Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Where to go for a blow out dinner on Saturday ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:37 pm
jhm
Original Poster

phaleesy and I are thinking of visiting Paris again in early June. For a birthday dinner on Saturday, I was just wondering whether people have any recommendations where to go which will be open ? I've had a look at Taillevent, Plaza Athénée and Pierre Gagnaire but they all don't open on Saturday (I thought Pierre Gagnaire does but they e-mailed to say they're shut).

In terms of food, we haven't eaten much in France (and only in modest places in Paris) but we tend to like more traditional food (e.g. Michel Guérard’s Prés d'Eugénie) rather than creative (e.g. Michel Trama's Loges de l'Aubergade where we didn't appreciate at all getting what appeared to be a lobster spring roll!) but not always (e.g. we love Arzak in Spain and have been many times).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by jhm
phaleesy and I are thinking of visiting Paris again in early June. For a birthday dinner on Saturday, I was just wondering whether people have any recommendations where to go which will be open ? I've had a look at Taillevent, Plaza Athénée and Pierre Gagnaire but they all don't open on Saturday (I thought Pierre Gagnaire does but they e-mailed to say they're shut).

In terms of food, we haven't eaten much in France (and only in modest places in Paris) but we tend to like more traditional food (e.g. Michel Guérard’s Prés d'Eugénie) rather than creative (e.g. Michel Trama's Loges de l'Aubergade where we didn't appreciate at all getting what appeared to be a lobster spring roll!) but not always (e.g. we love Arzak in Spain and have been many times).

Le Pre Catelan is spectacular. The chef, Frederic Anton, just receved his third Michelin star. The food is excellent and the place itself is beautiful with a wonderful ambience.

Check it out.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by jhm

Exactly which restaurant at the Hotel Plaza Athénée is closed on a Saturday night? Alain Ducasse? Le Relais?

Are you kidding?
Old May 2, 2007, 2:58 am
jhm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Exactly which restaurant at the Hotel Plaza Athénée is closed on a Saturday night? Alain Ducasse? Le Relais?

Are you kidding?
http://www.plaza-athenee-paris.com/r...ars/alain.html

Reservations
Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athenee :
Tel: +33 1 53 67 65 00
Fax: +33 1 53 67 65 12

Open:

Lunch

Thursdays and Fridays - 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm

Dinner

Monday to Friday - 7:45 pm to 10:15 pm
Old May 2, 2007, 11:30 am

It always amazed me that many of the fine dining type restaurants are closed on Sat. I never could figure that out since here in the US, that's the favorite dining out night. Le Grand Vefour, Les Elysees du Vernet, Pierre Gagnaire, et al, are closed.

There's a very good site called reservethebest.com that lists a load of restaurants with their menus and prices, as well as hours. You can search by price, district, cuisine, etc. We used the site to make reservations twice and it worked out fine.

Bobette
Old May 2, 2007, 3:22 pm
jhm
Original Poster

Bobette, thanks for the recommendation of Le Pre Catelan and reservethebest.com!

We've now decided to fly from Paris to Rennes in Brittany for lunch at Les Maisons de Bricourt and will try Paris again some other time (perhaps during a weekday!).
Old May 2, 2007, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by jhm
Bobette, thanks for the recommendation of Le Pre Catelan and reservethebest.com!

We've now decided to fly from Paris to Rennes in Brittany for lunch at Les Maisons de Bricourt and will try Paris again some other time (perhaps during a weekday!).

I googled it and I'm jealous. Please report back when you return home.

Bobette
Old May 2, 2007, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Wow! I'm shocked.

Ducasse is in the space formerly occupied by Le Regence which was indeed open on Saturday nights.

Last edited by Landing Gear; May 13, 2007 at 11:36 am Reason: typo corrected
Old May 4, 2007, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jhm
fly

its alot quicker using the TGV !!!
Old May 4, 2007, 4:29 pm
jhm
Original Poster

... but phaleesy wants the two AF segments and miles! And is even talking about FB silver ?!?
Old May 5, 2007, 12:18 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Fly ^
Old May 5, 2007, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Fly ^
but in that case don't fly any booking class
Old May 13, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I can't wait to get back and eat at Christian Constant's Le Violon d'Ingres
http://www.leviolondingres.com/

It's a very nice place with killer food, but not near as stuffy as some of the over-the-top restaurants.
Old May 13, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Platunum
If L'Astrance is open on the night you want, I'd book it.
It's wonderful.

It's on rue Beethoven in the 16th. Here's a link from one review.

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/article...nk.restaurants
Old May 14, 2007, 4:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.

Originally Posted by MollyNYC
If L'Astrance is open on the night you want, I'd book it.
L'Astrance is shut on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. It also requires 4 to 6 weeks reservation!

I'd be in Paris from Thursday afternoon. I could therefore stuff my face on Thursday and Friday until jhm arrives for the weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.