Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

"valid" passport for travel

Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I keep reading that your passport can't expire for three months after your dates of travel in france. Continental website only says "valid" passport. The French consulate pages only give definitive answers for those requiring a visa, and for a visa your passport can't expire before 90 days from dates of travel. I'm traveling next week and my passport expires September 30, 2008, and all of a sudden I'm in a panic. Since it's was a holiday yesterday, and now the weekend, I can't get an answer from any governmental authority, and if I need to expedite a renewal i need to do it tomorrow, with a very hefty fee. i don't know which to be anxious about, the fact that my passport expires in 2 1/2 months, or sending my passport off for expediting and take the minimal risk that I don't get it back. EEEEEk. I'm biting my nails!
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:43 am

As far as I am aware the rule is that your passport needs to be valid for the duration of your intended stay.

There are some countries that have silly rules requiring passports to be valid for several months after your intended return date (never understood those rules!) but I don't believe France is one of them.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I do not know for sure about your situation, but last month when I was checking at EWR for a NWA flight to AMS, a guy in the FC line was getting all the attention from all 3 of the TAs there. (Basically ignoring me in the line... as I was trying to check my bags for my trip to AMS in WBC!)

Anyway, I could not help but overhear their conversation about his problem, which was that his passport would expire within 3-6 months (can't remember exactly right now). He argued that his passport was still good and that he would go to the consulate in Paris the day he arrived to get it renewed for return, to no end. In the end, the TA would not check him in, and told him that they would need him to get the passport renewed before the flight.

If I were you, I would do the expedited renewal, or go to a Federal building with your plane ticket to get an expedited renewal.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
As far as I am aware the rule is that your passport needs to be valid for the duration of your intended stay.

There are some countries that have silly rules requiring passports to be valid for several months after your intended return date (never understood those rules!)...
Not intended stay but the maximum possible stay. So, for example, Italy allows Canadian tourists to stay for 90 days without a visa. So Johnny Canuck might go for a 2 week vacation, fall in love with a babe in Tuscany, and decide to stay for a couple of months instead. No problem, unless his passport expires before they start to argue, and eventually break up.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:38 pm
iff

Documents needed when entering France

Whether or not you are required to obtain a visa before travelling, even if you are an American citizen, you may be requested to show the following elements to the French border police upon arrival :

a valid passport (still valid 3 months after your return from France)...
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by secretsea18
If I were you, I would do the expedited renewal, or go to a Federal building with your plane ticket to get an expedited renewal.
From info on the passport office web page, you can't just "show up" and request expedited service--you should make an appointment first--if you plan to use expedited service.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 1:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by nrr
From info on the passport office web page, you can't just "show up" and request expedited service--you should make an appointment first--if you plan to use expedited service.
There are many private passport expediting businesses operating in the United States that serve as intermediaries for a fee with the Passport Office. I got my passport in 48 hours (although I had paid for five day service). Even same day service is available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.