Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Duty Free Shopping at Paris CDG - any good?

Old Jul 28, 08, 9:52 am
Original Poster

What is the current state of duty free shopping at Paris CDG. Is it any good?. In my past experiences, it has been overpriced and underwhelming in quality, particularly with respect to finding french wines and liquors. However, I have a friend going through there this week and am curious if these days, there is any wine shop there worth asking them to take a detour and have a look in?
Old Jul 28, 08, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue the discussion in the France forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jul 28, 08, 6:17 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by osamede View Post
What is the current state of duty free shopping at Paris CDG. Is it any good?. In my past experiences, it has been overpriced and underwhelming in quality, particularly with respect to finding french wines and liquors. However, I have a friend going through there this week and am curious if these days, there is any wine shop there worth asking them to take a detour and have a look in?
At cdg (4 months ago) they were selling remy martin xo for the equivalent of USD 120.00; on american airlines in their duty free on the plane shop $105--from everything i've read amsterdam and shannon are supposed to be "the" duty free shops to visit.
Old Jul 29, 08, 8:36 am

Programs: AA3MMEXP, BAGold,UA1MMPremGold,FBSilver, MarriottAmb, AccorPlat, HHGold, ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
Which terminal?
I have very fond memories of Hermes scarves, Chanel costume jewelry, and similar goodies at Terminal 1 many years ago, but the last two times I was there shopping was very limited due to construction; probably it's completed by now. I thought the selections at Terminal 2 (and I've checked as many of the sections as I could get to from the AA area airside) were very disappointing, perhaps because so many of the flights there are to the EU, for which duty-free prices don't apply.
I think it's generally true that onboard DFS prices are slightly cheaper than in the airport, if they are carrying the item you want. And given the dollar's decline against the euro, you might still do better in the US nowadays.
Old Jul 29, 08, 11:38 am

I was disappointed by the shopping in 2E a few weeks ago. It was a Sunday morning and more than half the stores were closed. What was open was pretty limited. Even more disappointing were the food options. I was starving and ended up eating a really disappointing and overpriced sandwich.
Old Jul 29, 08, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Id say its a good place to blow it if your only other use is to lite a BBQ or a cigar with it
Old Jul 29, 08, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Do the CDG shops quote "tax free" and "duty free" prices depending on whether your destination is within the E.U. or outside? MXP [i]usedp/i] to do that but stopped sometime between late June and early September 2006, and AMS shops only do that for items on sale.
Old Jul 29, 08, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:CDG duty free

Don't bother, unless you can find wines or cosmetics unavailable in the USA.
Generally priced higher than detax stores in Paris itself for perfumes, etc.
Old Jul 29, 08, 11:03 pm
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
one plus for duty free shopping (not just cdg), they will generally take your loose coins (down to the 1 cent) in payment for merchandise. So if you have lots of change, and will not be returning, even if you pay extra at a duty free airport shop, you won't lose your excess change.
Old Aug 19, 08, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM; UA Sil; DL GM
Duty Free shops in European Airports generally don't seem to offer much, certainly not bargains. But a couple of years ago with a little extra time at CDG (terminal #?) I wandered into one of the smaller satellite outposts and found a reasonably priced bottle of my favorite brand of creme de cassis that I hadn't been able to find in Paris. But in general I'd shop for French wine in town, not at the airport.

Search this Thread