

Old Sep 25, 08, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM

I'm hoping someone understands the world of SNCF enough to let me know if I can get out of a bit of a mess.

Yesterday I bought a round trip train tik on the SNCF website (after repeated crashes) that is CDG(TGV)[5214] to Rennes[54411] to St. Malo and return[54348/5280] for the end of October/beginning of November. I got a PREMS fare which was about the same as a second class but put me in first class.

The problem is I mistakenly made the return to RoissyCDG(TGV) rather than downtown Paris, which is where I want to be.

Since the PREMS are non exchangeable and nonreimbursable I seem to be stuck.

Does anybody know if this is the case? I seem to remember seeing a SNCF English language phone number somewhere that I thought I might call, but if it's anything like the website I don't have high hopes. Plus, I can't find the number.

So I'm appealing to my FT friends who may know their way around the SNCF labirynth for help.

What I would like to do is get the direct TGV from Rennes to Paris (Montparnasse I think) and use the payment for the St.Malo/Rennes/Roissy to pay for it. Or just get a credit or something for that trip. It turns out is qutie a bit cheaper and faster to go directly to Paris so I'll probably do this regardless but I hate to see the cost of the St.Malo/Rennes/Roissy ticket vaporize.

A further glitch is that when I went to the SNCF site and pulled up my rez it gave me the option to annuler my entire round trip only. I'd only want to cancel the Rennes-CDG leg. But no option to do this. Any advice on this also greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 25, 08, 11:01 am

Ouch! SNCF's website has been a real pain recently. Might I suggest you pm chrissxb, not only head honcho in all things français on this forum, but a really nice fellow to boot. Bonne chance!
Old Sep 25, 08, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I am not as knowledgeable as chrissxb, but I would say it is the same rules as for airplane tickets issued by European airlines. Non refundable means completely non refundable, with no credit against another purchase. So being able to cancel one leg would not be of any use. I did hear, and Chris probably has more information, that there may be sites where people exchange these non refundable tickets, but you would need to find a perfect match for your needs ...
Old Sep 25, 08, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by nor4 View Post
The problem is I mistakenly made the return to RoissyCDG(TGV) rather than downtown Paris, which is where I want to be.
Is time very important on your trip? If not, stop worrying, keep the ticket (which is probably the only thing you can do) and get on the first RER to Paris once you arrive at CDG. You will probably arrive maximum 1 hour later.

And I don’t know enough about the cheap SNCF rates, but could it be that you got the cheap rate exactly BECAUSE you were returning to the same station (and not another one)? A bit like the airlines…
Old Sep 26, 08, 4:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Alternatively, won't the TGV stop at Massy TGV on the way round? In which case, just hop of the train at Massy (which is a good 50 minutes before CDG), and get the RER B into town (25 minutes or so). It'll barely take you longer than the direct train, particularly given the journey in from Montparnasse (unless that's where you're actually headed).

I wouldn't hold out any hope of getting your money back on an inflexible ticket.
Old Sep 27, 08, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
I am not as knowledgeable as chrissxb, but I would say it is the same rules as for airplane tickets issued by European airlines. Non refundable means completely non refundable, with no credit against another purchase. So being able to cancel one leg would not be of any use. I did hear, and Chris probably has more information, that there may be sites where people exchange these non refundable tickets, but you would need to find a perfect match for your needs ...
Maybe this will help...but in french
http://www.trocdesprems.com/
Old Sep 30, 08, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Thanks

Lots of good ideas. I tried the trocdesprems website but probably more than I want to deal with. I think I'll go with Massy train into Paris.

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread