Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Paris for a couple's vacation

Old Jun 16, 08, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Platinum, IC Gold Ambassador

I'm hoping I can get some great ideas on where to stay in Paris, based on the below info.

-First trip to Paris (in 2 weeks for 4 days) - spent lots of time in Europe but never made it to France!
-Just my husband and myself
-While we spent most of our London trip enjoing the sights and pubs, this time the pubs are off limits...pregnant. So much for French wine!
-Want above average accomodations, and for it to be restful!

I orginally was looking at the 6th, but fear it might be noisy with late night partying and early morning bottle pickups. Ideally we'd want to be in a location close to fantastic cafes and restaurants, since we'll be limited to enjoying the food and not the wine! Perhaps IC le Grand in the 9th?

We plan to do some sightseeing and just wandering around the city taking in the culture.

Thoughts on the best area to stay in?

Thanks!

Last edited by Diannap; Jun 16, 08 at 10:39 am
Old Jun 16, 08, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
What's your price range? When are you planning to go and for how long? Do you have hotel points (or airline miles that can be converted into hotel points)? Do you like staying in larger chain hotels or would you prefer a boutique hotel? Charming or cutting edge style? Are you interested in staying in an apartment?

For areas, I'd recommend the Marais (it's busy but not raucous), the area around Trocadero and the area around Opera and the large department stores.
Old Jun 16, 08, 10:29 am
Original Poster

What's your price range? When are you planning to go and for how long? Do you have hotel points (or airline miles that can be converted into hotel points)? Do you like staying in larger chain hotels or would you prefer a boutique hotel? Charming or cutting edge style? Are you interested in staying in an apartment?
Price isn't the most important. I'm look at the IC Le Grand since I have some PC points to redeem. Otherwise its about $600/night. If I pay for all 4 nights, I'd probably want something less than $400 per night, but its not a requirement.

We are there for 4 nights - June 27-July 1st.

I have lots of NW points.

We don't like modern, but rather more traditional hotels with nice luxuries and some style. Not an apartment.
Old Jun 16, 08, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck View Post
For areas, I'd recommend the Marais (it's busy but not raucous), the area around Trocadero and the area around Opera and the large department stores.
For a total Paris newbie, what Arrondissement are those areas in? Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 08, 10:39 am

Programs: Many
Marais : 4th (mainly) and 3th (little)
Trocadero : 16th
Opera : 9th
Old Jun 16, 08, 10:41 am

Programs: Many
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Marais
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trocad%C3%A9ro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IXe_arrondissement
Old Jun 16, 08, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Diannap View Post
Price isn't the most important. I'm look at the IC Le Grand since I have some PC points to redeem. Otherwise its about $600/night. If I pay for all 4 nights, I'd probably want something less than $400 per night, but its not a requirement.

We are there for 4 nights - June 27-July 1st.

I have lots of NW points.

We don't like modern, but rather more traditional hotels with nice luxuries and some style. Not an apartment.
Check out Hotel Relais Christine. It's on a great little very quiet side street in the 6th. It's in a wonderful location with lots of transportation within very short walking distance. In any hotel in the price range in which you're looking, you won't have a problem with street noise most likely.

There's nothing wrong with the IC Grand that you mention either. It is in a very good location too.

I've stayed in the 1st, 8th, 15th and 6th and every part of Paris has it's own special things, but the 6th is my favorite. But, that's just IMO.

Have a wonderful time.

Bobette

Last edited by b1513; Jun 16, 08 at 7:30 pm
Old Jun 22, 08, 6:59 pm
Y'z

I stayed at the IC grand last summer. There's nothing wrong with the IC Grand, but there's nothing special. It even gives somewhat conference hotel feel. Overall, I thought that I should have spent some more money and stay at smaller luxury hotel in lovely neighbourhood for our romantic paris trip. We don't travel to Paris often, so we felt that way. However, the IC grand is good hotel especially for business travel.

Search this Thread