Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris don't miss discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Paris don't miss discussion

My girlfriend and I are headed to Paris at the end of this month and I would like to hear some of your 'Don't miss' suggestions for Paris.

Also, we'll be staying near the Eiffel Tower and would like suggestions on what passes to purchase on the RER. I think we'll be mostly staying in the touristy parts of town, though the girlfriend has mentioned a day trip to Versailles.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:55 am

Dates/days of the week? For transit, the Carte Orange is the best deal, but it depends on when you arrive/depart.

BillJ
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:21 pm

Lots of good Parus unfo here:

http://bonjourparis.ipbhost.com/
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
You will actually be surprised at how many of those 'must see' sites you will remember by yourself. I suggest that on the first day you arrive, take one of those double-decker bus tours. I believe two companies operate them; they run all around the city. It will give you an idea of what there is to see and do in Paris. From there, you can plan an itinerary for yourself.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...47&postcount=3
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcj1
Dates/days of the week? For transit, the Carte Orange is the best deal, but it depends on when you arrive/depart.

BillJ
We'll be arriving on Wednesday (August 30th) and leaving on Monday (September 4)
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs
We'll be arriving on Wednesday (August 30th) and leaving on Monday (September 4)
It's a short trip. I think taking a bus tour on your first morning/afternoon is the way to go. You can plan what you want to do from there.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:20 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
This has actually been discussed loads of times before. Make a search!

Regarding the public transportation pass.
Just buy one for zone 1 which covers central Paris (or actually Paris, but not the suburbs which are technically not Paris) and buy a separate ticket when you want to go to Versailles.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:10 pm

Unless you are arriving at CDG and planning on taking the RER into Paris. If so, get a Carte Orange (will need passport size photo), with a Coupon Hebomadaires for the current week for zones 1-5. That will cover all your travel Wed-Sun, and will get you into Paris and out to Versailles and back as well. 31.50 each coupon.

BillJ
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:13 am
Suspended

You have to check out Angelina's (angelina RumpelMayer) - great hot chocolate, just near les Jardins Tuileries.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Here are a few, somewhat less common suggestions:

1) If you like wine, try to stop by Lavinia (visit www.lavinia.fr) in the late afternoon/early evening on a Saturday (they're open until 8). It's a huge wineshop (more like a wine supermarket) with all sort of interesting bottles to inspect in various price ranges (into the 10s of thousands of euros), plus spirits, some cool wine-related books, toys and gadgets and a tasting bar. I recommend going between 4-8 pm on Saturday because this is when we've had a chance to try a range of free samples. They have some English-speaking staff.

2) Shopping. Two of the Grands Magasins (Galeries Lafayette and Printemps) have their late shopping night (about 9 pm) on Thursday, while Bon Marché on the Left Bank stays open until 9 pm on Wednesday. I prefer Bon Marché, but all are a good bet if you want to shop fast and see a cross-section of international and French fashion labels. Mr. Canuck and I also love BHV, another department store near the Hotel de Ville and the trendy Marais distriction, for its housewares. Sort of a strange thing to shop for on a holiday - but the basement hardware store is nirvana for do-it-yourselfers, even if you don't buy anything, and it also has a great little section devoted to fixing up your wine cellar. A lot of shops in the Marais are open on Sunday and it's a nice area to go for Sunday brunch. (There used to be a fairly large Jewish population, which is why it's open on Sunday but not Saturday - and there are still a number of appetizing restaurants catering to the Jewish population, plus some interesting art galleries.) There are relatively few areas with Sunday shopping: the touristy mall under the Louvre and the touristy Champs-Elysees are the other main areas, but not nearly as interesting as the Marais.

3) Oberkampf (as in Metro Station and rue Oberkampf). You might have already heard of this neighbourhood. This slightly gritty, relatively trendy neighbourhood is worth exploring one evening for drinks and dinner. We had a great, inexpensive meal at a restaurant called Cafe Justine (or something similar).

4) If you rollerblade, you should investigate whether or not the Friday evening (sometimes Sunday afternoon) rollerblading tours will still be continuing around the time of your visit.

5) Museums a little off the beaten track. Our favourite museums so far (and they are a little quirky) are: (1) Musée Carnavalet (museum of the history of Paris - we like the scale models of what neighbourhoods looked like through history); (2) Musée des Arts et Metiers (not a science museum - more a museum of inventions - great for engineers, science types and those who like to understand how various machines changed French society); (3) Museum of the 1930s (in the nearby suburb of Boulogne-Billancourt, easy to reach on the way to or from Versailles); and (4) the Musée Marmottan (but only if you like Impressionist art).
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:45 am

Just like your plans I arrived on a Weds. with my wife and we left on a Monday (about 2 months ago).

I waited until Thursday to try to buy a Carte Orange and both the automated machine and the human attendant wouldn't sell to me. So, if you go that route, you may want to buy it on Wednesday when you get there.

Otherwise, for getting around, we bought Carnets of 10 metro tickets at a time. Worked fine.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:11 am

If you are into cooking, visit E. Dehillerin in the 1st Arrondissement. This is the ultimate chefs store. We would always visit each time we were in Paris and bring back a pan, bowl or unusual utensil.
Not anything unusual, but we always enjoyed taking a boat ride on the river.
Enjoy Paris.
Bob
Old Aug 26, 2006, 3:27 pm

How about some more info on your interests? Dining, sites, shopping, just soaking up the atmosphere, etc? First time to Paris? Ok doing the touristy things?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL
We spent more than a week in Paris but was split up by three days in Brussels. So, for us, it worked out better to buy a couple carnets. You still will need to buy tickets from the airport to the city (at the time we went those were only available from the glassed-in office to the side but may have changed now) and to Versailles.

Don't miss: Angelina (yum, I dream about that hot chocolate), sitting around the fountains at the Jardin des Tuileries and watching people rent and sail boats, the view from the Arc de Triomphe, Les Catacombs (a completely unique and reverent experience, be prepared for a quiet and respectful visit) and taking the Seine boat trip.

Have a wonderful time! I think my heart belongs in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.