3 Questions about CDG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Questions about CDG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
3 Questions about CDG

1 and 2) Is the post office in CDG 1 landside and, if so, do they sell those small boxes you can use for mailing objects?

3) I believe they are currently banning liquids, mousses and gels in carryons, at least on flights to the US. Are there any other restrictions on carryons (eg size)?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
1 and 2) Is the post office in CDG 1 landside and, if so, do they sell those small boxes you can use for mailing objects?

3) I believe they are currently banning liquids, mousses and gels in carryons, at least on flights to the US. Are there any other restrictions on carryons (eg size)?

I didn't' see any post office but a post drop off box in Terminal 2.

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/e...ques_plans.htm

As far as carry-ons. We had a roller with us and they made us to check it in. Only small items such as purses are allowed according to the AA Airport Security.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost

The PO in CDG 1 is downstairs, landside. At least it was 6 months ago-there has been construction in CDG 1 but I'm betting it's still landside.

I don't know if they sell boxes but most POs in France have them. However, we mailed a CD to a Parisian friend fromn that PO a couple of years ago and it never arrived. Draw your own conclusions.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:17 pm
iff

Originally Posted by afang
As far as carry-ons. We had a roller with us and they made us to check it in. Only small items such as purses are allowed according to the AA Airport Security.
This worries me a bit. I will be flying United to and from CDG next month and would have a rolling computer bag (18 x 13 x 7) holding my laptop and CPAP machine, neither of which I want to put in checked baggage. Has anyone had any recent experience with these items, or are they simply making everyone check everything that resembles luggage?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by iff
This worries me a bit. I will be flying United to and from CDG next month and would have a rolling computer bag (18 x 13 x 7) holding my laptop and CPAP machine, neither of which I want to put in checked baggage. Has anyone had any recent experience with these items, or are they simply making everyone check everything that resembles luggage?
I've had no trouble with laptops; flown about 10 segments USA and Italy since Aug. 10.

As to CPAP, I would hope/assume they still allow it. Post in the TS&S forum to find out. Problem is you have to use distilled water, and since you can't carry that, you'll have to waste time finding a source of it in Paris. In the states every pharmacy and grocery stocks bottles, but can anyone let the OP know where to get it in Paris?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:54 am
iff

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
As to CPAP, I would hope/assume they still allow it. Post in the TS&S forum to find out. Problem is you have to use distilled water, and since you can't carry that, you'll have to waste time finding a source of it in Paris. In the states every pharmacy and grocery stocks bottles, but can anyone let the OP know where to get it in Paris?
Thanks, I don't use a humidifier on mine so no need for the water, though I believe in Paris you can find it (eau déminéralisée) in supermarkets.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS, AA, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX
Everything you'll ever need in Paris is available at a Monoprix! It's sort of a super-miniature WalMart, without the "WalMartness"...clothes, groceries, champagne/beer, etc...we picked up a serrated knife and a corkscrew first, then just lived on the wonderful bread, butter, cheese, ham and wine, with it all available from Monoprix...while we did eat out, the groceries came in handy for an afternoon snack after a full day of sightseeing...the weather got colder than I had planned for, so it was off to Monoprix for a couple of turtlenecks...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:Security at CDG

The good and the bad news.
1)Coming into CDG on Aug 30, I didn't notice anything particularly strict. I had an OTC tube of cortisone in my purse that no one noticed, took, etc., either at TSA or CDG.

2)The return from CDG on Sept.22 was an entirely different story. The detax guys were checking lots of bags and parcels much more carefully than usual.
The line at the last X-ray inspection right before the gate took much longer than usual. Besides the usual X-ray of carry ons, purses, coats, everyone was patted down and/or wanded. They were taking their time about it. Since the man in front of me was a totally bilingual senior and the guy behind me was State Dept, don't expect any exceptions. They confiscated my tube of cortisone and I heard lots of sobbing on the plane about confiscated Chanel lipsticks. TSA at IAD was the same as usual:irritating, not particularly efficient, and this time the luggage checkers kept two of my color identifyer straps.

Just allow an extra hour on the inbound;between Detax and Security, I never made it to the RCC for coffee.

Last edited by willie--wonka; Sep 25, 2006 at 6:29 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by willie--wonka
TSA at IAD was the same as usual:irritating, not particularly efficient, and this time the luggage checkers kept two of my color identifyer straps.
Were the straps made of gel????
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:57 pm

Programs: CO Onepass, AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
[
2)The return from CDG on Sept.22 was an entirely different story.

I flew out of CDG to the US on 23 September using CDG as a connection from BCN. Security to the US was very strict with special lines in Terminal E for US bound flights. All hand luggage was x-rayed, passengers patted down and wanded, then you go to a desk where your hand luggage is physically opened and inspected. This, along with passport control took about 30 minutes. Good thing AF was aware of the situation and held all flights!
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Returning from CDG on Sept 21, security was tight.

They confiscated my empty water bottle which had travelled with me from all over US and IAD to LHR without issue but was confiscated at CDG at the X'ray line before the United gate.

The situation was similar to that one described as one day later on Sept 22.

I was pulled aside for further hand search and body pat-down. (2nd round). about 15 to 20% passengers went thru the 2nd round of such. Our plane was delayed by 45 minutes.

Our checked carry-on was labeled "Selected" but ironically was not opened at all. Someone scribbled on the barcoded tag to sign it off. TSA at IAD also cleared it without opening it.

Custom at IAD was super efficient that date though and our bag made it to come home with us from IAD to MIA. I have to say I am impressed by United handling the transit luggages at IAD - very fast and very efficient - I wish it is the same at other airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.