Community
Wiki Posts
Search

guidebooks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH Silver, Marriott Rewards
Yes for Michelin... and The Paris Insider newsletter

If driving about the country, I still like to have a Michelin Green with me in the car... just seems to be more detail and easier to access about quite a variety of places. Wouldn't be without one.

To the OP... not sure about the Green for a time just in Paris. But check one in a store if available and see what you think of the detail.

Also try "Paris through Expatriate Eyes" at http://www.paris-expat.com/ and subscribe to The Paris Insider newsletter... no charge.

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
We like the Michelin Green Guides for sight-seeing; they're pretty detailed.
Mr. Tb still likes the Red Guides for hotels and restaurants; I am more likely to consult FT.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by Jay71
This amount of research is a bit insane and my wife tells me so.
I actually enjoy this research - I think of it as building anticipation. And I hate going/eating/staying somewhere blah on my vacations! If I were to eat a boring meal in Paris, I would whimper "but, I'm sure that just around the corner, there was a fabulous place and I was stuck at La Boring instead!"

On the other hand, I'm not THAT anal (wouldn't know it from above ) and once I've done my research - by the time I'm on that plane, I just go with the flow and enjoy the adventure. ^ (errr, I enjoy that adventure more if I get yummy food )

As far as online sites, I have become increasing jaded about 'ringers' on website. People who are affiliated with a place, posing as tourists or locals, talking it up. Grrrr. That's why I'm finding FT sooo useful for those recommendations! However, I'm a budget traveler and find alot of the recs are a bit out of my range. C'est la vie. One must treat one's self, n'est-ce pas?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by alief
I actually enjoy this research - I think of it as building anticipation. And I hate going/eating/staying somewhere blah on my vacations! If I were to eat a boring meal in Paris, I would whimper "but, I'm sure that just around the corner, there was a fabulous place and I was stuck at La Boring instead!"

On the other hand, I'm not THAT anal (wouldn't know it from above ) and once I've done my research - by the time I'm on that plane, I just go with the flow and enjoy the adventure. ^ (errr, I enjoy that adventure more if I get yummy food )

As far as online sites, I have become increasing jaded about 'ringers' on website. People who are affiliated with a place, posing as tourists or locals, talking it up. Grrrr. That's why I'm finding FT sooo useful for those recommendations! However, I'm a budget traveler and find alot of the recs are a bit out of my range. C'est la vie. One must treat one's self, n'est-ce pas?
When we used to spend a few days in Paris (as opposed to now, when we just spend the night before our return flight to the US), I always spent part of the first afternoon on the telephone, making dinner reservations for each night of our visit.

That was in the '80s, when The Food Lover's Guides were still current: they were among our favorite guide books.
We didn't always eat expensively, but we always ate well.

I still have fond memories of eating wonderful food at L'Ambassade d'Auvergne and then walking back to our tiny hotel on the Ile St. Louis. (The Ile St. Louis, IMO, is the most romantic place to stay in Paris. Especially, when walking back at night from the Rive Gauche, and seeing the lighted back of Notre Dame!)
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I personally find the Rick Steves books a bit slapdash for my taste. His historical and art references are too glossed over if they are not outright wrong.

However, some of his tips for avoiding lines and such are great, although they aren't always described accurately or completely enough.

The biggest problem with his hotel and restaurant suggestions is one that he himself acknowledges - too many Rick Steves readers go to them, changing them from local hidden treasures to tourist meccas.

Michelin green guides are good and I agree that I generally like the Cadogan guides, although I have not used the one for Paris.

For both shopping and restaurants in Paris, I use the Gayot/Gault-Millau guide which has a pretty comprehensive approach to both subjects.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Another method of research I sometimes employ is to get a stack of novels and historical novels all set in the city/country to which I'm going. It gives you a feeling for a place way beyond what guide books do. Any type of reading you enjoy - murder mystery, romance, history, adventure....

And videos and movies set in the planned destination. Lots of the guide books have lists of relevant movies and videos. You get the characteristic music and lots more.

Romelle
Old Aug 5, 2008, 5:57 pm
In memoriam

The best guides for history nuts IMO are the Blue Guides - more than you ever wanted to know about anywhere in Europe. Guided us to the tomb of Catherine Parr - the 6th wife of Henry the 8th - an extraordinarily beautiful tomb in a beautiful setting. Only downside is the teeny tiny print. For those of you older folk who are far-sighted - bring your best reading glasses (I'm an older folk but very near-sighted - can't see 10 feet in front of me but I can read teeny tiny print ). Robyn
Old Aug 5, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by robyng
The best guides for history nuts IMO are the Blue Guides - more than you ever wanted to know about anywhere in Europe. Guided us to the tomb of Catherine Parr - the 6th wife of Henry the 8th - an extraordinarily beautiful tomb in a beautiful setting. Only downside is the teeny tiny print. For those of you older folk who are far-sighted - bring your best reading glasses (I'm an older folk but very near-sighted - can't see 10 feet in front of me but I can read teeny tiny print ). Robyn
You're right. I had forgotten about the Blue guides. They are really good for history.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
No one book will give you all you want. If you spend more time in Paris, I would suggest to check out the DK book on Paris.
As for the rest of France, I would go online to pick and choose what I need. The last two trips to France, I did not bother to carry any book but rely on the web for info. The web is more current and easier to do research (when and where you want to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.