FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   France and Monaco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/)
-   -   Weekend Trip in Paris (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco/707219-weekend-trip-paris.html)

Dave Marsh Jun 24, 2007 9:37 am

Weekend Trip in Paris

OK I finally managed to book my Eurostar tix (a bit expensive at £145 but manage to get First class on the way back for just £5 more)

I will be arriving into Paris at around 9:30ish on Friday night and leaving on Sunday night 9pmish.

OK to be more specific my questions are:

1) When I arrive into Paris, what is the best way to get to my hotel ( I am staying at the Le Meridien Etoile - near Champs Elysee). Metro or Taxi?

2) What to do on Friday night? Resturants and bars that open past 12am? Any good recommendations? DOnt' want somewhere too over the top or noisy. Also I am by myself so don't want to feel like a complete loser as well!:D

3) Things to do on Saturday. Will need to do some shopping (LV. Manadrina Duck, Lanvin etc... Galeries Lafayette). Once I got them out of the way, what would you also recommend.

As I asked last time there is this bar/bistro located on top of a glass building that was used in Sex and the City. I think it is above the Kenzo Building. wouldn't mind spending some time there.

Also what other restaurants will you recommend? I liek a traditional French Bistro setup if possible. Although I might try and see whether I can get a space at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

wendySFO Jun 24, 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh (Post 7950174)
1) When I arrive into Paris, what is the best way to get to my hotel ( I am staying at the Le Meridien Etoile - near Champs Elysee). Metro or Taxi?

Air France has shuttle buses from Charles de Gaulle airport to Paris. Take the line to Place de l'Etoile (not the line to Montparnasse), I recall the first stop will land you right in front of the Le Meridien Etoile hotel. It is around 12 Euro one way. Worked well for me for arrival CDG around 8PM and pickup near Arc de Triomphe around 6AM.

Strawb Jun 24, 2007 10:54 am

Originally Posted by wendySFO (Post 7950337)
Air France has shuttle buses from Charles de Gaulle airport to Paris. Take the line to Place de l'Etoile (not the line to Montparnasse), I recall the first stop will land you right in front of the Le Meridien Etoile hotel. It is around 12 Euro one way. Worked well for me for arrival CDG around 8PM and pickup near Arc de Triomphe around 6AM.

That would be helpful if the OP is actually flying into CDG. ;)

Taxi would be easier and quicker but, if you prefer, you can take the RER Line B to Chatelet Les Halles (one stop) and transfer on to RER Line A to Charles De Gualle Etoile (2 stops) and then Metro Line 1 to Porte Maillot (2 stops). Hotel is a short walk from here. A single ticket is €1.40, cheaper if you buy a carnet of 10 tickets.

wendySFO Jun 24, 2007 11:47 am

Originally Posted by UK flyer (Post 7950468)
That would be helpful if the OP is actually flying into CDG. ;)

Taxi would be easier and quicker but, if you prefer, you can take the RER Line B to Chatelet Les Halles (one stop) and transfer on to RER Line A to Charles De Gualle Etoile (2 stops) and then Metro Line 1 to Porte Maillot (2 stops). Hotel is a short walk from here. A single ticket is €1.40, cheaper if you buy a carnet of 10 tickets.

Sorry it slip my mind OP is actually taking the train.

iff Jun 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by UK flyer (Post 7950468)

A taxi for that route and time of day will probably cost about 10 euros.

If taking public transport, wouldn't it be simpler to take the RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles and then transfer to Line 1 at Chatelet? Or is the station layout such that it makes sense to transfer to RER A first?

doglover Jun 24, 2007 12:49 pm

The metro decision should also take into account the amount of luggage you're carrying and your desire to save $ vs. figuring out where to go while hauling your luggage around.

You will likely end up carrying your luggage up and down stairs -- if you have a single carryon size bag this can be easy. If you multiple bags or a larger bag take the taxi.

I'm not personally familiar with the ease of finding the Le Meridian from the metro stop. If it's not right up the stairs or escalator (if the stop has one) you may need to spend a few minutes getting your bearings and reading a map by streetlight.

Given the late arrival I would personally go for the taxi. Easier with luggage, door to door, and likely much faster.

Strawb Jun 24, 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by iff (Post 7950630)
If taking public transport, wouldn't it be simpler to take the RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles and then transfer to Line 1 at Chatelet? Or is the station layout such that it makes sense to transfer to RER A first?

If travelling in one general direction, RER B to RER A is a simple cross-platform change at Chatelet, but, as the OP needs to go in the other direction, he can't do this so would have to change platforms via the stairs or escalators. Still very easy to do - transfer to Line 1 involves a very long walk, which may be a little easier to do at Charles de Gualle Etoile.

b1513 Jun 24, 2007 6:13 pm

I say take a cab. It's the easiest..............no fuss, no muss.

broadwayboy Jun 24, 2007 7:48 pm

There are a number of small MANDARINA DUCK stores in Paris. There is also a small selection in Lafayette Men's ground floor (where you can get your LANVIN items). If you don't find what you're looking for there, head to Blvd Madelaine for a small MD boutique, very near to MADELIOS, a men's dept store.

If you want to get LV and MD within the same area, go to St Germain Des Pres (line 4). LV is right in front of the church, next to Cafe Les Deux Magots (I think). An MD store is in rue Bonaparte, in the corner, 1 minute walk from LV. And when you're on rue Bonaparte, don't forget to get some mini macaroons and Ispahan from PIERRE HERME (quite possibly earth's best pastry). You're also few steps from AGNES B HOMME.

Isn't the bistro in Kenzo Building called KONG? It's designed by Philippe Starck and even though the decor is nice (typical Starck), I heard food is just so so. IIRC there is also Yo Sushi in the ground floor or basement level. If I were you, I'd skip KONG and head to ATELIER. If you don't mind eating early, they take reservation for 6:30PM seating. GAYA, a seafood rest across from ATELIER is also awesome (and they are both very pricey)

For a true Parisian dining experience, I would also recommend CHEZ GEORGES and LE COMPTOIR. Small, cramped, smoky, and absolutely delicious food!

Have fun! I wish I were going there this weekend.

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh (Post 7950174)
OK I finally managed to book my Eurostar tix (a bit expensive at £145 but manage to get First class on the way back for just £5 more)

I will be arriving into Paris at around 9:30ish on Friday night and leaving on Sunday night 9pmish.

OK to be more specific my questions are:

2) What to do on Friday night? Resturants and bars that open past 12am? Any good recommendations? DOnt' want somewhere too over the top or noisy. Also I am by myself so don't want to feel like a complete loser as well!:D

3) Things to do on Saturday. Will need to do some shopping (LV. Manadrina Duck, Lanvin etc... Galeries Lafayette). Once I got them out of the way, what would you also recommend.

As I asked last time there is this bar/bistro located on top of a glass building that was used in Sex and the City. I think it is above the Kenzo Building. wouldn't mind spending some time there.

Also what other restaurants will you recommend? I liek a traditional French Bistro setup if possible. Although I might try and see whether I can get a space at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon.

Kate_Canuck Jun 28, 2007 3:56 am

If your Paris trip is this weekend (June 29-July 1), then you are in luck from a shopping perspective. The semi-annual sales started yesterday, and there are some great bargains to be had. I don't think any of the department stores will be open on Sunday (they can do this about 5 times a year and will probably do it once during this sale period, but not this weekend); however, they will stay open a little later than usual on Saturday (until 8 pm). There will be some Sunday shopping options elsewhere though (e.g. the Marais, Champs-Elysees) and the sales will be taking place there, too. The bad news is that the stores will be jam-packed. If you want to shop, plan to go as early as possible in the morning and/or as late as possible in the early evening, when the crowds will have thinned out a bit.