FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Your Favorite Thing In Paris, Or, For What Would You Fly To Paris For Only 1 Day? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/837070-your-favorite-thing-paris-what-would-you-fly-paris-only-1-day.html)

Hoc Jun 21, 2008 4:03 pm

Your Favorite Thing In Paris, Or, For What Would You Fly To Paris For Only 1 Day?

Yes, the truth is that I'm going back to Paris next month for the fourth time. So, I'm just looking at ideas of other people as to what they consider the one best thing about Paris. I figure that others would have things I've never experienced or considered, which could make for a nice, exciting trip. And I might just schedule my itinerary this time around the "Best ofs" that are listed here.

For me, wandering the Left Bank of the Seine, with all of the artists' stalls and book stalls, is a uniquely Parisian experience. I also remember having a wonderful fondue at a little restaurant on a small street in St. Germain des Pres (by the way, if anyone knows the restaurant name, I'd appreciate it, since I'd like to go back. They had a waiter, French born and raised, who spoke English with no accent at all).

So, what is the one thing in Paris that you consider to be your "favorite"? If you had to return for only one thing, what would it be?

Kate_Canuck Jun 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Mr Canuck and I lived in Paris for two years. We're planning to go back for a weekend, probably in 2009, to attend the "Salon des Vignerons Independants". It happens twice a year, around November and March - and you can taste the wines of hundreds of winemakers for free and stock up on interesting wines you'll never find in a wine store (at great prices).

But you can only do that twice a year at fixed times. I went back to Paris about a month ago on business and this is what I did:

- Visited the cheese shop in my old neighbourhood (Auteil in the 16th arrondisement)
- Window-shopped in Passy (and found two great, moderately priced cocktail dresses for work events)
- Visited the Musee Marmottan (the largest collection of Monets in the world, I think)
- Window-shopped in the Marais and stopped by BHV (comparable to a Macy's, with a great hardware dept and fabric/curtain dept)
- Had dinner at Le Vin dans les Voiles (our favourite wine bar/restaurant in the 16th)

keisari Jun 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Stock up on a pique-nique basket (champagne and foie gras pate must be included) in the food store of Galleries Lafayette (2nd floor) and then take a cab to Luxembourg Gardens. Pull up one of the green chairs and sit around the water. Eat and drink to my hearts content and take lots of pictures.
Oh yes, its September.

samftla Jun 21, 2008 5:10 pm

OH much prefer my pique-nique basket from Grand Epicerie at the Bon Marche in the 7th and then walk to the Luxembourg Gardens for a deilghtful déjeuner. Ah the chocolat de Afrique from Cafe Angelique near the Louvre. The thickest, richest hot chocolate you could want, très magnifique. And for one of the best views of Paris, DÉLI-CIEUX on the 9TH floor of Printemps de la MAISON. And my favorite non major musee Musée Carnavalet, a wonderful homage to the history of Paris http://www.paris.fr/portail/Culture/...t?page_id=6468
And for a cheap quick lunch a bowl of moules from Léon of Brussels.

These are a few of my favorite Parisian sites.

Sam

2expt Jun 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Well - one itinerary could be - Go to the Rodin's museum, and then walk to the Eifel Tower area. Enjoy choco crepes and some drinks...and then off to the Latin district for shopping and eating....too little time!!!

2expt

BaliParis Jun 21, 2008 6:30 pm

These are some of my favorite things......Laduree macaroons! Also, no trip would be complete for me if I didn't stop by my favorite parapharmacie in the 6th for all my beauty faves. Grab a coffee or drink with a friend that lives there, and I still like Buddha Bar. Galeries Lafayette Gourmet, for my fave food items. I always love to walk through Jardin Des Tuileries, sit, people watch.

But my most favorite thing to do is to send postcards, that's not just for Paris but for everywhere. Finding cool stamps is fun too. In France, they have heart shaped stamps, and every year they are designed by a different fashion designer. I love collecting them

luxury Jun 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Enjoying the Longchamp at Jean-Paul Hevin and a pain de chocolat as well as macaron at Pierre Herme is a must for me.

I always stock up on tea at Marriage Freres and a visit to Cave Taillevent for some champagne or wine.

If I can, a meal at Taillevent!!

youreadyfreddie Jun 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I third the recommendation for a picnic in Luxembourg Gardens. It's cooler (temperature-wise) over by the trees, and sunnier/warmer over by the where the kids play with the model sailboats. My favorite is the pirate ship.

I also enjoy walking along the Seine to see what the booksellers have to offer.

They took very good care of us at Le Beaujolais on Avenue Suffren near the Tour Eiffel during our last two visits, greeting us with hugs etc. when we popped back in for dinner in May. Ricardo and Henri (the waiters) are fantastic and the atmosphere is casual, friendly, and comfortable even if your French is not so great or non existent.

The future Mr youreadyfreddie and I were in Paris in May, and may take a quick trip over in October. I'll keep an eye peeled for Cafe Angelique so I can try the hot chocolate there.

Hoc Jun 22, 2008 12:40 am

Originally Posted by samftla (Post 9917716)
Ah the chocolat de Afrique from Cafe Angelique near the Louvre. The thickest, richest hot chocolate you could want, très magnifique.

How does French chocolate compare with Spanish chocolate (which they thicken with rice flour)? Do you usually dip anything into it?

Hoc Jun 22, 2008 12:44 am

Originally Posted by luxury (Post 9918390)
Enjoying the Longchamp at Jean-Paul Hevin and a pain de chocolat as well as macaron at Pierre Herme is a must for me.

I have to admit I kind of became a pain chocolate addict last time I was there, and had at least one a day. Never had it at Pierre Herme, though.

samftla Jun 22, 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Hoc (Post 9918841)
How does French chocolate compare with Spanish chocolate (which they thicken with rice flour)? Do you usually dip anything into it?

It is hot chocolate, simply melted chocolate with the addition of hot cream.
Sam